Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93938 - 04/08/08 06:40 PM Platy Clean Stream
hootyhoo Offline

Loc: Cyberspace
I was looking the clean Stream

http://www.platypushydration.com/product_detail.aspx?ProdID=29

I noticed in the photos that the 'clean' bag was used in an upright position - Would this not slow the flow? It appears that the water is filling the bag from the bottom up and would have the weight/pressure of the water that has already filtered above the in flow point.
Can those bags be flipped upside down? it just seems to make more sense to fill the other way - but then there would have to be no air in the bag.

Side question - can the ceramic filter from an msr miniworks be used to gravity filtering without having touse a super long hose and great distance between the bags toprovide enough pressure to force water thru the filter? I just want to know about the filter - I have already solved the problem of having a housing for the filter cartridge itself.

#93939 - 04/13/08 09:11 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: hootyhoo]
frediver Offline

Share the secret, how are you enclosing your filter cartridge to make a gravity filter ?
You should be able to have the bag any way you want, fill bottom up or top down.

#93940 - 04/14/08 02:01 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: hootyhoo]
hootyhoo Offline

No secrets here - I chose to replace my old one instead of paying 40 to just get the ceramic filter- that left me with the original housing. The seals are still in perfect condition, so all I need to do is remove the handle to convert from pump to gravity. If this works I will search for some type of light plumbing pipe of the correct diameter to enclose the ceramic cartridge in an effort to drop the weight. Actually the gaskets are what provides the seal - so the width of the container is not as critical as the length. The main problem is that it may be hard or impossible to find something that weighs less than the original.

#93941 - 04/14/08 03:50 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: hootyhoo]
hootyhoo Offline

Just tested a nalgene lid on the body of the filter - no mods needed to the pump handle - just fit the feed hose to the nalgene lid and let it drip and leave the handle at home - weight of filter 8 ounces with nalgene lid. Add to that the hose, and a dirty water bag (platypus).

#93942 - 04/14/08 03:53 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: hootyhoo]
speyguy Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I just bought a new gravity filter and did some research reading on this subject recently. My guess would be that the position of the lower bag is all for photo opps and that you would want to most likely lay it flat on the ground or upside down. A few people mentioned that as the clean bag fills up with water, that you need to keep an eye on it as it will need to be burped. It seems that there is a fair amount of air that accompanies the clean water. So it may not be a simple case of set it up and walk away. Since I use a MSR Dromedary bag, I took the plastic universal filler cap off of my old Sweetwater filter and use it with my new gravity system on the Dromedary bag as it has the same size mouth as a Nalgene. It has the little hole in it already so it self burps. There were quite a few people that mentioned using a Sawyer brand inline filter available for around $30 with good success. So if you already have the Platy bags, you could do it cheaper yourself by just buying the filter and hose or simply place the filter inline between the hoses of the 2 existing bags. Sorry, I did not read anything about being able to use the ceramic filter in a gravity system. The Pur Hiker Pro is used in a few. It’s my understanding that both the Platy and MSR systems use the same inline filter (just different colors).

#93943 - 04/14/08 05:27 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: speyguy]
hootyhoo Offline

Spey - which gravity filter did you get?

#93944 - 04/14/08 06:04 PM Re: Platy Clean Stream [Re: hootyhoo]
speyguy Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I went with the ULA Amigo which uses a Hiker Pro filter. I had thought about making my own after I read this thread on a DIY one. But after I priced the replacement filter cartridge ($40) and the rest of the pieces I needed, it just made more sense to buy the Amigo. It just came last week and I've only tested it in the bath tub. I wasn't sure if I would like the bag as it is made out of one big flat piece of 1.9 oz rip stop. But it actually fills up pretty easy in only a couple of inches of water.

I like the idea of double Platy set up because you could always use the dirty bag in a pinch by just sterlizing it out with some Aqua Mira or similar chemicals. That way you always have a back up bladder and even the ability to use both at the same time if warranted.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum