I would do a trial run in your back yard (if you have or can borrow one) or possibly car-camping right next to your car. Or at least some sessions in the yard or the patio or balcony or whatever you have, practicing with your gear. In addition to practice with the stove and cooking, as others have suggested, one skill you really need to acquire is pitching your tent enough times so you can do it without referencing the instructions--at the camp site, in the dark, wind and rain with a flashlight, is not the time to learn! If you don't have a yard, set the tent up in your living room using masking tape instead of stakes. Do it over and over until it becomes second nature.

20 minutes from your car is plenty close enough for escaping should things go south, and this is why I say go ahead, subject to practicing beforehand. You will learn a lot, maybe not all of it pleasant but hopefully all exciting. I've been doing this for 66 years and I still learn something new on every trip!

Since you're going in the fall: check to see when modern firearm hunting seasons are on and, if you go out then, wear LOTS of blaze orange. Better, avoid the main deer season (which I believe in PA is in late November, although it has been a long time since I lived there).

In addition to practicing skills, read as much as you can and check out a variety of backpacking forums. You will find a lot of opposing opinions on a lot of topics, since each of us is an individual with our own likes and dislikes, but you will have a better idea of what you're getting into. Especially read the excellent articles on the home page of this website!

Have a great time! We'd love to have a trip report from you when you return!