Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97746 - 06/11/08 10:37 PM Re: Teaching dogs about poisonous snakes? [Re: 6brnorma]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I suspect that Hootyhoo's problem with the electric collar is due to the fact that this device is one of the most abused training aids--in the hands of an unskilled amateur, it can do horrible things to dogs. Many dogs have become aggressive or neurotic (leading to fear-biting) due to misuse of the electric collar. However, there are times when the e-collar is necessary, and this is one of them--it's the equivalent of spanking your little child who runs out into the street. Neither the curious dog with the rattlesnake nor the little child with a speeding car coming down the street is liable to get a second chance, and carefully controlled aversion therapy is your only hope of saving a life.

Another commonly abused tool is the training or choke collar--my-daughter-the-veterinarian, while in vet school, treated numerous dogs with a bruised or even ruptured esophagus. Her (and my) preference is for the Premier Pet Products Gentle Leader head collar, but that one (if jerked hard) can injure the dog, too. But just because a method can be abused doesn't mean it can't be useful in carefully controlled conditions!

If I were in rattlesnake country, I'd want my dog to have the aversion therapy, too--but only at the hands of an expert.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/11/08 10:38 PM)

#97747 - 06/30/08 01:37 PM Re: Teaching dogs about poisonous snakes? [Re: hootyhoo]
NewMexicoOutdoor Offline

Loc: New Mexico
We wonder the same thing about our 1 yr Cattle Dog. She saw a Bull Snake and didn't seem to want to mess with it.

But we have plenty of Rattlers here!

Dan

#97748 - 07/15/08 10:25 AM Re: Teaching dogs about poisonous snakes? [Re: NewMexicoOutdoor]
lv2fsh Offline

Loc: socal
UPDATE; I had my one year old lab trained yesterday at Pat Calaghan's kennel. The dog is fine and I saw no "abuse" whatsoever. My dog let out one little yip on the first application of the collar when she put her nose approx. 6" from the muzzled snake. I believe the only time the stimulus is turned up to a higher level is that first encounter. The trainer is extremely knowledgable and atuned to the dog. The trainer is not the one leading the dog but is watching the dog to see every time the dog smells,sees or hears the snake. The moment the dog is aware of the snake, the stimulus is applied. I have and have used the e-collar and can say by experience that the level had been turned down for the remainder of the session. The trick is to to "remind" and reenforce the negative experience everytime the dog becomes aware of the snake. It takes a highly trained and talented person with quick reflexes to do this. The training takes only a few minutes and the dog is handled by trained assistants while another assistant stays with the owner and explains what is happening while you observe from a distance. The final test is at the end they put your dog on a 50 foot lead. A snake is placed between you and the dog and you are asked to call your dog. Then they see if how the dog reacts when it becomes aware of the snake. Well my dog and all of the others I observed used just about all of that 50 foot lead to to go as far around that rattling snake as possible. I saw all types of dogs there from scruffy little mutts to bulldogs and dalmations. None seemd to have any ill effects from the training and all did not want to be anywhere near that snake. Again the whole session was only a few minutes long. My dog has hurt herself more stepping on a sticker. Definately much much better than being bitten by a snake and the aftermath.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum