I have taken my dogs in the past on numerous winter trips. My last dog, a Yellow Lab X, did very well out there. Most trips with a dog were via snowmobile until we reached our destination, where he was allowed to roam on National Forest land. I had to bring a pad for him, but had none, so, from my job, I started bringing some beer flats for his pad, as that was all I had for him. It helped quite a bit, but in the mornings, I could barely see where I slept, but could see the melted snow where he slept due to poor insulation under him. He was an outside dog, so he was conditioned already. If I felt him shivering, I would place my jacket over him at night. During the day, he was fine, just lay about on the snow with no concern in the world. I lost him five years ago, so now, I go by myself and on some trips with a group by snowshoe. The snowmobile got us into higher country and away from most people. My lab x, was on at least one trip where it dipped below zero at night, he was fine, just lay in the snow during the remaining sunlight before going in the tent to lay down after dinner.

I observed bloody footprints at times, but then he had that at home too from short hikes in the winter. All I could do was check him out and go back when I saw it. My dogs would lick their feet if needed to remove any ice, that would happen even, just around my house or in the pen.