Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192406 - 11/05/15 01:14 AM Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada?
horry_jing Offline

Hi guys,
We have 2 two weeks vacation in early May next year, we'd like to do a backpack hiking in USA/Canada.
We have about 10 days for hiking, and the distance under 200km.
We can camping, and it's better that have 2-3 times re-supply along the trail.
Could anyone recommend some trails for us?
Great thanks in advance!
Horry

#192407 - 11/05/15 10:49 AM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: horry_jing]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Others are more knowledgeable than me, but Appalachian Trail is the long trail with consistent resupply points.

Here is a list of trails:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-distance_trails_in_the_United_States

What are you looking for? What would you like to see?

#192408 - 11/05/15 12:48 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: horry_jing]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
In early May the high mountains of the western USA and Canada (the Rockies, Sierra Nevada & Cascades) will still have most of their winter snowpack. It is possible to hike on trails that stay in river valleys and on the lower slopes of these mountains, but these would not be long enough to occupy 10 days on the same trail.

I would recommend looking at sections of the Appalachian Trail.

#192415 - 11/05/15 06:18 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: aimless]
bluefish Offline

I'd agree with Aimless about the AT for a point to point hike. Another possibility would be the Gila wilderness in New Mexico which has many miles of trails, but you'd have to put some loops together. In early May I'd look at the AT south of Vermont, as northbound there'd likely be some residual snow, blackflies and mud. I live very close to the trail in Vt. and don't like to use it until around Memorial day. I would think the Shenandoah section might be very nice at that time, it's 101 miles long, and can be extended either direction if needed. Anywhere I've been in Canada has been relatively short or would be covered in snow then. Best of luck finding a wonderful place.

#192418 - 11/05/15 08:49 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: horry_jing]
horry_jing Offline

Thanks everyone's reply, that's very useful.
I'll check the AT trail, try to find a section for us.
Many thanks!

#192433 - 11/06/15 10:57 AM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: horry_jing]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
The downside about the AT is that overall it's not very scenic; it offers a lot, but IMO doesn't hold up well to all sorts of other types of trails in the U.S.

Early May certainly does limit you, however (including on some parts of the AT). The suggestion of New Mexico is a good one, and particularly the Gila River area --- fun stuff. You might look around Utah as well. Early May is a standard time for thru-hikers to be in Southern California on the PCT, FWIW. I liked the Gila River better, but the PCT offers a lot of infrastructure to go whatever amount of time and per-day mileage you want.

Where I live (Washington State), if we want to hike in early May we either think of going well east of the Cascade Mountains, or hiking the coast, typically the Olympic Coast. Coast hiking is somewhat unique, offering unique challenges, but is pretty darned cool too. My wife and I did a 5-day hiking trip from the Hoh River to Cape Alava on the Olympic Coast a few years back, in April as I recall, and it was an absolute hoot. One can also hike along the coast in Oregon; I've done a few days of that as well, but logistics might be more challenging (?). There's also the West Coast trail in the Vancouver B.C. area, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Trail

Again in my neck of the woods, more or less, some like to do a PCT loop starting and ending at the lowest point on the PCT --- Cascade Locks, at the Oregon/Washington border. The loop follows the PCT and another (more fun) trail called Eagle Creek, and all of this should be fine in early May, perhaps depending on the particular year (?). It really depends on what kind of hiking experience you're looking for.

Bottom line is that in early May I think you go for low elevation (including coastal hiking), or relatively southern states. Ironically, I think you're too LATE in the year for the Florida Trail, but there are a whole lot of somewhat early season options I think, on a state-by-state basis.

#192435 - 11/06/15 02:17 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: BrianLe]
bluefish Offline

I would also recommend The stretch of AT from the Roan Highlands up through Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands. It may be a bit early for the spectacular Rhododendron displays, but wildflowers would be out. I don't have anywhere near the experience that BrianLe has, but I do find sections of the AT like this one as scenic as places I've backpacked in the Sierra and Rockies, just different. I've lived and worked in the Sierra and the Southwest, but being a native easterner may cloud my view. I'd also mention the Lost Coast in Northern Ca. if the ocean appealed.

#192442 - 11/06/15 07:13 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: bluefish]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
I don't mean to put the AT down, sorry! The Grayson Highlands, Mt. Rogers are indeed nice. Smokies are too. The White Mountains are very cool, but I expect that early May wouldn't be the time for them. Much of the state of Maine was great, though I don't know what early May would be like there either.

I guess I was thinking in terms of a more random stretch of the AT, but of course for a 10-day trip one can focus.

#192446 - 11/06/15 09:53 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: BrianLe]
bluefish Offline

I understood, what you meant, Brian. New England is very sketchy in early May. I've bad a foot of snow dumped on me, been eaten alive by swarms of black flies and encountered horrible mud stretches. Best after Memorial Day. I rarely see NOBOS in my area until then. The Presidentials would still be fairly icy and you'd need at least some traction devices. The stretch from the northern end of the Shenandoah up to Mt. Greylock in Mass. has good points, but lots of just traipsing through the woods. For a 10 day venture, not so much fun.

#192486 - 11/10/15 11:19 PM Re: Could you recommend 10days trails in USA/Canada? [Re: horry_jing]
horry_jing Offline

Great thanks everyone.
I'll check the AT and PCT as well, try to find a section fit for us.
Thanks again!!!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 263 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum