At the risk of sounding like the grumpy old codger: the bracelet gives you 15 feet of cord for about $20. My guess is that about $1 of this will go the Wounded Warrior Project. (which does indeed appear legitimate. I looked at their website, and they appear to comply with all the rules - did I mention I make my living auditing not-for-profit organizations?)

The bracelet company's website indicates that they are a family business, not a charity. "A portion of the PROFITS" (my emphasis) goes to the Wounded Warrior Project. My guess, based on my experience with similar product promotions, is that, after paying for materials and paying wages to the family and other business overhead, there's only about $3 of profit - and they don't say what "portion" gets passed along. Typically, the charity would only receive about a dollar, at most, for each bracelet sold.

You can buy 50 feet of cord for about $4. Why not just buy the cord and make a $15 or $20 donation directly to the Wounded Warrior Project or other charity that supports troops or veterans? (I can think of four or five off the top of my head.)

I used to have the same problem when the school wanted my kids to sell candy, popcorn, or other products. If they sold $500 dollars worth of product, the school got about $20. I always made a direct donation to the band, sports boosters, or other organization and told them my kids would spend their time practicing the instrument or sport or - gasp - studying.

Edited by Glenn (08/01/08 07:33 AM)