Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#195530 - 05/28/16 12:43 PM USGS Topo Map Quality Decline?
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
Just got a topo map, and am shocked at the poor quality of the thing, compared to what I'm used to seeing. Kinda...fuzzy almost, maybe fewer dots per inch or something??
I'll try to post pics to compare.
What gives?
Thanks as always!

Edited by rabbitearscarver (05/28/16 01:03 PM)

#195535 - 05/28/16 08:02 PM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
I like the national geographic ones

#195536 - 05/28/16 08:31 PM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
When you say "got" do you mean you bought a paper map or did you download a printable map? The quality of a digital map will depend on the DPI when scanned. If it is fuzzy, it probably was scanned at a low DPI.

I original printed USGS map costs nearly $10 and should be of very good quality.

#195538 - 05/29/16 10:18 AM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
rabbitearscarver Offline

Loc: Steamboat Springs, CO
Nancy, I ordered it from USGS. Do you see what I'm talking about on these? Really a different look, and quite inferior IMHO...

#195553 - 05/29/16 07:32 PM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The images you posted are too small to see. How do I make them larger?

A USGS map should be very crisp and clear. I would call them and see if you just got a bad copy.

They are now printed off a DEM, so the contours have a smoother look (mathematically smoothed) than the old maps from the 70's. But the actual print crispness is dependent on DPI when printed.

If you have an outdoor store or a commercial survey office nearby, (someone who has recent USGS maps) you could compare yours.

#195563 - 05/30/16 12:25 AM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: wandering_daisy]
bobito9 Offline

Can you still get standard 7.5 minute topos? Do you have to order them direct from USGS? I guess I still see them at some ranger stations, relevant to the specific area you're visiting (like say the Inyo Ranger Stations), but that's about it. I use to print up custom maps at REI, which were nice, but they were more like 15 minute, I think. I never tried printing my own with map making software, never had access to good enough printers and paper. What do other people do?

#195565 - 05/30/16 09:28 AM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: bobito9]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
I usually use MyTopo to create backpacking maps. They can be personalized with different sizes, scales and text. When I take the Scouts on high adventure trips, each has a personalized map to learn from and as a memento.

#195569 - 05/30/16 11:52 AM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: ndsol]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
We use acmemapper to create our own --to exactly the scale we want. We love them.

And then we take a large map like Nat Geo or Time Harrison so we can identify the peaks on the horizon...or take a new direction that we didn't initially plan.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195584 - 05/31/16 12:01 PM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: balzaccom]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
There are many sources for quality electronic maps, this thread is about print quality. I have some of the old printed USGS maps and I haven't seen anything that compares to the print quality. It sounds like current print quality of USGS maps also does not compare. That is too bad.

Does anyone have a good way to make high quality prints (comparable to old USGS maps)? Color laser printers don't do it. I suppose you could submit them to a photo lab and have them printed up that way. The quality would be good, but the paper would not be right. I think they would be too think and not handle folding well.

#195587 - 05/31/16 01:07 PM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: BZH]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I am spoiled. My company has a graphic design department that can print me maps that a beautiful...

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#195615 - 06/01/16 10:29 AM Re: USGS Topo Map Quality Decline? [Re: rabbitearscarver]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I took a quick look at the site and they have several different options to purchase maps.

We can't tell the quality of the map you got because the image is tiny, but in general the more area displayed on a page is going to reduce detail and printing an entire Quad map on a single standard page is just too much.

You can download those images for free there though and take the file to a "Quick Print" shop and have them just print the area you want on a larger piece of paper for about the same price, or just print them yourself if you have an inkjet printer.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 55 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum