Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#201128 - 06/07/18 01:41 PM Help neede with clothing
SQWIB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Actually I need help with a shirt.

I hike in Patagonia Capilene 2 short sleeve shirts and when at camp like to switch out to a cotton Tee for around the fire and sleeping
My dilemma is the side seam on the capilene 2 when hiking, it starts to get itchy on the side seams just a bit above my waist. Any recommendations for a similar shirt without this seam?
I'm assuming the seam is designed for use with a Backpack.

Heres the shirt, note the seam.

Patagonia Capilene T

Edited by SQWIB (06/07/18 01:41 PM)

#201129 - 06/07/18 01:56 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
SQWIB Offline

I really like the seam placement on these but I'm not spending 70 bucks on a shirt

Rab Merino 120

They had a Mass drop for 40 bucks but not in my size

#201133 - 06/07/18 03:34 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I use the Outdoor Research Sequence Duo T in cool weather, and have never had an issue with itching due to side seams - but I don’t know if that’s due to construction of the garment, or just my own personal sensitivity level to such things. The bad news? They cost $50.

In the 90-degree, 90% humidity of an Ohio Valley summer, a merino-blend anything is just too hot, so I use the OR Echo series T-shirts. A bit of a used-Kleenex feel, but they do a good job of moving moisture away from me and letting it evaporate (or what passes for “evaporate” in such conditions.)

#201135 - 06/07/18 05:38 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have hiked in a Capilene 2 shirt (long sleeve) for years, no problems (in fact, it's the same shirt since 2007). That may be due to my being female and wearing a woman's shirt. However, regardless of gender, everyone's body is a bit different.

There are a number of other brands of synthetic base layer shirts around; I suggest getting thee to stores and trying on different brands! Don't neglect the athletic departments of big box stores, where you may find what you need for a lot cheaper than Patagucci! (I like Patagonia because of its conservation stance, butI would ditch my shirt in an instant if I had your problems.) Amazon has pages and pages of men's base layer shirts, but of course you can't see the seams without ordering.

The time I went off for a family backpacking trip leaving behind the clothes I planned to wear when hiking, my son loaned me an Under Armor shirt. That worked just fine.

I ike merino wool for base layers, but when it's exposed, it doesn't wear nearly as well as synthetic--which makes it even more expensive! And, as Glenn mentions, in Ohio humidity, just the thought of wool is enough to produce a third degree burn! (I just returned from a family wedding back there)

Edited by OregonMouse (06/07/18 05:41 PM)

#201138 - 06/08/18 12:11 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: OregonMouse]
SQWIB Offline

I ordered the Rab Merino from mass drop I got the Large. I'm not quite an XL but not quite a L either.

The main reason going for the XL is due to being a slim fit.
I have a bit of a belly and pretty broad in the chest area

The Capilene 2 shirts only bother me in that one spot but on both shirts, I have sissy skin, even a grain of sand or a wrinkle in my sock drives me nuts.

#201139 - 06/08/18 12:17 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
SQWIB Offline

I usually wear a Railriders Therma-wool long sleeve shirt over top of the capliene 2

#201149 - 06/08/18 09:36 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
You would hope that expensive shirts have finished inside seams but that is not always the case. The inside seam should be flat and smooth. I have some Ibex light weight wool shirts and they have wonderfully smooth inside seams.

Three solutions:

1) just wear the shirt inside out
2) if you sew, buy some seam tape and cover the rough inside seam. Use the seam tape that has little folds on each side. Seam tape comes in both synthetics or cotton. Not sure the shirt is worth the cost of having a seamstress do this for you.
3) wear a very light smooth tank top, inside out, under the shirt, if you are freaked out by others seeing you wear visible clothing inside out.

#201408 - 07/19/18 02:09 AM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
Billy02 Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA.
When its hot i go for a simple dry fit shirt, and when its cold i go for a full selves thermal.

#201487 - 08/03/18 05:20 PM Re: Help neede with clothing [Re: SQWIB]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
A little heads up for you...The Patagonia Capilene 2 has extra seams that run from front to back over the middle of the shoulders, which are absent in the Capilene 1, and when using a backpack, the weight of the shoulder straps will press onto these additional seams, making the Capilene 2 more uncomfortable to wear when hiking than the Capilene 1.
Usually, the lighter the hiking equipment is, the more expensive it is but although the Capilene 1 is a lot lighter than the Capilene 2 (80g vs 148g) it's actually about 10 Dollars cheaper!
The main problem with either Capilene is that they do not offer the wearer much sun protection...Only SPF 15-20.
After much research I went for the ultralight Rab Interval instead...It's 2g lighter than the Capilene 1, yet manages to offer SPF 35+ sun protection, and its about 10 dollars cheaper than the Capilene 1 (about £20 cheaper than the Capilene 2), so you can buy 2 Rab Intervals for the price of one Capilene 2!

Edited by Alf (08/03/18 05:24 PM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum