Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189648 - 03/13/15 04:51 AM looking for backpacker to interview
lily Offline

Loc: san francisco
Hello,I am MFA student of Academy of Art University in San Francisco. So far I live in San francisco. My major is Industrial Design. I really interesting about backpacking .Now I have thesis project that relate with backpacking.I am looking for an design opportunity to design something that can enhance backpacker ‘s travel experience. if anyone can help that would be great. If your are near by san francisco, we can grab a cup of coffee or food. If you are far away, Email or Phone or Skype still good. please fell free to contact me if you want to share some of your backpacking experiences. I assure you this information would be used strictly for educational purposes. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

Edited by moderator to remove poster's private information. Please use the "private mail" option on this forum.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/15 12:09 PM)

#189655 - 03/13/15 12:00 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: lily]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
From your post, it appears that you are thinking of "backpacking" in terms of budget travel. This site is for American-style backpacking, which is wllderness trekking. If this is the case, you'll get better results on a budget travel forum, of which there are several.

Most of us are not looking for "something that can enhance backpacker's travel experience" but for something that can replace heavier gear already in use with a similar item that is lighter in weight while not being expensive or fragile. Unfortunately these criteria are often mutually exclusive. There are a number of small manufacturers here in the US, mostly individuals working out of their homes, who are devoted to this goal in the area of backpacking (wilderness trekking) gear.

I have removed your email and phone number because these private items should never be revealed on the public internet. Instead, please set your profile on this site to receive private mail should someone chose to respond.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/15 12:51 PM)

#189675 - 03/14/15 04:29 AM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: OregonMouse]
lily Offline

Hello,
As your can see, I am brand new about backpacking(wilderness).But I do interesting about it. I am going to do my first trip at Mar 19 to Mar 21. Even I can not find someone come with me. I still want to try it. So I am definitely looking for backpacking(wilderness trekking).

Thank you for point out that most of backpacker are not looking for "something that can enhance backpacker's travel experience". That is why I try to interview backpacker who has experience. They can help me to understand what is backpacker's need.
About I my personal information show on the public, that is my bad.
Thank you again for point out my shortage.

#189676 - 03/14/15 06:25 AM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: OregonMouse]
lily Offline

I wonder do you know those small manufactures's name. If you can give me some informations about it that would be great. Thank you so much for your help.

#189683 - 03/14/15 06:04 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: lily]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Check the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column. Read prior posts on these forums.

Google "cottage industry backpacking gear" for a number of lists. Note that most of these lists are several years old, so won't include new startups (happening constantly) or those quitting business.

There are many books available for beginning backpackers; again, check the home page of this site.

I hate to say this, but if you're completely unfamiliar with backpacking, you may want to pick a thesis topic with which you are more familiar and which won't require several years of experience as well as considerable research to become familiar with the market. I don't want to discourage your interest, just suggest that you consider a more familiar market for your thesis topic.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/14/15 06:15 PM)

#189686 - 03/14/15 06:51 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: OregonMouse]
lily Offline

Thank you so much for your information!I will check it out.
thanks a lot!

#189688 - 03/14/15 07:08 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: OregonMouse]
lily Offline

You are right,I should pick one that I familiar. But backpacking let me feel exciting!I am willing to do the hard work. It is a big challenge,but it also a good opportunity for me to learn. So far I am very happy about my topic,and got a lot of nice people like you to help me out. I know i don' t have experiences,But I will try my best. Thank you again!

#189690 - 03/15/15 12:14 AM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: lily]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
might I suggest that you scrounge up a copy of Colin Fletcher's " the complete walker" ( I think the latest rendition is #4 ) I think for anyone looking into backpacking, this book lays a very good foundation on which to enjoy the activity. after reading it you'll have a pretty good understanding of the needs and equipment of backpacking as well as the thought process that all backpackers seem to acquire over time. to get the most out of an interview, the interviewer should have at least, some basic understanding about the subject- don't you think? I started out by reading a copy of his first edition- this is how many of us started out.

Edited by the-gr8t-waldo (03/16/15 12:26 PM)

#189693 - 03/15/15 01:45 AM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: the-gr8t-waldo]
lily Offline

Wonderful suggestion. Thank you. I will read it. I think my thesis project give me a chance to learn and experience backpacking(wilderness). I feel this is a wonderful process that I can talk to different people about their experiences and get more and more understand about this activity. Be honest,it is very difficulty for me to find people to interview early.But I believe it will be ok.

I agree that interviewer should have some basic understanding about the subject.
I must admit I am kind of rush, but as long as I made the choice and I am willing to do the work and accept the result.

Thank you so much for being so helpful.

#189700 - 03/16/15 06:42 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: lily]
carbeque Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA
Hi Xiaoli! It's Rodney from the Backpacking group on FB. ;-)

I did a lot of backpacking as a child, then about 10 trips when I was 20 or so, and am just getting back into it. I borrowed this book from a friend of mine, and it really resonated with what I already knew about backpacking, and added a lot I didn't know. I skimmed straight to the section on backpacking gear, but I think it'd be a great book for you to add to your reading list.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=o2jGtzVKVnoC

The group on this forum is the real deal. Hardcore, lightweight-to-ultra-lightweight backpackers. Not a ton of traffic on the forum, but when you ask a question, you get a quality answer.

Enjoy your hike this weekend! Also, be sure to check out the hikes listed at http://www.bahiker.com/ ... there are many hikes much closer to you than the one you're going on!

-Rodney

Edited by carbeque (03/16/15 06:43 PM)

#189702 - 03/16/15 09:17 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: carbeque]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We also have a lot of info and hiking stories and suggestions on our website...

And if you want to follow up with some questions, we're happy to help

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189737 - 03/19/15 02:29 AM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: carbeque]
lily Offline

Hello Rodney,

Thank you so much for reply.
I will check the book you recomend too.
I think this forum is very valuable for me.Thanks again for your help.
Wish I will gain more and more experiencs and knowledge soon.

#189864 - 03/26/15 08:04 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: carbeque]
the-gr8t-waldo Offline

Loc: Tacoma, Washington
I was looking forward to reading about your first trip.

#189879 - 03/27/15 08:25 PM Re: looking for backpacker to interview [Re: lily]
topshot Offline

Loc: Midwest
I'm still not sure exactly what it is you are after for your thesis so perhaps you could just ask some of the questions you want answered?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum