Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#200079 - 01/16/18 03:23 PM Is Colombia still making hiking shoes??
steve-in-kville Offline

Loc: Rural Pennsylvania
Know its been a few years since I bought a pair, but I went online to both Campmor and Cabelas... no Colombia models to be found. Did they leave this market or what? Maybe I'm searching under the wrong categories??

I have injuries to my legs and feet and Colombia always did well for me.

#200080 - 01/16/18 03:46 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: steve-in-kville]
steve-in-kville Offline

Zappos has a bunch of shoes... what gives with everyone else? Did their quality tank in the past few years?

#200081 - 01/17/18 04:25 AM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: steve-in-kville]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Their website still shows a fairly large number of trail running and hiking footwear (some of which is on sale right now.) Although at one time it was right up there with the old North Face and Patagonia, I’ve never really used clothing from Columbia; it always seemed heavier and perhaps overbuilt compared to the other brands. It was the same with shoes: Vasque was “the” shoe, and they fit me well, so I’ve never used any Columbia footwear and can’t really comment on where their quality

#200082 - 01/17/18 10:56 AM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: steve-in-kville]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
After Columbia Sportswear took over Montrail (especially their Hardrock model) and completely changed their shoes (first making major changes to the last and then discontinuing Montrail's models altogether), I refuse to have anything to do with their stuff.

Unfortunately, most shoe makers (not just Columbia) change their lasts every year or two even if they don't change the model name. That means that even if a model or brand fit a few years ago, it undoubtedly won't today. The only defense is, once you've found the shoe that is perfect for you, to buy several pair before the next model change. New Balance seems to be the only exception, but even they have reduced the number of models using their SL-2 last (narrow heel, wide and high toe box), which still fits me.

I think you may be searching the wrong places. Campmor carries generally discounted/discontinued items and Cabela's caters to the vehicle-bound hunter and fisherman. Of course even REI (supposed to be the source for hikers) has also considerably reduced the brands/models it carries. Your best bet is to find a good running shoe store that carries a wide selection of trail runners (what most of us use for hiking shoes), and try on everything. Or the online stores (like Zappo's and others) that provide free return shipping until you find the shoe that fits.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/17/18 10:59 AM)

#200088 - 01/18/18 05:28 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: OregonMouse]
steve-in-kville Offline

Thanks for the replies. I've bought from Zappo's in the past with success. I work with a man that done the AT and he tells me that a newer brand called Keen is the way to go. I'm hesitant to try something else, but if Columbia has prostituted themselves, I may have to.

#200089 - 01/18/18 10:18 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: steve-in-kville]
JustWalking Online   content

Loc: PNW
If you've got a Dicks Sporting Goods near where you are, they carry Keens, so you could try them on.

#200090 - 01/18/18 11:02 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: JustWalking]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Yeah. The proof of the trail shoe is in the wearing of it on your own feet. Other hikers can give you reasonable info about how durable a shoe might be (although some durability problems are designed in and others are quality control problems), but FIT is much more important than durability. The only test for fit is by putting the shoe on and walking around. A great shoe for someone else could be a bad fit for your foot, and a bad fit is torture.

#200091 - 01/19/18 12:58 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I agree--FIT is the #1 priority, not the brand or the model. Try on everything in sight. If it feels good, walk around the store for half an hour. Then walk around on your (hopefully clean) carpet at home for at least another hour, or more, while you can still return the shoe. If possible, try a slanted surface to see what happens to your foot when going up or down hills. Also, try wearing a pack during these trials.

Yes, it's a lengthy process, but the only way to get a properly-fitting shoe.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/19/18 01:00 PM)

#200092 - 01/19/18 05:11 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Ditto - in real estate, it’s Location, Location, Location. In hiking shoes, it’s Fit, Fit, Fit. After that, it’s Fit. (I have a buddy who happily backpacks in bright red trail shoes because they fit him like a really good glove.)

#200114 - 01/23/18 10:14 PM Re: Is Colombia still making hiking shoes?? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
Columbia is cheap Chinese crap. I would avoid if I were you.

Edited by aimless (01/23/18 11:37 PM)
Edit Reason: edited a 3.5 letter word

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum