Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184643 - 04/21/14 06:39 PM Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park
nashscan Offline

Loc: Middle TN
Since the weather is darn near perfect this time of year, I had a window to go backcountry camping for one night and I took it. This is my first trip with my new Cosmic Kelty 21 degree down bag, and it kept me nice and warm in the upper 40's. I should have brought bug spray, but didn't. The creepy crawlies are starting to emerge, and the sight of most of them makes me long for winter again. *shudder*.

I didn't sleep well this trip. I was very warm and fell asleep quickly but I woke up too early with hip pain and general uncomfortableness. I'm hoping my weight loss plans will help out with that, because when I was skinnier I don't remember ever complaining about discomfort while camping. I'm still a noob at this stuff, but for the first time I feel I have enough of the right gear and skills to tackle any basic backcountry trip.

Here's the permit!

At the park Inn waiting on the ranger to arrive with my permit

Here's my campsite with my little tent, fire ring, and a big ass log to sit on next to the fire.

I spent about an hour gathering and processing firewood. Fortunately, a lot of it was cedar. I love the way cedar smells and crackles.

This was my water source. A small spring that fed directly into the Duck River. You can't see it, but it's on a hill and took some maneuvering and a rock to the the Katadyn filter bulb to stay put.

A bridge

Some woods

Along some of the trails in the park there's some weird piles of junk that look like they are from the 80's. Who would haul all their crap through thick woods just to dump it? Seems like it would actually be easier to dispose of it properly.

This is the River Trail that follows along the Duck River in Marshall County, TN and leads to the backcountry campsites.

I used a Lincoln log method to build my fire this time, and in no time at all it was blazing!

A beautiful Tennessee sunset

Edited by nashscan (04/21/14 06:53 PM)

#184645 - 04/21/14 07:49 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: nashscan]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Sounds like you had fun!

#184647 - 04/21/14 08:21 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: nashscan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Nice!

I've been thinking about taking another short trip. The ticks are thick here already but I could spray my clothes with permethrin and maybe not get too bit up. You've inspired me to think about it a little harder wink

"You want to go where?"

#184649 - 04/21/14 09:57 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: billstephenson]
nashscan Offline

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Nice!

I've been thinking about taking another short trip. The ticks are thick here already but I could spray my clothes with permethrin and maybe not get too bit up. You've inspired me to think about it a little harder wink

Ha! Me inspire someone? As far as ticks go, I found one sneaky little bastard trying to latch onto my waist before I went to sleep but never saw another one. Got freaked out by spiders several times tho.

#184659 - 04/22/14 07:57 AM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: nashscan]
bluefish Offline

Cool trip. I'm always thinking about the next one. There's worse things.... Nice fires!

#184672 - 04/22/14 02:23 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: bluefish]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
What kind of pad are you using? I have found that as I get older I need more and more cushiony. It may be time for the next step up….

#184693 - 04/23/14 10:31 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: OregonMouse]
nashscan Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
What kind of pad are you using? I have found that as I get older I need more and more cushiony. It may be time for the next step up….

I've got a NeoAir Xlite. It's nice and warm but not my mattress at home.

#197588 - 02/04/17 12:25 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: nashscan]
Benjarjar Offline

New to the site. How can I view the photos? Thanks

#197589 - 02/04/17 02:19 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: Benjarjar]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
The original posting was from 2014. The photos were not stored on-site here, but were linked in from an outside server. It appears those photos have been removed from that server, so the links are now dead. Short answer: you can't see them now.

#197591 - 02/04/17 08:30 PM Re: Trip Report: Backpacking Henry Horton State Park [Re: aimless]
Benjarjar Offline

Ok. Thanks.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum