wd:

Just got back to sea level -- the berth I sleep in on the boat is a foot above sea level -- after working on a friend's cabin above Fairplay, CO, for a week at 11,200 feet. I've followed your post and wanted to see if I had any of your symptoms, but didn't. Because of the sea breeze the air's pretty fresh here, so I'm thinking you're right about it being the pollution you're dealing with when you get home.

I had been real worried about doing construction work at that altitude, having had a bad bout with altitude sickness several years ago trying to bag a Collegiate Peak. (Have done plenty of high altitude hiking since then.)

I went back in the archives here and found the Ginko Biloba suggestion (120mg./twice-a-day) and did that and had no problems up there. It helped to 'adjust' in Denver for two days before heading up, I believe. Plus I forced myself to drink alot of water.

For you, well it is the price to pay for getting to do ALL those great hikes you do. I'd pay it to have those outdoor experiences.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)