Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#189701 - 03/16/15 09:13 PM Intro and Suggestions for resources please.
judy Offline

Loc: So Calif
Hi all, I have been enjoying reading all the posts as well as information on side boxes on this site. My mind is swimming with all the great new info. I wasn't sure whether to post in the newbie section or the old folks forum as I am both;).
I have been horse camping (camping with my horse and trail riding) for the last 4 years, prior to that my idea of being close to nature was observing it through a picture window in a climate controlled cabin. Now however I find being in the outdoors, surrounded by beauty and wildlife is almost a religious experience. Tis where I find peace and joy. I started reading tons of books, journals and guides on peoples experience hiking the pct with/out their horses..I know it is difficult and requires much support at trail heads. I then went for a short hike in Nov while my granddaughter rode my horse and I was hooked..I enjoyed it almost as much as riding..Thus the idea of hiking part of the pct, specifically in the JMT area became a "bucket-list" wish. I set Aug or Sept 2016 as my goal date

I am fat, out of shape and huff and puff going up an ant hill, so I just started dieting,hiking on the weekend, trying to slowly increase speed, endurance and intensity (not sure which you increase first) and slowly working on the eliptical.

I am reading every forum, books, articles I can get my hands on and watching tons of youtube videos on gear. I am making gear lists and putting info on specific items as I decide on them.

I just ordered a couple of books on maps and compass reading (I could get lost in a parking lot so I really need this, I do have a trail gps for riding though)

However where I really need help this second is recommendations for some basic info...I watched a youtube of a families hike on the JMT and in the comments someone had told them they camped in wrong spots, on fragile meadows, shouldn't be somewhere when it was raining or lightening may strike, had illegals fires..etc...I know nothing about picking the right camp spot, ( i did read stay 200 feet from water, don't use soap near water etc) staying safe from lightening, if I am above or below a tree line?? sorry I know I sound like a dummy, I assure you I am of at least average intelligence but none of these topics have been part of my life experience.......Help!! Where do I find out about this stuff?

#189703 - 03/16/15 09:20 PM Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. [Re: judy]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We have suggestions on what makes a nice campsite on our website. But the best source would be Leave No Trade articles and sites. You can find many of them on the web.

having said that, don't take it all as if it were the ultimate religion. One of the reasons we all love backpacking is that there is still a certain amount of leeway in how we approach. Around here you are likely to see the initials HYOH...meaning Hike Your Own Hike. What works for others may not be perfect for you.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#189704 - 03/16/15 10:31 PM Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. [Re: balzaccom]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
"What works for others may not be perfect for you."

And vice versa.

#189705 - 03/16/15 11:08 PM Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. [Re: balzaccom]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
There are some basic books that many of us have read. The Complete Walker by the late Colin Fletcher is considered the Bible of backpacking. There are several different editions going back to the mid 60's or so. Also, Harvey Manning's book, Backpacking One Step At A Time, another old school book like Fletcher's. There is even Backpacking for Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide To Backpacking And Hiking. There are dozens of others. I have Fletcher's book and used to have Manning's. I've seen the other two in bookstores and online. Amazon has them all, plus many more. Newer books cover lightweight hiking topics like you find on this site. There are cooking books, navigation, trail guides, winter camping, you name it, someone has written a book on it. Not to forget the hundreds of websites that cover every aspect of camping and hiking. Don't forget, it's not just about gear. Anyone can walk into a store like REI and walk out with everything you need to get into backpacking. Consider taking a class with a club or group like the Sierra Club to learn basic skills. Don't be self-conscious either and as already said, hike your own hike. If you are getting into this for any reason other than your own pleasure, you're doing it wrong.

#189714 - 03/17/15 10:37 PM Re: Intro and Suggestions for resources please. [Re: judy]
judy Offline

Loc: So Calif
thanks, going to order a couple of those books!

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum