Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197525 - 01/26/17 04:45 PM avalibility of thin ti rod
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I'm doing a bit of day dreaming about a wind screen for my stove set-pocket rocket & 750ml Ti pot. In the past I've used a premade heavy aluminum foil wind screen....as of last outing it's worked fine. But, it surrounds both, the burner as well as the butane tank. So I normally prop up the screen so that fresh/cool makeup air is drawn into the area of the canister. It's worked OK...but this approch seems way too precarious to leave un attended. ( and then the top of the screen is needlessly way too high to do anything) So I'm thinking that in addition to cutting down the existing screen and elevate it using Ti. rod. The rod from most all supply places seem needlessly expensive and way too big in dia. It occurred to me that perhaps flux coated electric welding rods might be an reasonable approch, after I crush/clean the flux off. Has anyone bought them from their local welding supply house?..thinking I'll need three rods approx. .063 dia(1/16").. Finished length, about 8"

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (01/27/17 02:54 PM)

#197526 - 01/26/17 06:52 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
I don't think that Titanium welding rod is available flux coated and, even then, you would probably have to buy a half pound or more. 1/16" Grade 2 Titanium rod is available by the foot at McMaster-Carr Supply.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#titanium/=1632hnn

A two foot piece is $3.05, but you would probably have to pad the order out to keep from getting killed on shipping. Grade 2 Titanium is soft and can be bent. Grade 5 is harder, but isn't available in 1/16" dia. I've used 1/16" Stainless steel TIG welding rod to make little skewers and stakes before. It's heavier than Titanium, but easier to find. If you know of a welding shop somewhere, they might have some stainless TIG rod. I doubt that you will find many shops that weld Titanium unless you are in an area that has aerospace industries. I find McMaster to be a handy source for small quantities of difficult to find materials like Stainless Welded Wire Mesh:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-mesh/=1632m8t

I have used the 2 X 2 mesh to make a pot support for an alcohol stove. It can be cut with tin snips and rolled into a cylinder.

#197527 - 01/26/17 06:59 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I use a tent stake or two--multiple use. Of course it won't work if there's a big storm threatening to blow the tent down, but in that case, I probably won't be trying to cook anyway. More like battening down the hatches, crawling inside, and waiting until the storm is over.

My windscreen goes only 3/4 of the way around the stove, which is sufficient opening to keep the fuel canister from getting overheated, a big danger when using a windscreen with a canister stove (an exploding canister can ruin your day!). I do feel the canister frequently, just to be sure. This setup works well for me. Obviously, the opening is on the downwind side.

I presume you're not leaving the stove unattended while it's on!

#197529 - 01/27/17 02:52 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

I wasn't in tune with the differences between types 2 & 5. My intentions are that the rod is to be pushed into the soil about 1 to 3 inches. Along with some bending. I do have some gas welding fill rod in stainless and 4130 steel both are 1/16". I'll probably try using one of those, and make do. And revisit this project next year. Thanks all! P.s. " un attended " is one if those words that can mean a lot of things.....I do divert my attention from time to time...I'm pretty sure we all do this

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (01/28/17 02:00 PM)

#197531 - 01/27/17 08:18 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
wgiles Offline

Loc: Central Illinois near Springfi...
Even though McMaster lists the Grade 2 Titanium as soft, I don't know how soft it really is. I might get some just to see. I've made windscreens from aluminum flashing for alcohol stoves and used stainless skewers for pot supports. I'd like to see how the Titanium rod compares to stainless.

#197533 - 01/28/17 01:17 AM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
You might consider using aluminum welding rod. It weighs half as much as titanium and is plenty strong for your needs. All welding supply stores and likely Home Depot in the welding dept.

#199568 - 11/22/17 01:54 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I guess I don't understand your "heavy aluminum" design. Mine is narrow enough at the bottom so it doesn't slip down over the canister. I leave one side (downwind side) open so i can reach the control and plenty of air gets in so the tank doesn't over heat and there is plenty of make up O-2 for the flame. The foil fits around the pot loosely so the hot air escapes around the pot.

#199579 - 11/23/17 05:43 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: Jim M]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Probably a poor choice of words. the last few years I've been using a premade wind screen....it's not heavy- more thick to withstand the daily folding up and unfolding. About 6years ago i bought them online...it was a twofer deal. (after four years, the second shield is still unused). currently it sits on the ground and is long enough to shield the burner assembly and extend almost to the top of the pot. if I were to cut off about three or four inches from the bottom and use the 3rods to elevate the shield so that it shields from about the "turn" of the fuel canister up to the top of the pot. the ideal imho. this would shield the burner/pot as before but also allow more cooling air to flow over/around the fuel canister. currently I leave the overlap open to allow air for this. with that seam closed I think a fair amount of fuel could be saved. The weight of both setups are probably a wash. this year I didn't get around to making the change...but this sort of thing is perfect for winter indoor activities, and has been added to the list.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (11/23/17 06:12 PM)

#200993 - 05/16/18 05:46 AM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
Alf Offline

Loc: London, UK.
Originally Posted By the-gr8t-waldo
Probably a poor choice of words. the last few years I've been using a premade wind screen....it's not heavy- more thick to withstand the daily folding up and unfolding. About 6years ago i bought them online...it was a twofer deal. (after four years, the second shield is still unused). currently it sits on the ground and is long enough to shield the burner assembly and extend almost to the top of the pot. if I were to cut off about three or four inches from the bottom and use the 3rods to elevate the shield so that it shields from about the "turn" of the fuel canister up to the top of the pot. the ideal imho. this would shield the burner/pot as before but also allow more cooling air to flow over/around the fuel canister. currently I leave the overlap open to allow air for this. with that seam closed I think a fair amount of fuel could be saved. The weight of both setups are probably a wash. this year I didn't get around to making the change...but this sort of thing is perfect for winter indoor activities, and has been added to the list.

How heavy is your Aluminium windshield? You could always buy an Docooler ultralight Titanium windshield. It rolls up into a cylinder about 1/2"-3/4" diameter, comes with a nylon carry pouch and weighs 18 grams. You don't need to worry about ventilation because it already has vent holes along the top and bottom. To use it, you simply unroll it, and use the tiny built in magnetic clip to hold the two ends together, forming a cylinder about 6-7 inches in diameter, and your good to go. You can even customise the height if you wish simply by cutting it to size with a pair of scissors, but the standard height in fine for me. It also has a built in cutout section on the top to allow clearance for your pot handles, so you can still use them to pick up and/or lower your pot onto the stove without having to move the windshield. You can pick them up for about £11 (£14.80) on ebay UK, but I don't know how much they are on your side of the pond.

#202070 - 11/02/18 06:56 PM Re: avalibility of thin ti rod [Re: Alf]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Thanks ALF... My "heavy aluminum foil sheild" is pretty liteweight. The gauge of the foil is thick (this side we use both heavy and thick- the two being pretty much interchangeable) that ti pot shield looks like it'll be a lot easier to use on a daily basis. I'll probably try one one on this summer's pct section hike..thanks for the "heads up"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum