Here's my .02:

- Is a solo trip a good idea? (If no, are there any reasonably priced camping "schools" I could take a trip with?)

It's probably better to take your first few trips with someone who has some experience, but if you don't have someone like that, you should be fine by yourself, especially since you're smart enough to take a cautious approach. For my first trip alone (after several backpacks with others) I hiked in slightly over a mile. I remember being disappointed at how quickly I got to my destination.

- What weather should I keep an eye out for?

Well, bad weather. Seriously, checking the weather report for the area you're headed for should be part of your regular routine.

- What should I look for in a camping knife?

Simple, small, light. Swiss Army Knives are pretty good. The ones that have scissors are particularly useful.

- What should I avoid in a camp site? I wouldn't mind paying for a campground, but I don't want to just have a 10x10 space with electrical hookups. I was thinking of just taking a local leg of the Appalachian Trail and stopping somewhere along there.

Mainly, it should be as flat as possible. Even a slight slant can make sleeping difficult.

- What should I bring food-wise?

Your choice. Light and tasty are my criteria, not necessarily in that order. I usually have instant oatmeal and cocoa for breakfast, with maybe some dried fruit or pre-cooked crisp bacon. Lunch is crackers and cheese, summer sausage, dried fruit, and chocolate. Dinner is either a freeze-dried or home dehydrated meal. Add a Power Bar or similar in case somehow your cooking plans go awry.

- What are the odds of having a black bear rip into my tent in the middle of the night?

Probably close to zero. As others have mentioned, hang the smellables at night or use a bear cannister, and don't take food into the tent.

- Are there any other important rules I might naively ignore only to face severe consequences later?

Make a checklist and use it. Rain gear and warm clothing (including stocking cap and gloves) are a must even when you expect good weather.

Gain some familiarity with map & compass before you go. You should have a topographic map of the area you'll be in.

- Are there any books/survival manuals I can bring with me to try out camping things in the outdoors?

You probably won't want to actually take them along, although many people carry a first-aid book like "Medicine for Mountaineering." As others have mentioned, read The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher. It's very solo-oriented. I'd pick up both the newest edition (IV, as far as I know) and an earlier edition, often available at Goodwill. The gear may be a bit dated, but the basic information is good.

You may find several other of Colin Fletcher's books, "The Thousand Mile Summer," and "The Man Who Walked Through Time" enjoyable, also.