Quote:
GV:
Beautiful!!! clever idea.......

A number of questions:
Q-1. With the runners, it looks like pulling it in the fluffy powduh would be more difficult than a regular kids sled? In New England hardpack the runners would be OK--i.e. pulling the pulk on ski mobile trails.......

A-1. This is a very good question and one that will only answer itself someday. I gave this question a lot of thought. How do I really think I will use this sled/pack the most. My test ground for the sled will be a cross-country ski place in Maine. I am sure I will be able to pull the sled on the groomed trail with little effort. I will also be able to get off the trail and see how it works in different types of snow. I made the runners 1-1/2" wide. I decided that if that didn't work in fresh like snow I could attach a wider runner to the aluminum ones. I looked for a set of used kids ski's but in Texas all I could find were used Adult ski's. If I have to attach a wider runner I will make them out of Teflon. I expect to make a set of Teflon runner to take with me and attach them up there if they are needed. The guy that runs the ski shop should be able to help me and may have a better idea to try. The real test for me would be to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness in snow and see how it works. If it works then a winter AT Thru-Hike going South someday.

Q-2. the ropes need to attach to your body? are you using a fanny pack? what about the PVC tubing or poles to keep the sled from catching up to you on the downhill?

A-2. Pulling the sled. I do have an old fanny pack that I will use. If you have seen pictures of people pulling the plastic sleds using 2 PVC tubes and crossing them for better control, what I am doing will look about the same. I am using Carbon Fiber Tubes instead of the PVC. You should be able to guess the amount of weight that will save. If you look at the lower front of the sled you will see an eye bolt. That is a connector for the pulling tubes. As a side note the Carbon Fiber Tubes are also my tent poles, my Tripot Legs and maybe my spear for hunting the Woolly Mammoth Shelter Mice.

Q-3. How durable is the pack part? at least in my limited experience and skill, the bag takes a beating against vegetation, rocks, etc. when it is being pulled....

A-3. The pack is made out of 1.9 coated ripstop. I have a military surplus Blaze Orange/Rescue Red color "distress panel marker" that is made out of sort of heavy pack cloth that I will use as a pack cover. This should be strong enough to ward off brush etc that I might run into along the trail and if I need to be found, something easy to spot. I also have a couple of yards of a Spectra ripstop that is very strong I could use if I what to make a pack or a pack cover out of it.

Q-4. how comfortable is the pack on your back?

A-4. The pack carries really nice. The top of the sled part, the Black wood part is made on a slight curve and is very comfortable. You have a large air space between your back and the pack which makes it cool to carry. No heat to turn to sweat to make you wet/cold, etc.
A

Thanks for you nice comments. The idea for a Sled/Pack came from a winter "Dog Sled" trip I went on many years ago. This was up in Maine and a 3-day weekend trip. We would establish a base camp on the edge of a frozen lake and take trips each day from there. Because of the weight of the Wall-Tents and Stoves, food etc half of the group would ski into the camp area and the other half took the dog sleds. I went with the first ski group and plulled a "kids" sled behind me. The guides made their dog sleds and do a workshop for sled making. I asked about making a small sled to pull and looked a lot at the dog sleds. My thought was a sled that could also be used for a pack.

Years passed. I was following a link for making your own snow shoes one night and found a "Boy Scout" web site for making lots of your own gear. There was a link to sleds and I found a set of plans for a sled/pack combo. Flash back a bunch of years and the answer to my old idea was in front of me. I posted the plans to one of the last posts about the Titanium/Aluminum 6.6oz External Pack Frame #45695. I will add that picture later. The sled/pack shown was made out of wood. I though I could make it out of Aluimnum and save some weight and hopefully be stronger. Making the Sled/Pack was like putting a 10,000 piece puzzle together. I started by making a more or less full size cardboard model. This got me started and all the Aluminum I used came from Home Depot. I used a lot pop rivets. When I was finished I made the pack bag. The bag is large to allow me to carry my Down sleeping bag less compressed. The pack part carries really nice.

I have a lot of construction pictures posted at the yahoo "MakeGear" group.

Your Questions: (see above) for my answers.

Edited by gardenville (09/15/04 09:48 PM)