I believe the Princeton Tec Tactical EOS is the headlamp described by Oregon Mouse, except for the weight. It is voltage regulated, has a large, recessed switch, has a red filter that can be replaced with a blue or green if needed, is bright enough that the red filter can be used even when hiking, the modes start out on low and go increasingly brighter (3 modes and 1 flash mode) to help save batteries, and the new ones currently being made have the Rebel 80 Lumen LED (almost as bright as the Apex). I think it is the best all-around headlamp Princeton Tec makes. I even like the stealth look, especially the tan version. A no frill, made to be used headlamp.

Battery output has always been the question with the EOS headlamps, but an article done by backpackinglight.com showed that it is the longest burning headlamp on the market (216 hours) for 1+ lumen output based on its voltage regulation. This is what they consider useable light. The fact that the Tactical EOS starts out on low will insure that the batteries, especially if using lithiums, will last a long time.