Glenn, I agree with you. But, as Phat points out, not all beginners even know enough to differentiate between various degrees of lightweight.

Almost anyone can get along fine with almost nothing in good weather, no question about it, but there is no guarantee that a beginner will not find him self or herself in less than ideal conditions, even in summer.

A bad experience, such as getting soaked and cold or going hungry may turn off a beginner from camping altogether, and there is no need for that. I am not suggesting that beginners should only buy whatever is on sale at REI with no concern for weight; carrying less weight is a great idea, but for beginners, I think there are limits.

For example, I usually recommend that a beginner use a canister stove instead of a white gas stove or soda can stove. Why? Because they are relatively cheap, fairly light, easy to use, less likely to act up and you can actually cook on them, as opposed to just heating water, which is about all you can do with a soda can alcohol stove.

I have two of them; I also have three white gas/multifuel stoves and have made several alcohol stoves. I know which one is the easiest to use and I carry that one in my day pack and as a backup in winter. It is a Primus Micron- screw on the canister, turn the valve, hit the striker and it is on. Takes about a minute. Why make it any more complicated than that for someone dealing with everything else?

There are plenty of other examples, but you get the idea.