Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77121 - 07/30/07 03:08 PM Where can I find tent pole clips???
Garrett Offline

I have recently discovered the joys of making my own gear; and just started making a tarp. Now I am looking forward to the next project, I would like to make a tent / tarp and want to try and do it with out a million guy lines. What I’m looking for (and having a hard time doing it) are tent pole clips. Plastic clips that will attach the tent fabric to the tent poles. Many tent manufactures make these but none will sell them individually. Does anyone know where I can find these?

Thank you for your time and any ideas as to where I can find these will be greatly appreciated.

#77122 - 07/30/07 03:56 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
paulj Offline

Loc: Seattle
Sierra Designs has grip clips, a set of 4 for about $12. There is a ring and center disk part that clamps the fabric. Attached to the disk is a clip that fits around a pole.
paulj

Edited by paulj (07/30/07 11:12 PM)

#77123 - 07/30/07 04:56 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
Weldman Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, Ca
Garrett,

Since you plan to make your own gear and may need other items in the future. Here's a list of who I have used or had some contact through email.

http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html - great for poles and clips

http://www.noahlamport.com/ - 65" silnylon fabric - call for samples

http://owareusa.com/index.html - carries 72" silnylon ( sells fast)

#77124 - 07/30/07 07:59 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: paulj]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
There is also Sierra Design Internal Guy Kit

#77125 - 07/30/07 10:07 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I bought some of the clips like the kind used on the Clip Flashlight from Sierra Designs. Did you try calling them?

#77126 - 07/31/07 01:39 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: billk]
Garrett Offline

I did contact Sierra Designs; they told me that they do not sell their "tent clips" individually. I was hoping for a manufacturer that actually made and sold the plastic or nylon tent clips so that I could incorporate them into a tent / tarp design and make a few of them for friends and family. I would be looking to buy more than just what I would need for one tent, I’d say around 20-30 clips.

Thank you all though for the direction, and please keep any ideas coming!

Garrett

#77127 - 08/01/07 08:48 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
crackers Offline

Loc: New York / Istanbul
show me a picture and i'll see what i can do for a source for you

#77128 - 08/01/07 09:54 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: crackers]
Garrett Offline

These are images from Sierra Designs. They are just an example of what I'm looking for.

Thanks, G-

#77129 - 08/01/07 10:00 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
BrianKelly Offline

Loc: Alabama
From experience, it appears that no-one makes an aftermarket pole clip for the hobbiest builder, at least not available in the States. With 99+% of the tent manufacture being done overseas, most of that specialty small hardware like that never makes it to the states. There probably just isn't the demand for it, other wise you would folks like Quest or OWF carrying them.

You could try contacting DAC or Yunan to see if you could buy some of their clips (I don't believe Easton makes any of their own pole clips). The problem might be that they would want you to buy a case, which may mean a few thousand clips. A small side business perhaps?

#77130 - 08/01/07 10:08 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: BrianKelly]
Garrett Offline

BrianKelly,

Thank you for the reply. I was going to start contacting manufacturers next, good call! But a case of a few thousand clips??? WoW! I would do it if there was the demand, anyone out there want Tent Clips? Just let me know. Lol

#77131 - 08/01/07 10:30 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
crackers Offline

Loc: New York / Istanbul
I'll get you an answer next week from the trade show.

While the other poster is correct that there isn't much manufacturing over here, most of the parts do exist here and are available for prototyping purposes for manufacturers. I don't think that DAC or Easton makes the actal parts though...

#77132 - 08/01/07 10:32 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
BrianKelly Offline

They may not make you buy a case, but I just wanted to prepare you for what you might face. Just part of the fun of MYOG!

As an alternative, you could do short sleeves instead of pole clips. Just use a loop of webbing/ grosgrain, or create a loop out of doubled over fabric (helps use up the waste). Big Agnes did the fabric loops on their Seedhouse SL's a few seasons ago and it seemed to work OK (or at least I didn't hear any complaints). You would lose some of the convenience of pole clips, but would still save over full sleeves.

#77133 - 08/01/07 10:37 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: crackers]
BrianKelly Offline

They may not manufacture them, but I know DAC at least brands their own clip, the Twist Clip, as it is highlighted on Big Agnes' website for the Emerald Mountain tents. I thought Yunan did as well but I couldn't find any mention of it.

#77134 - 08/01/07 11:31 AM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
paulj Offline

Quote:

[image]

This is the type of clip that is included in the SD grip clip set, but they will end up costing $3 each.

Still for one tent they could be worth it, especially if you want to experiment with the placement of the clips, or have other uses for the 'grip clip' part.

But you can get the 'grip clip' part in bulk from these people:
http://www.shelter-systems.com/gripclips/products.html
Their black size (20 for $25) is the same as what SD uses. This black light weight size has a slot that takes webbing (as with the SD product), but other grip clip sizes have two small holes that take a knoted string.

Seattle Fabrics
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/products.html
is a good source of hardware, but I don't see anything quite like what you want.

paulj

Edited by paulj (08/01/07 11:35 AM)

#77135 - 08/01/07 12:24 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: paulj]
Garrett Offline

Paulj:

Thank you very muchfor the info, I have visited those sites and both have "almost" what I'm looking for. I just wish that a company sold clips that are similar to the ones found on most major tents today. They must have either patents or tent manufacturers have companies who make these clips exclusively for them.

I can’t afford to have a plastic company prototype one for me, those costs plus tooling fees and the sheer volume of clips you would have to buy would exceed thousands of dollars; unless there was a huge market in the MYOG world that wanted or would use these tent clips, I couldn't see doing that.

And the hunt continues!!!

G-

Edited by Garrett (08/01/07 01:05 PM)

#77136 - 08/01/07 01:10 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
ToddHeyn Offline

Loc: Easton, PA
You may want to check out this website

ITWNexus

They manufacture plastic parts for use in camping equiptment. The link will take you to a sample order page that will allow you to order up to 5 parts for FREE!!!

I hope that this leads you to what you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Todd Heyn

#77137 - 08/01/07 01:14 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
jumping out of the box. Why does it have to be the plastic things?

Ace is the place

#77138 - 08/01/07 01:29 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
paulj Offline

The white grip clips are labeled:
Shelter Systems, pat no 4308647
The black ones (from both sources) add
Sierra Designs
(same pat no)
The hook part, that you are interested in, just has 'SD' molded on it.
The clip and hook are joined with a 1 1/2" loop of 1/2" ribbon.

The patent for the plug/collar part dates from about 1980. The idea for a pole clip probably wasn't patented (too obvious), though specific shapes can get a 'design patent'. I don't find anything of this sort for Sierra Designs.

Keep in mind that the pole hook is designed to fit a specific diameter of pole. Ideally the opening is a bit smaller than the diameter, so it has to flex when you attach it. The clips on my Kelty Zen tent are designed for the same size pole, but are quite as beefy.

What it comes down to, is that there isn't much of a consumer level demand for this product. People sew clothes, packs, and tarps, but few try to make a full blown tent.

Here's a different idea - sew the same 1/2 webbing to the tent, but use small center or side release buckle. You might be able find something small enough under the pet collar or bicycle helmet hardware sections. Some tents use buckles like this to secure unzipped tent doors. Door flaps are also secured with webbing ties, or ball and loop.

paulj

#77139 - 08/01/07 01:31 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: coyotemaster]
Garrett Offline

Out of the box thinking is what is going to solve this little problem. I was suggesting plastic because of the weight factor. Also I would think that a metal product would damage the tent / tarp material while in a stuff sac and possiblly the poles. I have thought about the small aluminum D-rings before. They would work but not like it was a clip specifically designed for the tent poles and that is what I'm trying to find; tent pole clips specifically designed for tent poles. I really appreciate the help, and any further sugestions are always welcome.

G-

#77140 - 08/01/07 01:54 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: paulj]
Garrett Offline

Look what I found!!!!!!!!!! National Moulding makes Tent Hooks(as they call them) and stoppers that may also be able to be used. BUT!!!! They only sell thru distributors. Now to find a distrinutor who stocks or can get them.

G-

http://www.nationalmolding.it/natlmold/specialty.html#TentHooks

#77141 - 08/01/07 02:54 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
paulj Offline

I have a Kelty tarp (carport) that uses pole clips and toggles like that.

Kelty also uses wire spring clips that fit inside the ends of tent poles.

paulj

#77142 - 08/01/07 03:27 PM Update: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: paulj]
Garrett Offline

I have called every major distributor (for the west coast) that Duraflex lists on their website; no one carries them or is even willing to order them without getting 5000 or so. I guess that they are made in the Duraflex China plant, and are difficult to come by. Go figure! I am starting to think that I will never find these “tent pole clips” that have eluded us all, and will have to go with a different option. I was hoping that the combined brain power on this forum would be able to pull a rabbit out of it hat.

I haven’t given up yet!

Keep the ideas coming?

#77143 - 08/01/07 04:34 PM Re: Update: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
pennys Offline

Loc: Washington
Quote:

Keep the ideas coming?

find someone with a dead SD tent and rob the clips off of it.

#77144 - 08/02/07 12:42 AM Re: Update: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
paulj Offline

Have you seen this source?
http://www.questoutfitters.com/tent_poles.htm#TENT%20CLIPS

I had them in my favorites as a tent pole source.

paulj

Edited by paulj (08/03/07 04:31 PM)

#77145 - 08/02/07 02:54 PM Re: Where can I find tent pole clips??? [Re: Garrett]
TurkeyBacon Offline

Loc: Boston
The big dissadvantage of sleeves seems to be you would need to be exact and very few DIY'ers have CAD experience. I can think of a simple way to give yourself more trial and error without hurting your tent. Sew a small strip of fabric in the tent seam and then sew the sleeve to this strip. That way you can sew and resew the sleeve to the strip and not put holes in your tent body. Sew a very short webbing loop to the seam and then use paracord to make the loop that secures the pole. Paracord can be tied and retied to the correct length. Another idea. Use the paracord to loop over the tent pole and secure it with a button type closer.
If I were to personally do it, the sleeve and paracord/button idea would seem to be best. Or scrap an old tent and use those.
TB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum