Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#199404 - 10/30/17 01:28 AM Went to a gatewood cape and love
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I debated buying one because I was worried about being too tall for it. Then I checked out the measurements on it. It is the same length as my Deschutes plus. Took it out on a two night backpacking trip this weekend so i could seam seal it. IM 6'4. I fit fine in it. Neither my head or foot touched the walls. I was able to fit me, my dog and my pack in it comfortable. 12 oz and dont need any rain gear. It is pretty nice

Edited by toddfw2003 (10/30/17 03:40 PM)

#199408 - 10/30/17 10:31 AM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Wow. I'm impressed --- and surprised --- that at 6'4" you fit in a Gatewood cape (as a shelter I mean, not an issue as a poncho).

I'm somewhere between 5' 9" and 10" (probably shrinking down close to the former now), and find that with a thick air mattress I have to be careful not to get condensation on the end of my sleeping bag in my Gatewood cape.

But if it works for you, it works, so --- great!

#199409 - 10/30/17 02:27 PM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: BrianLe]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Some of us have to get up several times during the night, which makes this combination of shelter and rain gear most impracticable!

#199412 - 10/30/17 03:29 PM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: OregonMouse]
toddfw2003 Offline

I use a gatorade bottle. They make a think that looks like a funnel for women

#199413 - 10/30/17 03:33 PM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: BrianLe]
toddfw2003 Offline

not sure how high you have your set up or how tall your mattress is. I use an xtherm. I also staked out the side loops

Edited by toddfw2003 (10/30/17 03:39 PM)

#199426 - 11/06/17 01:51 PM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: toddfw2003]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
What are you using for your floor? And what are you doing for bug mitigation?

I've been using a Gatewood for about 10 years, now. I am 5'10" and the height is adequate for me. I am happily surprised that it's working for you. On my first few uses, I staked the back side down to the ground, which severely limited the headroom, but made for good wind protection. When I finally put the 3"-4" guy-lines on the back side and raised the height of the trekking pole, it felt a LOT roomier and the pitch was much more taut.

I ended up getting a lightweight bivy so I could have a ground sheet, a tiny bug-free space and wind resistance for the breezes that blow up under that gap at the bottom. This negates the weight savings, to some degree, but the loop above the face net is perfectly positioned under the inner snap. Still, I am considering grabbing the net inner to have a bathtub floor and a bigger bug-free space.

#199427 - 11/07/17 11:05 AM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: DustinV]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I have the net inner, and it's a pretty small space. If you lay still it works, if you sit up or move around much, you're running into mesh. You have to put pretty much all of your stuff outside of the net inner tent, so if you need to mess with your gear at all, you're opening up the mesh. It works, but it's not my favorite piece of kit.

The height/length and just generally overall space available inside the G.C. does vary based on how high and just generally 'how' you pitch it. With a second trekking pole and then maybe a local stick or overhead branch, it certainly does help to pull out the loops on the long ends.

I personally find my G.C. the right piece of gear to bring along (a) on extended day hikes in decent weahter where it seems prudent to bring along some sort of emergency shelter, (b) short (1 or 2 day) backpacking trips where the weather looks pretty good and it's not likely to be buggy.

For other trips I prefer a 'real' lightweight 3-season tent.

I have a friend, though, who used a Wild Oasis tent for long distance hiking and seemed happy enough with it. Wild Oasis is also made by SMC and is basically a G.C. that can't be used as a poncho, and has added a little skirt of bug mesh --- still a floorless tent, but the mesh skirt worked well enough for him (and of course left a lot more usable space inside than the G.C. with its dedicated inner net tent).

#199429 - 11/07/17 02:42 PM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: BrianLe]
DustinV Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Hmmm. I guess I'll stick with the bivy, for now. It seems to help keep the whole pad/quilt/pillow/clothes mess in one place and thwe wind resistance is good. Sitting up may not be worth always touching the netting..

Do you end up using the pocket? I never seem to find anything I want to put in there, since my pack is laying right under it.

Edited by DustinV (11/07/17 10:38 PM)

#199436 - 11/08/17 08:38 AM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: DustinV]
toddfw2003 Offline

I use my cape when temps are colder and bugs arent an,issue. If its warmer i use my deschute plus. Forthe wind problem the back side of the tarp faces the wind and is all the way on the ground. I made a bathtub floor with polycro similar to zpacks bathtub

#199437 - 11/08/17 08:41 AM Re: Went to a gatewood cape and love [Re: DustinV]
toddfw2003 Offline

Originally Posted By DustinV
What are you using for your floor? And what are you doing for bug mitigation?

I've been using a Gatewood for about 10 years, now. I am 5'10" and the height is adequate for me. I am happily surprised that it's working for you. On my first few uses, I staked the back side down to the ground, which severely limited the headroom, but made for good wind protection. When I finally put the 3"-4" guy-lines on the back side and raised the height of the trekking pole, it felt a LOT roomier and the pitch was much more taut.

I ended up getting a lightweight bivy so I could have a ground sheet, a tiny bug-free space and wind resistance for the breezes that blow up under that gap at the bottom. This negates the weight savings, to some degree, but the loop above the face net is perfectly positioned under the inner snap. Still, I am considering grabbing the net inner to have a bathtub floor and a bigger bug-free space.

If you stake the back down but raise the front to 50 inches it works well. I have plenty of head room. Be sure the backside is facing the wind.i also stake out the extra side loop with a couple of sticks. Gives me more room

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum