Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#193134 - 01/12/16 07:54 PM what type of stove are you using?
toddfw2003 Offline

Loc: Texas
right now I am using a Jetboil Zip. I am going to make an alcohol stove and see how it is. I saw this on youtube. Has anyone heard of these Ion Micro Titanium stove. It says its the smallest canister stove in the world weighing only 1.5 oz

#193135 - 01/12/16 08:50 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I've been using the same MSR Pocket Rocket for more than a decade now. It is reliable, convenient, does what I want it to do, and is plenty light enough for me. I even have a safe way to use a windscreen with it (located entirely above the canister itself), which improves the fuel efficiency quite a bit.

#193136 - 01/12/16 09:01 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Snow Peak Gigapower Auto (piezo igniter) is my current choice. I like the Jetboil and MSR Windburner, but they're half a pound of overkill for my very simple menus. I also have used the Pocket Rocket and Micro Rocket, and they're both good; for some reason I can't quite identify, I just prefer the Snow Peak.

However, my all-time sentimental favorite is still my old Svea 123R. Far too inconvenient and heavy to be practical for the trips I do now, it sits, all clean and polished, on the bookshelf of a young man I taught to backpack in his teens, along with my hardback copies of every book Colin Fletcher wrote. Fitting, somehow, and the stove, books, and young man (who now lives three states away with a family of his own), warm my heart each time I think of them.

#193137 - 01/12/16 09:31 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
bluefish Offline

I've had 3 stoves, an Optimus 8r, an MSR Whisperlite, both of those burn white gas, still work and get used in the winter regularly. I even still use the 8r ice fishing and its 42 yrs. old.The Whisperlite saw near 20 years of service and went through a number of rebuilds and a pump replacement. The third and most used now is an MSR Micro-Rocket. It's done about 300 meals so far, so good. 2.6 oz. It's very stable and I've yet to lose a pot off it. I've even used it down to zero by keeping the canister in my bag, putting a square of Reflectix insulation under it and using foil as a windscreen and to divert some heat to the canister. Note!!!! Do not fully enclose the canister and stove and get the canister more than warm to the touch. Be very cautious how you construct a windscreen. I bring 2 stoves on a lot of our trips with a sled or 90 liter pack and snowshoes, they generally aren't more than 5-6 miles and we cook real food and totally enjoy ourselves.

#193138 - 01/12/16 11:21 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: bluefish]
toddfw2003 Offline

I think the zip is a little heavy. 12oz I believe. I havent backpacked in 20 years. I just decided to get back into and starting to spend some money on ultralight gear. I do a lot of day hikes and finding out I am really missing out. I was thinking I need to ditch the jetboil

#193139 - 01/12/16 11:29 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: aimless]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Originally Posted By aimless
I've been using the same MSR Pocket Rocket for more than a decade now. It is reliable, convenient, does what I want it to do, and is plenty light enough for me. I even have a safe way to use a windscreen with it (located entirely above the canister itself), which improves the fuel efficiency quite a bit.

Same with us. Pretty nice, dependable little stove. My wife is a highly trained chef, and while we don't do much gourmet cooking in the backcountry, she still likes this little stove.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#193141 - 01/13/16 02:52 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
JustWalking Offline

Loc: PNW
I use a Kovea Spider remote canister stove in the winter, and a Trail Designs Ti-Tri stove with esbit or an MSR Reactor 1L, depending on who I'm with and how long the trip is, the rest of the time. All work well for me.

#193143 - 01/13/16 09:13 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I have been using a Snow Peak Giga for the past seven years. Before that I used a Svea 123 which was a replacement for a Primus 71L that I bought in 1954. For short trips I now use a Pepsi can alcohol stove.

#193146 - 01/13/16 12:12 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
I have been using a Snowpeak Giga which is simple to use and so far dependable. Prior to that I used a Brasslite which I still like but it is more bother. I still have fond memories of my Svea 123 which still works but is heavy and fussy.

#193147 - 01/13/16 12:21 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've only taken my stove on a couple of overnights so far, but I actually use it car camping as well, and I like the convenience of it vs. wood or charcoal for that purpose. It's a homemade V-8 can stove. I used these instructions. On a calm day, it works very well on it's own, but it really needs a windscreen if it's blowing at all.

#193152 - 01/13/16 04:16 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Quote:
"It says its the smallest canister stove in the world weighing only 1.5 oz"

It's not just the size/weight of the stove itself, but IMO best compare the overall cooking 'system'. Pot, windscreen, fuel bottle/canister, fuel type and associated efficiency, and ancillary stuff like matches/lighter, perhaps a fuel measuring cup for alcohol stoves, maybe a cozy ... the works. More complicated yet is to factor in how much you'll use the stove --- typically in terms of how many cups of water you'll heat (maybe or maybe not 'boil').

It's not easy to compare different types of stoves in terms of weight in a truly apples-to-apples basis, especially when you consider not just iso-butane and alcohol stoves, but others like esbit (solid fuel), wood/twig-burning stoves, white gas ...

My favorite stove is typically no stove --- and thus no pot, windscreen, stove, fuel container (or fuel).

I own these stoves and use different choices for different applications:
(1) some sort of generic snow peak canister stove (pizo-electric lighter broke so I removed it to save weight)
(2) kovea spider for mild winter use
(3) various alcohol stoves, typically now a 12-10 stove that came with my Caldera UL Compact system.

The Caldera UL Compact is a caldera cone variant that isn't sold anymore, dunno why as I like mine --- pretty efficient, packs very small, everything fits in the 850 ml pot.
http://www.guthookhikes.com/2011/10/caldera-cone-ul-compact-alcohol-stove.html

#193166 - 01/14/16 10:35 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I use a Supercat or twigs and rocks for 1-4 night trips. I don't really cook though, just rehydrate food and make coffee, hot cocoa, oatmeal, etc.

"You want to go where?"

#193698 - 02/16/16 03:33 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: billstephenson]
rodwha Offline

Loc: Texas...for now
We bought the Soto Micro Regulator as it had great reviews and supposedly worked better at higher altitiudes/colder temps. At 2.6 oz we are quite pleased.

This thing gets 30 oz of 35-40* water boiling in just a few minutes without a lid on it. It claims 11,000 BTU output. It certainly was quicker than a Jetboil with less water.

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

#193731 - 02/18/16 06:52 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: rodwha]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Have to say that the Coleman Exponent F1 is a great little stove, weighs 2.7oz, boils a litre of water in 3 minutes and simmers quite well. Packs super small, fits in the small Evernew pot with the canister and the whole rig weighs in at just over 18oz.

#194016 - 03/03/16 03:04 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: wildthing]
AlanL Offline

Loc: North Carolina
For my crew dinner time is a big part of our backpacking. We dehydrate everything we can and package our own trail meals. Typically am cooking and making coffee for 3-5 adults so I usually take a my Jetboil Sumo Titanium - I think it weights 12oz as well as a large pot and an older Primus stove. If we are making a base camp and then day hiking then I also bring a coffee pot.

#194048 - 03/04/16 10:02 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: wildthing]
steve-in-kville Offline

Loc: Rural Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By wildthing
Have to say that the Coleman Exponent F1 is a great little stove, weighs 2.7oz, boils a litre of water in 3 minutes and simmers quite well. Packs super small, fits in the small Evernew pot with the canister and the whole rig weighs in at just over 18oz.

I have a Coleman Exponent multi-fuel stove. Its a bit heavier than some, but always got the job done. I actually just sent mine back to Coleman for a rebuild. Wasn't holding pressure anymore. Could have done it myself, but for as old as it was, it should get a once-over by someone who knows more about them than I.

#194049 - 03/05/16 08:31 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: steve-in-kville]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I use either a Trangia or a SVEA 123R depending on my mood.

#194050 - 03/06/16 09:20 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
Dryer Offline

Esbit, tiny cook fires where allowed. Around the car, or in snow, Optimus Nova, Svea 123.

#194066 - 03/07/16 08:17 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: 4evrplan]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
For summer vacations, I take a Trail Designs Caldera Cone and 12-10 stove or use a Starlyte stove with the CC. If fire conditions in CA are high, maybe the MSR Microrocket or as many know, maybe a classic MSR G or GK with yellow pump. Winter trips could be anything. A old Optimus 111 or if conditions warrant, a loud MSR GK or MF, I usually take two stoves in the winter to get some use out of my collection. I have some Primus 41 stoves and Radius 43's which work very well simmering with a roarer burner. Did someone mention stoves? smile
Duane

#194434 - 03/22/16 11:20 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
rspeach Offline

Over the many years I have used many different stove brands and type's. Right now for backpacking I use a Snow Peak GigaPower manual and for larger groups I use a MSR Windpro. I love them both and have used them for many years and many times with no troubles or problems.

#194444 - 03/22/16 04:33 PM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: rspeach]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I own a Primus Micron Ti canister stove (discontinued some years ago, but works fine). I also own an alcohol stove. Interestingly, every time I pack for a trip, I automatically grab the canister stove. It's a lot less fuss, boils the water a lot faster, and I don't have to worry about fire season restrictions.

#194460 - 03/23/16 10:21 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
BrRabbit Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Last trip(s) I used MSR DragonFly. Now, I am reevaluating my cooking kit (all of it - pot, mug, stove, etc) and my next trip will be with an Ecco stove (alcohol stove sold in Ebay, ask for Simmer Ring and Closing Cap - they are worth extra).
So far, I am carefully optimistic about the switch.

I used canister stoves before... They are comfortable to use, but I just don't like non-refuelable canisters, hate to throw leftovers out, hate inability to judge how much is left, etc.
I could use one on a dayhike though (I still have some leftover canisters from the times I played with it, so need to use them somewhere).

#194654 - 03/31/16 12:13 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: toddfw2003]
WVhiker Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I have lugged around my MSR whisper light most of the time and played around with esbit cubes, alcohol stoves and even just using a cheap fold flat wood burner.

But lately I really like my jetboil its an all in one deal. I picked up the french press screen for it and now I have great REAL COFFEE with a minimal weight gain.

I know that it is far from an ultralight stove but I consider it almost a luxury after fiddling with other ultralight options.

#194661 - 03/31/16 09:33 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: BrRabbit]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Your scale can tell you exactly how much fuel is left in the canister! The canister has the weight of the fuel only (net weight) as well as fuel plus canister (gross weight). The difference is the weight of the empty canister.

Used canisters can be recycled, carefully. First, put the empty canister on your stove, open up the valve (outdoors!) and let it sit for ~20 minutes. Then punch a hole in the canister and leave it outdoors for another hour.

Like all canister stove users, I have a bunch of almost empty canisters, which I'll be taking on a car camping trip later in April.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/31/16 09:38 AM)

#194665 - 03/31/16 10:21 AM Re: what type of stove are you using? [Re: OregonMouse]
BrRabbit Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted By OregonMouse

Like all canister stove users, I have a bunch of almost empty canisters, which I'll be taking on a car camping trip later in April.

This is my beef with them, not how to measure... I hate it when the glass is half-empty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum