Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200180 - 02/06/18 09:35 AM Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I got except for a 5 month position with the US forestry Dept in Medicine Bow as a volunteer with a small stipend. It will be from May until the end of Sept. I also have an application in with the US forestry Dept in Sawtooth. Im waiting on approval because I will have a dog with me and I will be living in an Alaknak tent. I will be working 4 days a week and backpacking the rest.

I love Sawtooth. Its one of my favorite places in the US to backpack. With Sawtooth I also get to hike the White Clouds and Frank Church wilderness. I have never been to Medicine Bow but I hear it is similar to Sawtooth. With Medicine Bow I get the Wind River Range, Northern Colorado, and The Big Horns and Maybe the Tentons.

Originally was going to Alaska but changed my mine. Also thinking about putting in some applications for Oregon but I dont know much about the area. I know OregonMouse might recommend some national forests

#200192 - 02/06/18 10:01 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Congratulations Todd. You'll be a long way from home, but I bet you'll have a great time.

#200194 - 02/07/18 12:33 AM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: 4evrplan]
toddfw2003 Offline

I sure hope so. Im sure it will beat the lone star trail in summer lol. The Person interviewing me told me it get hot there. 85 degrees in the Peak of summer but cools off into the 40s at night. I told him Houston is 100 degrees in the peak of summer with 100 percent humidity and it cools down to about 95 at night. Told him I think I will be ok with 85 as the high lol

#200196 - 02/07/18 09:50 AM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've heard the like from northerners countless times, and I'm always amused by it. But, it's really the humidity that gets you, not the heat, as I'm sure you're well aware as a Houstonian. I vividly remember one August Saturday I was staying with friends that lived in Houston at the time. I walked out in the middle of the day, and their packed suburban street was completely abandoned, not a soul in sight, not a sound. It was downright spooky. I lived in the midwest when I was little, and the August Saturday streets in those higher, dryer, latitudes would have been full of people enjoying their summer.

#200197 - 02/07/18 10:30 AM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Medicine Bow is a cool area but I would not put it on a par with the Sawtooth area.
Only been to the Sawtooths once and loved it. Been to the Medicine Bows many times and love it as well. I did a page on the range on another site that may shed some light on it for you if you're not familiar with it.
https://www.summitpost.org/medicine-bow-mountains/616371

Northern Colorado will certainly been within reach, the Winds and the Bighorns will take you at least 3-1/2 to 4 hours to reach, with the Tetons a bit farther out.
Good luck!
Bill

#200206 - 02/08/18 08:50 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: HPD]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By HPD
Medicine Bow is a cool area but I would not put it on a par with the Sawtooth area.
Only been to the Sawtooths once and loved it. Been to the Medicine Bows many times and love it as well. I did a page on the range on another site that may shed some light on it for you if you're not familiar with it.
https://www.summitpost.org/medicine-bow-mountains/616371

Northern Colorado will certainly been within reach, the Winds and the Bighorns will take you at least 3-1/2 to 4 hours to reach, with the Tetons a bit farther out.
Good luck!
Bill

Thanks so much. Very interesting read. It looks really pretty there.

I love sawtooth, Its the prettiest place I have backpacked in the US. I think it is Almost as pretty as Banff. I was also just just offered on position off grid in the Wyoming range along the grey river. That would be a great location but I would be living in a tent in grizzly country. Makes me a little nervous. And got an offer just south of Cour D Alene, Id. The only one that hasnt fully committed is Sawtooth.

If Sawtooth doesnt commit I will probably do Medicine Bow. Coming from living in Houston, that isnt a bad place to spend the summer. Im a big fan of camping out next to an alpine lake. Seems like Medicine bow has plenty of them

#200208 - 02/09/18 02:13 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
HPD Offline

It is a very pretty area. Not as big, wild and spectacular as the Sawtooths but cool none the less. I'm assuming when you say Medicine Bow that you mean the NF by that name and I'm guessing that you would be working somewhere in the Snowy Range, west of Laramie? And you're right, no grizzlies there. You would have closer access to "civilization" at Laramie, Fort Collins and the Denver/Boulder area if you need it.

The Greys River area is cool and quite remote in terms of access to the fruits of civilization. I'm guessing you're right about griz being in there. I drove the length of the river many years ago, spending about 5 days in there with my family and remote is the operative word.

Don't know much about Cour D Alene other than I've been through there a few times-Big Lake/Lots of trees.

If you do go to Medicine Bow let me know. It's about 2 hrs from where I live. Maybe we'd have a chance to get together for a hike or a beer!
Hope it works out for you.
Bill

#200209 - 02/09/18 04:30 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: HPD]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Since the Medicine Bow NF now includes northern Colorado's Park Range on the west side of North Park (and east of Steamboat Springs) (the former Routt NF) and the Flat Tops, you might be in northern Colorado.

It's a very large and spread-out national forest and includes the Laramie Mts. east of Laramie, WY, the Snowy Range about 30 miles west of Laramie, the "Sierra Madre" range west of Saratoga, WY, northern Colorado's Park Range (north and east of Steamboat Springs), and the Flat Tops (southwest of Steamboat Springs). The Thunder Basin National Grassland is also under their jurisdiction.

Did they say what ranger district you'll be assigned to?

#200210 - 02/09/18 11:48 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Since the Medicine Bow NF now includes northern Colorado's Park Range on the west side of North Park (and east of Steamboat Springs) (the former Routt NF) and the Flat Tops, you might be in northern Colorado.

It's a very large and spread-out national forest and includes the Laramie Mts. east of Laramie, WY, the Snowy Range about 30 miles west of Laramie, the "Sierra Madre" range west of Saratoga, WY, northern Colorado's Park Range (north and east of Steamboat Springs), and the Flat Tops (southwest of Steamboat Springs). The Thunder Basin National Grassland is also under their jurisdiction.

Did they say what ranger district you'll be assigned to?

I dont remember. Its out of Saratoga Wy. I will be living about 2 miles from the CO border but in Wyoming. IM still holding out for Sawtooth. Its my 1st choice

#200216 - 02/10/18 02:46 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
OregonMouse Offline

Saratoga means you'll be covering the Sierra Madre range (Continental Divide) just west, and the western part of the Snowy Range, just east. Convenient distance for hiking from both, as well as a very short drive from northern Colorado (or just get on the CDT and hike south!). Saratoga is in the North Platte River valley and is, IMHO, quite pleasant.

I grew up in Laramie, and my parents and I did a 6 weeks horse packing trip in northern Colorado every summer. That was a long time ago, though!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/10/18 02:47 PM)

#200221 - 02/10/18 10:38 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Saratoga means you'll be covering the Sierra Madre range (Continental Divide) just west, and the western part of the Snowy Range, just east. Convenient distance for hiking from both, as well as a very short drive from northern Colorado (or just get on the CDT and hike south!). Saratoga is in the North Platte River valley and is, IMHO, quite pleasant.

I grew up in Laramie, and my parents and I did a 6 weeks horse packing trip in northern Colorado every summer. That was a long time ago, though!

Since you know the area the exact location I will be is Hogs Park Resevoir. I started checking out there area. I have a lot of options for backpacking. Northern Co looks nice too. A lot of pretty alpine lakes to backpack to

#200222 - 02/11/18 12:46 PM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
OregonMouse Offline

Yes, I was there in 2009. Unfortunately, lots of beetle-killed trees, but the Encampment River and the surrounding meadows are beautiful. The beetle has pretty much killed most of the lodgepole pine in all the Rockies. You learn to ignore it and enjoy the parts that are still beautiful (higher altitude).

#200230 - 02/12/18 10:58 AM Re: Sawtooths or Medicine Bow, Wyoming [Re: toddfw2003]
HPD Offline

Hog Park Res puts you just north of the Zirkel Wilderness, a nice area. Many backpacking options in there. The higher peaks and lakes are a little further south but the Encampment Meadows, as Mouse mentioned, are close as are a few lakes with West Fork being a nice one. Don't know if you're into fishing but there's (or used to be) lots of brooks and some browns in the meadows. Bigger fish downstream in the Encampment Canyon.
Not much for civilization with Saratoga and Walden being the big towns. Hot springs in Saratoga are cool.
As Mouse also mentioned, beetle-kill destroyed most of the trees in the area. Be careful where you pitch your tent!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum