I just bought another Headlamp after seeing the performance of my buddy's Yukon HL LED model cut through a foggy night. I bought it for that and the fact that it's switch is utterly simple. Once for low beam, 2nd time off, 3rd for high beam and the 4th for off.

However, the battery compartment was a *&^%*&& ing hell to open up. I almost had to resort to a screw driver. Finally using a bandana to protect my fingers and yet still after several times opening and shutting the cover it is still really hard to open. Now do all that when it's freezing outside with gloves on, it'd be impossible. And the final straw is this headlamp is too heavy for my needs so am returning it to www.moontrail.com for an exchange for some other gear.

Earlier this year I bought an Icon LED headlamp (Black Diamond) because it's high beam is way powerful compared to my Zenix IQ (B.D.) model which the latter I use all the time, but I loathe the Icon's memory chip switch and it's way too numerous different power settings. I just want HIGH beam and LOW beam one each and that's it. The Icon has at least three of these for each, plus it has a memory chip which after you turn it off, it'll remember where the last power setting was from previous, very frustrating and a waste of having to toggle through all the settings fo find High power.

So to answer your question I'd to find a -simple- LED Headlamp that has the features of Yukon HL simple switch for power settings, is waterproof or at least can be used in pouring heavy rain with no worries, has both a powerful far reaching spot light and an LED or two for closeup (cooking and reading), comes with an over the head strap (don't have to purchase separately like a Petzel model), and a Headlamp which weighs under 6-ounces with either AAA's or AA's I don't care.

Sadly I don't think there is such a Headlamp to these specifications..................yet.

Edited by longhair29 (09/12/08 11:53 AM)