Tom,

Having been a long-time Nordic Ski Patroller I think you'd understand that I love winter camping. Congrats on trying it. I offer these suggestions to make it a pleasant experience.

Here's a list W/ some recommended brand names & models of equipment:

TENT> For two people you need a THREE person tent (for bulky winter gear) The Hilleberg tents are the best but in any case I recommend double wall tents with low flys & nice vestibules for boots &/or cooking in foul weather. Ground cloths prevent tent floors from freezing to the snow platform you've stamped out. Plastic drop cloths cut to the floor shape work fine.

SLEEPING BAG> A good -20F or -40F synthetic bag like The North Face or Mt'n. Hardwear. I use a -20F bag W/ a summer down bag inside for -30F or lower)
(AND a vapor barrier liner. Buy waterproof, aluminized fabric & make it yourself.)

SLEEPING PAD> Either a thick 1 1/2" Thermarest or a 1" Thermarest over a RidgeRest closed cell pad. I like the 2 combo pads B/C I sit on the RidgeRest pad when cooking & eating.

SLED (no pack)> Buy Cabela's tough Jet Sled & make your own pulling wands & accoutrements. (look under pulk or sled making online. There's a great site who's name I forget.) A pack in deep snow, even W/ snowshoes or skis, is MISERSBLE.

BOOTS> Something REAL WARM W/ removable liners like felt pacs, so the liners go to bed with you. BUT, wear vapor barrier neoprene sox over thin poly liner sox. The felt liners MUST be kept dry always. This is a big safety issue. Mickey Mouse boots are icebergs in the morning B/C thay sat out all night. (Won't fit in sleeping bags) Frozen feet at breakfast are painful - not to mention dangerous.

STOVE> White gas stoves that have a PROVEN reliability record. I prefer my MSR Dragonfly multifuel stove for its amazing ability to simmer very low to save fuel and to bake with my Outback Oven's fiberglass hood.

CLOTHES> Synthetic only (wool fans notwithstanding) For wind protection nothing beats Gore-Tex shells. Vent them as necessary. ALWAYS take mittens & shells in addition to gloves. This is another winter safety issue.

And, as mentioned, in avalanche territory each person takes the following:
1. Avalanche LESSONS
2. probe poles
3. aluminum snow shovels
4.avalanche beacons
5. an "Avalung"
6. snow info cards (you'll see why during the lessons)

**There's much more so please buy and read "Allen & Mike's Really Cool **Backcountry Ski Book". Yeah, I know you may not ski, but it's really 90% about **winter camping and is THE best book on the subject for new winter campers as **well as those of us with more experience.

Eric

Edited by 300winmag (08/25/08 07:30 PM)