yeah its true, I have done little back country backpacking, so as such I'm really very unfamilar with the most effective types of gear. I will definitely take your advice and hold off on the winter camping until I've done more 3 season. I think the Sierra Club does a course (WTC) on back country backpacking, which includes some winter camping training - might give that a go next year.

but anyways the big point for me was to get a tent that could withstand heavy rains over three+ plus days without leaving me drenched inside. Anyone living in the PNW knows what I'm talking about. Oregon's a classic for lots and lots of rain, while Washington and BC can get that plus occasional heavy snowfall in Winter. I assumed that meant a mountaineering tent which is why i've been considering the 4-season. So... I guess I don't really want to bank on "light" rains.. I suspect many if not all three season tents do well in this area. The big question for me is, if not a mountaineering tent, what tent(s) would be most appropriate. In short, I'd rather get something thats well reviewed for these situations, as opposed to what I can barely get away with.