Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#194666 - 03/31/16 10:48 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: OregonMouse]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Like all canister stove users, I have a bunch of almost empty canisters, which I'll be taking on a car camping trip later in April.

On a one night trip last year I ended up taking three almost empty canister. I was not going far and did not need a lot of food so extra canister weight was not a big issue.

#194667 - 03/31/16 01:20 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: GrumpyGord]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Taking partly full or almost empty canisters is just standard operating procedure for those of us who use canister stoves. It is just how the system works. If you hate the idea of carrying 2 oz. of fuel in a canister designed to hold 8 oz., then those stoves aren't for you.

#194675 - 03/31/16 09:32 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: aimless]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
...then those stoves aren't for you.

That's the part I could never wrap my brain around. I don't own a canister stove for that very reason. At least with my camp gas and alchy stoves, I can start with a full tank, and buy only fuel, not cartridges.
Canisters stoves always reminded me of propane torches or gas grills. Not user serviceable. grin
I own Svea 123, 123R, Optimus Hunter, Optimus Nova (favorite), and a plethora of other gas stoves just for the heck-of-it. Optimus has never failed me. Nor has Esbit.

#194678 - 04/01/16 12:10 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: aimless]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I'll often just use a nearly empty canister up cooking at home.

#194679 - 04/01/16 12:22 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: JustWalking]
WVhiker Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By JustWalking
I'll often just use a nearly empty canister up cooking at home.

I do the same thing, and when its been a few weeks or months since your last trip, waking up and brewing a cup of coffee like you were in the backwoods really gets your day going. There is just something about that hiss from a stove that almost makes your coffee taste better in the morning.

#194747 - 04/04/16 06:10 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: WVhiker]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The only time I'd take a partial canister is (1) I'm going only overnight or (2) my fuel calculatiions (based on tests on my patio in cold weather, using water stored in refrigerator) show that I need one full canister plus a partial one.

I use up the partials when traveling--unless it's pouring rain, I use my backpacking stove to cook my meals, whether I'm moteling or car-camping. Good way to use them up and save on restaurant bills. I have a trip to visit my daughter in California coming up, and hope to camp my way down and back up the coast.

When using a canister stove indoors, it's probably a good idea to crack open a nearby window, as carbon monoxide is involved.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/04/16 06:12 PM)

#194762 - 04/05/16 08:40 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
WVhiker Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Thats good advise just be sure to watch the wind. When my wife and i were in our first year of college we lived in a house for a few months with no stove we used my whisper light for about two weeks but its not very good for simmering so we went out and bought a Coleman white gas stove identical to the ones they made in the 60's with two burners (still american made btw) and one day the flame went out and when i re-lit the stove i didn't notice all the raw fuel laying in the bottom. I was able to take the tank of and get it outside before it really flared up but the stove has some scars on it now blush . Just be very mindful when using any of these types of stoves indoors or even in areas that could be prone to a wildfire.

#198836 - 08/03/17 04:49 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
I'm still using my Powermax canister fueled Stoves -

Exponent Expedition twin burner - I have lifetime
supply of Powermax canisters and use it exclusively for Car Camping trips. 10,000 BTU per burner

Exponent eXtreme single burner - 14,000 BTU, 11-ozs

Exponent F1 UL - 16,000 BTU 2.5-ozs That's not a typo this thing cranks out the heat and beats all other canister stoves in sheer BTU power.

Giga Power - 10,000 BTU, 4.5-ounces with windscreen (Snow Peak) lives in home emergency cooler food kit.

Sold my original 1983 era Whisperlight stove with 3 large fuel bottles and new pump to a Boy Scout Leader in NYC for $50.00 ten years ago. And gave away a SuperFly stove both (MSR).

#198837 - 08/03/17 08:13 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: longhair29]
dzierzak Offline

Loc: WV
Originally Posted By longhair29
I'm still using my Powermax canister fueled Stoves -

Exponent eXtreme single burner - 14,000 BTU, 11-ozs

I still have several of the Xpert and Xtreme stoves. Not quite a life-time supply of canisters, but I have the Coleman adapters for each stove to use the standard canisters. They've held up on 6 Philmont treks and many Troop backpack trips. I like them.

I also have an MSR Whisperjet and a couple of alcohol stoves that get used on my own trips.

#198838 - 08/04/17 11:14 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
HPD Offline

Loc: Colorado High Plains
Currently using a basic version of the Jetboil which is about 4 years old. Did a test a found that I got 27-8oz boils out of a small canister. Tests were done at between 5 & 8,000 feet.
In order of appearance I've had: an Optimus 8R, Svea 123, MSR Whisperlite and an el cheapo canister job that I bought for a trip to the Grand Canyon.
Love the Jetboil!! It does about everything I need, easy to use and lightweight. Only drawback I've found is the empty canister thing.

#198840 - 08/04/17 03:22 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Since I last posted on this thread, I've switched to a BRS-3000T. It's an el-cheapo import, but it only weighs 25 grams and it works well.

#198844 - 08/04/17 05:48 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: HPD]
longhair29 Offline

Loc: Floridad
Coleman made it first, a safe metal puncturing device to vent out and properly dispose of their spent Powermax aluminum fuel canisters for recycling.

Recently Jetboil has their own version to puncture Steel canisters, REI sells them.

Key is attach canister to stove, open value all the way, light it (IF it will) and let it run down for a 5 minutes, BEFORE you puncture the canister.

I'd like to see all fuel canisters made of Aluminum instead of steel.

#198863 - 08/08/17 05:19 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Jeffrey Offline

Loc: New York, NY
I use Vargo Hexagon wood stove and it's pretty good.

#199004 - 08/31/17 07:03 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Petro1234 Offline

Loc: engeland
Trangia 100g/4oz, with 150g/6oz folding shield and a small skillet200g/8oz. As I'm not likely to be carrying more than 3 days of food due to the fact I like to go up hill, 3 days of meths is lighter than gas and more easily come by. And it cooks a great fried egg.

#199495 - 11/13/17 03:42 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Adventurejus Offline

Loc: NC
Jetboil carbon lite if I bring a stove. Never used the Ion but they look cool! I'd probably pack something to use as a wind barrier though. I like the everything in one convenience of jetboils.

#199496 - 11/13/17 03:46 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: Jeffrey]
Adventurejus Offline

Loc: NC
Originally Posted By Jeffrey

I've never seen these before, love the idea of not relying on fuel. How many twigs do you usually have to collect/burn to boil 1/2 cups of water? Do you use it in the winter, if so do you bring fire starters to burn or hope you find dry wood?

#199661 - 12/02/17 08:22 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
EMT Dave Offline

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By toddfw2003
right now I am using a Jetboil Zip. I am going to make an alcohol stove and see how it is. I saw this on youtube. Has anyone heard of these Ion Micro Titanium stove. It says its the smallest canister stove in the world weighing only 1.5 oz

The weight problem with canister stoves is not the stove itself, but those steel canisters that the fuel comes in. Heavy and they are still heavy when 3/4 empty.

#199669 - 12/03/17 12:02 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: EMT Dave]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
There are problems with canisters, such as the need to take two when you’re not sure how much is left in one, that can cause you to to carry unnecessary weight.

However, I’m not convinced that the empty weight is really a problem. I haven’t done actual weight measurements, but I’m thinking the two alternatives, alcohol and white gas, aren’t actually any lighter. The weight of a white gas fuel bottle, empty, is probably pretty close to the weight of a single empty canister. The weight of a plastic alcohol bottle is less than either, but add in the extra amount of acohol needed to produce the same amount of heat and you may be at the weight of the empty cylinder.

I also recognize the ecological concerns regarding disposal of empty canisters, but they can be recycled, which helps a bit.

#199672 - 12/03/17 01:53 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: EMT Dave]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I’ve been keeping track of the weight of fuel canisters for several years and for several brands including Snow Peak, Primus and MSR. The weights among manufacturers is remarkably close. For the “4 oz” containers, container weight is 3 oz. +/- 0.07 oz. The “8 oz.” size have a container weight of 5 oz. +/- 0.08 oz. My 500 ml. Primus white gas fuel bottle weighs a bit over 4 oz. So, for short trips there is a modest container weight savings with the small canister. Of course, the canister stove I use weighs 2.8 oz, light in comparison with any of the white gas stoves. And, the much reduced fiddle factor with canister stoves makes life a bit easier.

I like coffee and hot chocolate in the morning and herb tea with my dinner so I use more fuel than the average bear. I plan on about an ounce of propane per day. It would take at least 2-3 oz. of alcohol for the equivalent amount of heating. And, the hassle of firing up a white gas stove 2-4 times in the morning and again at night is a major PITA as well as using a lot of priming fuel.

I guess I’m happy to haul along a bit more fuel container, if necessary, in exchange for easier cooking, at least for 3-season use.

#199673 - 12/03/17 03:11 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: Pika]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Me, too. Thanks for completing my thought, Pika - I knew I was going somewhere with, but I never arrived! smile

#199675 - 12/03/17 04:49 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: Adventurejus]
EMT Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Adventurejus
Originally Posted By Jeffrey

I've never seen these before, love the idea of not relying on fuel. How many twigs do you usually have to collect/burn to boil 1/2 cups of water? Do you use it in the winter, if so do you bring fire starters to burn or hope you find dry wood?

I have played with wood stoves a lot during day hikes and while I like the idea, for most of us it is not wonderful. I saw an analysis that said the weight advantage does not equal out until you have cooked 40 or so meals. I cook a lot, but how many of us are out for 40 meals without resupply?
Also, note this point well, although playing with them is fun, they are slow to get off the starting pad. A quick cup of coffee before starting is not in the cards. You need to sit and play and you always need a fire starter which further crimps the weight advantage.
Canister stoves are the ultimate in convenience, but the lightness of the stove is over turned by the weight of the canister.
Liquid fuels stoves are efficient but you have to be out for awhile to get past the weight of the stove.
I am going to try alcohol in a Trangia clone.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/03/17 04:52 PM)

#199907 - 12/17/17 06:33 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
EMT Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
There are problems with canisters, such as the need to take two when you’re not sure how much is left in one, that can cause you to to carry unnecessary weight.

However, I’m not convinced that the empty weight is really a problem. I haven’t done actual weight measurements, but I’m thinking the two alternatives, alcohol and white gas, aren’t actually any lighter. The weight of a white gas fuel bottle, empty, is probably pretty close to the weight of a single empty canister. The weight of a plastic alcohol bottle is less than either, but add in the extra amount of acohol needed to produce the same amount of heat and you may be at the weight of the empty cylinder.

Well, I have some experience with canister stoves but a fair amount of it was with the old Bluet stove. My recent experience with the new tiny stoves is somewhat more limited. The weight of the canister is troubling to me. I think the answer if you are wedded to cansiter stoves, or at least the convenience of them, is to take the smallest new, unused canister that will get you through a trip. Of course I am not out as long as many of you. If the cost troubles you, I just figure despite my poverty that the cost of a canister is really not horrible since the cost of a weekend of backpacking is largely gas to the trailhead and my stove fuel.
I have used almost exclusively liquid fuel stove for many decades now, but the weight and fiddle factor isu not to be ignored. The fiddle factor can be reduced with experience, but there is still the weight of the stove. Admittedly, I have not tried any of the much lighter stoves that seem to be named after insects. That might skew things a little.
I am going to try a Trangia clone and see how it goes. The stove is light but it requires more fuel for a given amount of cooking Somewhere on this forum someone suggested two fluid ounces of alcohol for one full meal and a hot drink in the morning. But...here is a really big but...I always have a hot drink in the morning and often cook breakfast. (I am after all out there to enjoy myself.) I often cook a soup lunch and even when I do not, I want a hot drink for my break. (I mourn the passing of Cup-a-Soup.)
So the conventional wisdom may not work for me. I will try the Trangia clone on an overnight or two to see how much fuel I need. If it proves a killer on fuel, then I have to go back to liquid fuel or canister. I suspect that for up the four nights (the longest I will probably ever be out) it really may be a toss up between a MSR (or an MSR copy) liquid fuel or a canister stove with exactly the right size new canister.

Edited by EMT Dave (12/17/17 06:34 PM)

#199909 - 12/17/17 07:17 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianV Offline

Loc: Virginia, US
Ive been using the outsmart titanium stove, its about 25grams. Its about as light as you can get. I have had zero issues with it. The stove and a can of fuel fit inside a 650ml cup, so it makes a nice package.

Here is the stove I have : http://amzn.to/2Csw47e

#199923 - 12/19/17 09:34 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Todd,
I just read a favorable review on the Olicamp Ion Micro Titanium stove. If you like the safety and reliability and speed of a canister stove it looks like a real winner. The alcohol stove will work fine with a very good wind screen, but takes twice as long to boil a couple of cups of water. However, I am in the wilderness and relaxing time is relatively unimportant. I suspect the fuel consumption is roughly the same but that 5 or 6 ounce canister is dead weight you have to carry out. It is largely a personal choice and fun to experiment to see what you like.
Jim

http://www.outdoorgeartv.com/olicamp-ion-micro-titanium-stove-review

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 58 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum