Go for it!

That said, learn all you can before you do. There are a bunch of gear lists on this site and others. It's not the specific brands that matter, but the general idea. You want to stay warm, dry and hydrated. Food is less important overnight (though without it you will not be as comfortable!) so don't sweat that too much. Try everything out before you go and you'll have the confidence that you'll be OK. I read a lot on here and any book I can find on camping/hiking/survival. If you don't want to buy all of them, hang out and read some chapters in a bookstore. I know there's a book specifically for women but I can't recall the name. Really except for the obvious there isn't much different, but my wife liked the book.

Buy everything else and then your pack last. You want to be sure you have enough room and weight capacity to carry YOUR stuff.

That tent should work fine, but you might consider getting a 2 person tent in case you want to bring someone with you sometime. Otherwise you'll have to get another one!

Knives:
You don't need much, but some people like Mora knives:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
Some people only carry a razor blade or tiny swiss army knife. It depends I guess on whether you know baton and improvised shelter techniques.

Camp site:
watch out for overhanging branches/trees otherwise known as "widowmakers" or in your case perhaps "widowermakers"

bears:
hang your food and anything else smelly (even if you wouldn't eat it) like toothpaste and soap. google for PCT method. use the triangle technique (keep your tent/cook site/food storage site at least 200 ft apart from each other)

Edited by jaiden (09/03/08 04:47 PM)