Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200850 - 04/24/18 09:46 PM Ripstop - NOT!
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
I just received some fabric I ordered for a couple of projects, and am pretty disappointed, and wondering if anyone else has run into this.

First, I ordered some 400x300 nylon/polyester "diamond ripstop" and discovered that it's ripstop in one direction only. That is, it tears quite easily in the longitudinal direction, but going across the fabric from selvage to selvage, the ripstop grid stops the tearing.

Before I go on, I should mention that the way I'm testing these fabrics is by making about a 1" cut, then tearing it by hand. There's a machine for this, but I'm not quite that well-equipped.

So, out of curiosity, I also tested the other fabrics I ordered, namely, 1.9oz coated ripstop nylon (2 colors), 1.9oz silnylon, and 330d Cordura.

The Cordura was fine.

All the remaining fabrics ripped easily in BOTH directions! So I tested some other 1.9oz ripstop I'd had for a while (from the same source). It tore easily, too. Then I tested a piece from a different source (The Rain Shed) and as soon as I hit one of the ripstop threads, it wouldn't tear any further (as it should be).

Upon further examination, it appears that the easy-tearing fabric was just woven to look like ripstop nylon. It's a little difficult to tell on coated material, but with a jeweler's loupe you can see it if you sort of shred the fabric.

So, is this common now? I haven't bought any ripstop fabric for a while.

I'm not naming the source until I find out more. I mean, if everybody's selling this pretend-ripstop I can't blame them too much. They are one of the major suppliers. I did email them my displeasure, though.

Later...I checked a few older pieces of 1.9oz ripstop, both coated and uncoated, and got the same results. That is, they tore easily once cut. So, I've probably used this material in several packs without realizing it. I've also determined that I can't always tell, even under magnification, which is the real thing. It occurs to me that the difference could be the type of nylon, i.e., the tenacity...whether its nylon 6 or nylon 6/6 or whatever.

I realize that tear strength isn't the only consideration in selecting fabric, but it's driving me nuts anyway.

Edited by Bill Kennedy (04/25/18 01:12 AM)

#200851 - 04/25/18 10:00 AM Re: Ripstop - NOT! [Re: Bill Kennedy]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I'm really interested to hear what you find out!

#200853 - 04/25/18 01:10 PM Re: Ripstop - NOT! [Re: Bill Kennedy]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
I haven't the foggiest idea, though I remember reading on another forum that some DIYers are not big fans of the diamond grid. They felt it was only added for looks and that it added weight to the fabric but did not significantly change the mechanical characteristics. Perhaps they had a similar experience to you.

I would consider Richard Nisley the ultimate expert on this. I think this is his website: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai3ydnM5MNiZlWn-bNAt1Uuy7T1V

Though that link doesn't work from my office computer (probably a firewall issue).

#200855 - 04/25/18 09:23 PM Re: Ripstop - NOT! [Re: 4evrplan]
Bill Kennedy Offline

I called The Rain Shed, as they've been very helpful in the past, and spoke their buyer, who said I'd be welcome to test a few samples. I hadn't been there in a few years (used to live close by, but no longer) so I drove down to Albany.

She let me tear fabric to my heart's content, which I much appreciated. She also passed along some helpful information, based on her experience. Understand that I'm not quoting her directly, and I don't want to put words in her mouth. This is just my understanding.

Apparently, in years gone by, any fabric labeled, say, "1.9oz coated ripstop" was likely to be pretty much the same. These days, manufacturers use different weaves, materials, processes, etc. in order to cut costs and appeal to different markets. At least some "ripstop" weaves are mostly cosmetic.

Also, fabric normally tears more easily in one direction than the other. I guess I didn't realize that.

I tear-tested these while I was there:

400x300 diamond ripstop - looks identical to what I purchased elsewhere, and tore in the same way, that is, easily in the longitudinal way (warp, I think) and very difficult in the other direction (weft).

1.3oz (30d) silnylon - very difficult to tear in either direction. This is "silicone impregnated nylon." There's also silicone coated nylon (coated one side), and nylon coated on both sides with a combination of silicone and polyurethane. Both of these tore pretty readily, and were difficult to tell apart visually from the impregnated nylon without looking very closely.

70d silnylon (should be about 1.9oz, but not specified.)- tore pretty easily in both directions. I think this is coated, not impregnated.

70d (1.9oz) PU coated ripstop - tore fairly easily, maybe a little tougher than the stuff I had ordered before, but not much. As before, I couldn't really detect much of a rip-stopping effect.

210d coated oxford - tearable, but of course tougher than the lighter material. Quite a bit tougher than some of the same denier and weight that I used to have. That stuff was so weak I never used it, and assumed it was to be avoided. Maybe not.
I have a piece of 210d ripstop (that I got from RCT Fabrics before they quit business) and it's very hard to tear. I mentioned this to the lady at the Rain Shed (stupidly didn't get her name) and she said it was probably a special order made for some manufacturer.

So, I guess what I learned is that it's kind of a crapshoot, and I should worry less about it. Still, it irritates me that you can buy "ripstop" material that isn't really ripstop.

I bought some of the 210d coated oxford, and in case anyone's interested, it's 2.95 oz/sq.yd. The 400x300 diamond ripstop is 4.56 oz/sq.yd. Measured in a highly scientific manner with a tape measure and a postal scale.

Interesting that the 210d oxford weighs only slightly more than the 70d 1.9oz PU coated ripstop (2.7oz). Maybe the coating on the 70d is that much heavier.

Also I notice that some web sites (like the Rain Shed) are listing fabric weight by the linear, or running yard. I wish they wouldn't do that. It frightens and confuses me.

#200856 - 04/25/18 09:24 PM Re: Ripstop - NOT! [Re: BZH]
Bill Kennedy Offline

I couldn't make the link work. I got redirected to another site that wanted me to log in.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum