Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200145 - 01/30/18 09:53 PM Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
I found this article:

https://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/overburdened-infantry-soldier/

in another forum I was reading. Think the audience here would be most interested in the affects of load on cognition and mobility in early portions of the article.

#200305 - 03/02/18 10:20 PM Re: Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective [Re: Steadman]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
This is pretty interesting. Both from the history of observations of the studies and the tendency of the military to keep ignoring them and overloading their troops.

For me personally, I came here to learn how to lighten my load, and did. But I've always gauged my distance according to how I could tote it and never tried to push it too far. That takes the "fun" out of it for me.

The quality of a backpacking trip is not directly related to the number of miles hiked. At least not for me. What I really want to do is get someplace sweet, away from the masses, and chill out for a few days.

"You want to go where?"

#200306 - 03/03/18 12:05 AM Re: Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
My dad was a combat medic in the Pacific in WWII (147th infantry; at Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Saipan, and Okinawa - odd that an Army unit was the only US unit to fight in all 4 “Marine” operations.)

Anyhow, somewhere I have an old Army pamphlet published after Guadalcanal that took his unit’s experience on jungle fighting and passed it on to other newly arriving units. In it, there is a section on “what to carry” that sounds oddly like it was written by a backpacker. For eating and drinking, it told soldiers to forget about the mess kit and full set of utensils, and told them to take their canteen, canteen cup (which could also be used as a pot), and a spoon. It told them they wouldn’t need all the clothing the standard manuals said - but advised two or three changes of socks. There were some other tips, but I can’t remember them now, and can’t find the pamphlet (I think my son has it.)

Looking back to the Civil War, the infantry soldier soon learned he didn’t need the entire official kit the Army regulations called for - including the pack. Instead, they laid down the shelter half, laid a folded blanket on top of it, put a small pot or fry pan, fork and/or spoon, metal cup, change of clothing, socks, etc. along the edge of the blanket, then rolled everything up and slung the blanket roll across one shoulder; a cartridge box went across the other.

My guess is the ordinary infantryman has, for ages, looked at the manual and then done what makes common sense.

Edited by Glenn Roberts (03/03/18 07:24 AM)
Edit Reason: Eliminate “ultralight” reference

#200307 - 03/03/18 01:24 AM Re: Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective [Re: Glenn Roberts]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
there is a section on “what to carry” that sounds oddly like it was written by an ultralight packer.

To be fair, the heaviest part of the load a foot soldier carries into a combat zone always consists of weaponry, munitions, and similar tools of the trade. These are difficult-to-impossible to pare down, not to mention dangerous to leave behind. When you need an entrenching tool, you can't use your spoon as a multi-purpose substitute! So even when their kit has been pared to the sparsest minimum, an infantry soldier will never be allowed to pack an ultralight load. frown

#200311 - 03/03/18 07:23 AM Re: Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective [Re: aimless]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
You’re right, of course. I wasn’t trying to suggest that infantry become ultralight; I’ll go back and change that to “backpacker.”

#201063 - 06/03/18 01:20 PM Re: Value in lightening loads - a Defense Pespective [Re: Steadman]
troutstalker Offline

Loc: CO
Nice article. Thanks for sharing

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum