Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188860 - 02/01/15 09:12 PM Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking.
jokker78 Offline

Loc: Beaumont Tx
Hi all im new here and love camping.

Hi I am a newbie when it comes to backpacking, I have truck camped many many nights. Ive kayak camped . I have a kelty 2 man back packing tent, canister type stove. Most of the lightweight gear from kayak camping. My girlfriend and I would like to try backpacking.
As for as backpacks go. Do we both need big packs or say me get a 60 l and her maybe a 35, I figure we would each carry food and water and sleeping bag and sleeping pad.
We only have an academy and gander mountain for stores local to buy gear. Or walmart has some stuff.
Should I buy cheaper packs to see if we like it or just buy good ones first?

#188862 - 02/01/15 10:10 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: jokker78]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
As you'll notice, I've moved your post to the Backcountry Beginners section where there is quite a bit of information. The first (sticky) post in this section, by phat, has excellent information. You may want to read some of the other fairly recent posts, too.

Have you checked out the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column? There is lots of information there on gear selection including some excellent gear lists.

For packs, the most important issues are fit, fit and fit. The pack must fit your body, it must fit your gear, and it must be comfortable for you with your gear inside. That's why it's highly recommended to acquire the rest of your gear first and the pack last. The best thing is to box up the rest of your gear, including the equivalent in weight/bulk of a week's food and water and take it to the store when shopping for packs. If possible, make an appointment first. (This will also let you measure the total volume = length x width x height in inches. 1 liter is approximately 60 cubic inches.) If that doesn't work, at least have all the gear ready as soon as you get the pack home. Before you take the tags off, load it up with the stuff and carry it around the house for a couple of hours. Boring, but that will let you know if the pack is a keeper while it's still clean and returnable. With two of you and two packs, that might be the better solution.

If you're not sure you're going to like backpacking, then borrowing or renting gear or buying second-hand is a good way to start. It's more important that the packs fit comfortably, though, or you'll be miserable.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/01/15 10:21 PM)

#188863 - 02/01/15 10:20 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: OregonMouse]
jokker78 Offline

Im thinking about going to Houston to visit REI and get fitted for packs,
I have read a few of them and bought a book too.

#188864 - 02/01/15 10:46 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: jokker78]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I agree with OM about renting equipment, It's cheaper than buying expensive gear that you only use once, or buying lousy gear that breaks down after a trip or two.

But I've also found some pretty good deals at thrift shops. I think the most critical gear is your sleeping bag---you need to sleep well to enjoy what we do, and there's no substitute for a nice bag.

I've backpacked with a $5 external frame Kelty pack that I got at a thrift shop, and I've also packed with a $4 tube tent. In the right conditions, and for a short overnight trip, both of those are options. But the bag is critical.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#188865 - 02/01/15 11:09 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: balzaccom]
jokker78 Offline

I have kelty 20 degree cosmic bags, 2 of them.
There isnt any place to rent gear close to me.

#188866 - 02/02/15 06:33 AM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: jokker78]
Glenn Roberts Online   content

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Since there is no specialized store nearby, the trip to Houston sounds like a good idea. You might want to see if there are any local, specialized backpacking shops there, too; they may carry some items that REI won't have, and I'd almost guarantee that their staff will be more knowledgeable, especially about how to fit packs.

Having said that, REI isn't a bad option. They carry some higher-end gear, but they also carry some good stuff under their own house brand. I've never tried any of them on, but the REI packs look pretty good; several are very close copies of higher-end (and higher priced) packs.

For packs, good makes are Gregory, Osprey, and Deuter. I've had good luck with Deuter and Osprey, though the Osprey Atmos 50 is probably the best fit I've gotten. The Osprey Kestrel 48 is also good, as is the Deuter ACT Zero 50+15. (Both companies have women-specific versions of these packs.) I've never been able to really find a Gregory pack I like, but I've hiked with plenty of folks who have. Like others say, it's all about fit.

With two people, willing to pare their loads down to essential gear (which may take some breaking of car and kayak habits, where vehicles carried the stuff), then a 50 or 60 liter pack for you, and a corresponding pack for her (say, 40-50 liters) should be adequate.

If I were looking for two basic packs, I'd suggest starting with the Osprey Atmos 50 and Osprey Volt 60, and the women's equivalents to both. (I think they are the Aura 50 and Viva 50. The number indicates the pack size: 50 or 60 liters.) Both are highly adjustable, and pretty comfortable.

The key is to take your gear with you, and load the packs as though you were heading out on a trip. If you happen to get a sales persons who actually backpacks, they will be able to provide you with a lot of good information on how to pack, what to take, and what NOT to take. If you find such a person, do me one favor: buy the pack from that person, even if you could save $10 online or at REI. You'd tip for good service at a restaurant, so paying retail price shouldn't be seen as a sin, particularly if you've gotten great personalized service.

#188871 - 02/02/15 01:27 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
You might want to see if there are any local, specialized backpacking shops there, too; they may carry some items that REI won't have, and I'd almost guarantee that their staff will be more knowledgeable, especially about how to fit packs.

There's a couple Whole Earth Provisions Co.s in Houston. It's still a chain, but with a totally different feel than REI.

#188881 - 02/02/15 06:48 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: 4evrplan]
jokker78 Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
You might want to see if there are any local, specialized backpacking shops there, too; they may carry some items that REI won't have, and I'd almost guarantee that their staff will be more knowledgeable, especially about how to fit packs.

There's a couple Whole Earth Provisions Co.s in Houston. It's still a chain, but with a totally different feel than REI.

How are their prices ? How are the people ?
I see you live in Nac, lots of good places to go camping there.

#188886 - 02/02/15 09:30 PM Re: Wanting to get my feet wet and try backpacking. [Re: jokker78]
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I honestly don't know about their prices and service, as I haven't bought any camping gear there, just a small toy or two for the kids. They have an amazing toy selection, by the way, lots of old school toys, sciencey stuff I remember from the 80s. I don't think their selection was very extensive, but they definitely had some cool stuff. It's been a while since I've been there.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 202 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum