Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#190449 - 05/02/15 07:32 AM Joann fabrics and quilt supplies
sashurlow Offline

I want to make a summer bag/quilt but want to make it cheaply. Has one one made a summer bag entirely from fabrics from Joanne's? The insulation seems to be the biggest concern to me. The lightweight ripstop is not an issue. Weight is only of mild concern.
Thanks,
Scott

#190450 - 05/02/15 09:45 AM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
JoAnn seems to be targeted to home sewists and crafters, not the outdoor crowd. Once I found some Thinsulate, but that seems to be no longer stocked. If weight truly is not an issue, you probably could use their offerings to make a summer quilt, but may do as well buying a pre-made quilted blanket on sale. Depending on the temperature range you anticipate, if you still want to make a quilt, consider using "lame" (lah-may) fabric which is metallized as your inside face. It should reflect some heat. It may feel a bit scratchy, so you may also want to wear some sort of PJs using this fabric.

#190451 - 05/02/15 03:54 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: CamperMom]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
DIY, you get to make it just the way you want it. making camping equipment is fun. but if all you want is getting a piece of equipment cheaply, consider buying on the used market. I have heard of others who bought used down clothing/pillows from goodwill and harvested the down for projects(seems like a cheap way of getting down to me)

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (05/02/15 04:02 PM)

#190454 - 05/03/15 01:08 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
You are spot on with regard to buying used gear as a money-saving strategy. Our OP seemed to indicate a wish for a DIY experience. Planning to use harvested down from thrift shop items might work, but the down is likely to be of lesser quality, either beaten to near end-of-usefulness or mixed with a lot of feathers. Coupled with the effort to make a down item, it may not be worth it. Weight was not an issue, making synthetic fills good options.

#190455 - 05/03/15 02:25 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: CamperMom]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
you're totally right , harvested down will be of poorer quality! I only offered that as an money saving alternative.

#190460 - 05/03/15 07:31 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
sashurlow Offline

I researched it and it looks like it does not make any sense to drop in quality that much. I had read about the possibility about using Joanne's (or other domestic fabric stores) from a post on another forum somewhere. Nobody had actually done it but someone suggested it. Considering I will not approximately 1-1.5 inches of insulation, that is too many layers of crappy stuff to make sense.
Regarding using reclaimed down from thrift store... DON'T DO IT!!! I have personal experience with this one. Its much less down and more fluffy, very small feathers that will constantly come out of the bag and you will wake up covered in tiny feathers.

#190468 - 05/04/15 08:16 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm finding that JoAnne's is not the place for Civil War civilian wear, either. I have found underpinning fabrics there, but none of their many cotton prints are even remotely suitable for the 19th century, and their wool is both expensive and part synthetic. .

#190542 - 05/13/15 11:48 AM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I'm finding that JoAnne's is not the place for Civil War civilian wear, either. I have found underpinning fabrics there, but none of their many cotton prints are even remotely suitable for the 19th century, and their wool is both expensive and part synthetic. .

They have linen that might work...but yeah..

Online is really the best way to buy DIY material that is exactly what you want. With Joan's, you have to compromise. You can easily use their ripstop and batting for a quilt. But the ripstop is heavy, as well as the batting. Plus the ripstop isn't that much cheaper that really light ripstop online.

#199978 - 12/24/17 09:31 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
First, I have not found that Joanns has less expensive material- on the contrary, I can always find a better buy elsewhere.

Second, you put a lot of work in sewing an item, so using high quality material makes sense. The only exception is when I make a proto-type in order to experiment and come up with a pattern. I once cut up and used worn-out stuff sacks to test a backpack design.

Internet buying frustrates me because they charge an arm and leg for "shipping and handling" for outdoor material, which really ships cheaply because it is light weight. Often you will pay more for shipping than the material!

#200025 - 01/04/18 01:25 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
PaHiker Offline

Loc: Western Pa, USA
I looked at this route recently since I want to make a quilt as well. JAF is not a good source, the synthetic insulation is heavier, bulkier, and more expensive than Climashield. My skills at sewing do not allow for a down product, so I went with 3.6 oz/yd CS.

Searched may places, the least expensive I found was by sourcing everything from Ripstop by the Roll. Going cheap I could make it for $43.55 (less if you want to use end-of-roll, but they didn't have any colors I cared much for), I went for Taffeta as a lighter material, thought a good deal more expensive, topping out at $69.70 for everything.

#200276 - 02/28/18 03:39 AM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: sashurlow]
Bill Kennedy Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Ray Jardine still sells his quilt kit on his web site (rayjardine.com). The most basic one is $89, and that's a warm-weather only version. I guess the question is how low the temperature might go where and when you're using it.

The common synthetic insulations found at Fabric Depot, etc. are too heavy and not compressible enough to make a satisfactory bag or quilt.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of harvesting down from an old bag, jackets, etc. It won't be the lightest or the best, but could be adequate and cheap, especially if making a relatively thin, sewn-through quilt. If you're using baffled construction, there's so much work involved you might as well spend the money on good insulation if possible. You can, if you have some time on your hands, "grade" the down by hand, removing all the little pinfeathers. I've actually done this, and it was quite a chore, but it worked.

I made a down bag using "floor down" from Feathered Friends, which is the down they vacuum up after a day of making bags. It has to be washed, and it contained a few bits of assorted debris. If I were doing it again, I'd just spring for the good stuff and avoid the hassle, but the point is it worked.

#202025 - 10/24/18 10:16 PM Re: Joann fabrics and quilt supplies [Re: PaHiker]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I agree that the generic insulation I purchased at JAF is of poor quality. I purchased some at JAF for an emergency sleeping bag and it did not work well. I never used that bag, but my brother-in-law (a warm sleeper by the way) said he almost froze to death in it. I threw it away.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum