Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190676 - 05/25/15 07:22 AM Huayhuash Circuit
PeterK Offline

Has anyone been to backpack Huayhuash Circuit?
I'm hoping to visit Huayhuash Circuit later on this year. I'm just worried about safety, as I would be going alone.

#190682 - 05/25/15 01:03 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Not I, but looking at the

trip profile all I can say is "wow." Not a lot of oxygen to be had along the route, which must be spectacular. Hope you get some decent info on deciding whether to tackle it solo.

#190684 - 05/25/15 01:34 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: Rick_D]
PeterK Offline

I will track it solo.
Last year, I went to Nepal to Everest Base Camp solo. It was an amazing experience. This year, I went to Torres del Pain and Fitz Roy.

Thank you for all the information. I like the elevation profile map.

Just wondering, did you go solo?

#190689 - 05/25/15 02:17 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
bobito9 Offline

I'm going there at the end of August. I'm doing it with a friend, as an 11 day mule-supported trip, hiring a local Peruvian outfitter. I was in the area nearby (the Cordillera Blanca) in 2006 and the Huayhuash (not the Blanca) was still considered dangerous. Some trekkers had been robbed and killed a couple years before, but things are considerably safer now. Still, I think it's better to go there with a guide for a couple reasons: 1) it's not an actual national park, but rather you go through a series of villages and their private grazing lands (hmmm...private glaciers and 20,000' peaks, too? Don't know:) and you have to pay their little fees and navigate dealing with them. I think that's easier and safer with a local guide 2) those doggone passes are high and remote, and the trip is long. I'd rather not be lugging a full backpack, myself 3) it's good to give some money to the local economy. The outfit I hired comes highly recommended.
In any event, I'm excited! But I do want to comment that there are excellent trips in the Cordillera Blanca as well, some of which are fine to do either with a guide or on your own carrying a backpack. You can get to the trailheads by public bus. There are many routes to choose from. I did a couple short ones back in 2006 alone no problem, or you can meet fellow travelers in the local town of Huaraz and organize one. One of our group members Balzaccom just got back from doing a trip there this spring and posted a report with some gorgeous photos and a trip write-up. The Blanca is fantastic. I'd say that it is more suitable for doing alone.
PS Aeromexico just dropped their ticket prices and I got RT from SF to Lima for $600, when it had been $800
PPS the outfitter I'm going with is Peruvian Andes Adventures

#190690 - 05/25/15 02:37 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
bobito9 Offline

I wrote my reply before I saw this posting. I see you have a lot of experience. I also have done the Everest and Torres del Paine trips. Paine I did solo, backpacking, but of course, as you know, there are lots of people on that route and the elevations are pretty low (though beautiful of course).This is much more remote and a much higher elevation.
Everest I did teahouse trekking, with a porter. Did you do it solo carrying your own backpacking gear? That would be a real grunt! The highest I ever carried my own was over a 16,000' pass in the Cordillera Blanca, but it was only a 3 day trip, not doing it day after day.
I'm happy to chat with you about this, and I also would like to get some up-to-date info on Torres del Paine, as I am planning to return there next winter and my other visit was 16 years ago, so my knowledge is not recent. However, in general, you'd probably be better off posting questions and researching on the Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum. This forum here mostly has a domestic US backpacking focus

#190709 - 05/26/15 10:13 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: bobito9]
PeterK Offline

Yes, I've been to Nepal, the Everest Trek alone. I had a 38LBs backpack, most of the weight was my DSLR and lens. Everest trek was an amazing experience. Weather was perfect daily. I will return to Nepal in the near feature, I would like to trek the Annapurna Circuit. Tea houses were amazing, I ate so well there.

In regards to Torres del Paine, I also went solo and my backpack started out at 57LBS, but I quickly realized that I need to start eating more to get the back to 40's lbs. I met great people along the way and I truly enjoyed camping.

Here are pictures from Torres del Paine

Everest Trek:

Edited by PeterK (05/26/15 10:31 PM)

#190720 - 05/27/15 12:33 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
bobito9 Offline

Nice pics! (I really need to get a good camera!) Yeah, I loved Everest area a lot and want to return to Nepal. This fall is probably a good year for it, despite the earthquake. Fewer people on the trails, and besides, they need the money. A friend of mine with a trekking business says many parts of the country were not affected too much. But I'm already committed to Peru. And I'm looking forward to a return to Torres at the end of Dec with my girlfriend. When I did it, I also really liked the people I met. Chileans are very nice people.
Like I said, Thorntree is a better place to get tips on foreign travel. This forum is great for domestic stuff and gear chat. I'm sure you could find someone who has done Huayhuash solo on Thorntree. Myself, I have always loved traveling solo, both foreign and domestic, but I think Huayhuash is better done with company
. But the Blanca is very good for solo travel in my experience. Happy trails, maybe I'll see you some day.

#190722 - 05/27/15 02:31 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
We need a "like" button. Phenomenal set of photos.

Cheers,

#190726 - 05/27/15 06:09 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Beautiful photos, Peter!

#190728 - 05/27/15 10:55 PM Re: Huayhuash Circuit [Re: PeterK]
PeterK Offline

Thanks everyone.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum