Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188414 - 01/07/15 05:04 PM Here's one way to file a hiking plan...
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A badly injured California hiker stranded on a remote trail was located by a quick-thinking dispatch trainee using Facebook after a 911 distress call got cut off, authorities said Wednesday.
Ryan Pritchard, 41, was hiking Sunday afternoon with his sons Jake, 11, and Devon, 18, in the rugged Putah Creek State Wildlife Area near Lake Barryessa, about 30 miles east of his Sacramento home, when he slipped on a loose rock and fell 150 feet down a cliff and landed in a tree.

Since Devon had already gone ahead to their car to return gear, little brother Jake went down the cliff, got his father’s cell phone and called 911, reaching the California Highway Patrol dispatcher. But the call was disconnected before he could give an accurate location and efforts to call again failed.

"Because it was in our jurisdiction, they relayed it to us,” said Deputy Daryl Snedeker, spokesman for the Solano County Sheriff’s Department. “Our dispatchers took the information and began to work together to try to determine where the subject was.”

The cell phone coordinates got them no closer than a cell tower in the city of Vacaville, some 30 miles from where the hikers were. Then a dispatch trainee, Breanna Martinez, got an idea.

“She’s a younger person, so the social media was the first thing that came to her mind,” said Snedeker. “She went to Google, as everyone does these days, and Googled the guy’s name.”

Google took Martinez to Ryan Pritchard’s LinkedIn page, which then led her to his Facebook page.

“I scrolled down and the very first post was a picture of his two sons and behind him was the lake — Lake Berryessa,” Martinez told CBS Sacramento. “And it just said, ‘Hiking the Blue Ridge Trail today.’”

That was all the information the dispatchers needed. A CHP rescue helicopter crew found the trail, plucked Ryan from the tree and got him to UC Davis Medical Center all before darkness, said Snedeker.

Ryan was being treated for several fractured bones, a head injury and a broken jaw, his family told CBS Sacramento.

“I am really impressed by this. I’m so proud of them, taking the initiative and solving the problem,” said the dispatchers’ boss, Solano County Sheriff Tom Ferrara. “And if you have to come up with a new way of doing it, that’s just outstanding.”

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#188417 - 01/07/15 06:45 PM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd rather leave a hiking plan with a trusted relative and carry my PLB (there's seldom any cell phone reception where I hike), but this was certainly an imaginative way to find the guy!

I am not a Facebook person and never will be, but I seem to be in a small minority.

#188446 - 01/09/15 12:47 PM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: OregonMouse]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Got to give the 911 team a thumbs up for their work on this. They did great. I hope he recovers, and I hope his kids do too. This is traumatic stuff for all of them.

This seems to be another in a long string of "Falling of a cliff" accidents we've heard of lately. We've had several here in the fairly recent past too. I don't know if I've just heard of more of them or they're increasing in number but there's been too many.

I know several of them were of the "Hey, look at me!" type of shenanigans that caused them. Others were of the "I'm an extreme adventurer" type. I'm not sure what happened here, but it does leave me wondering.

We all like the big views but how can you not be aware of the dangers and risks of getting into loose and slippery rocks and ground on those steep edges? I mean, I don't know for sure but, it's a stretcher for me to believe he was on a trail when this happened.

The thing that needles me is this guy had his kids with him, and when I took mine out I was constantly pointing out these kinds of risks and reeling them in away from them, and I've done this with adults too when I've led them to spots here. But I, and every kid I knew growing up, were told not to mess around places like that, and we were all reeled in fast and hard by the grownups around us when we ignored those warnings.

Did practically an entire generation forget these lessons?

They sure keep me wondering...

"You want to go where?"

#188450 - 01/09/15 03:45 PM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: billstephenson]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Did practically an entire generation forget these lessons?

When I googled it, I found this: "according to new numbers just released from the U.S. Census Bureau, 80.7 percent of the U.S. population lived in urban areas as of the 2010 Census". So, the answer is probably 'yes, this knowledge is being lost because it is not being used often enough to retain it'.

#188463 - 01/11/15 08:51 AM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: balzaccom]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
That's crazy and unbelievable quick thinking. Props to the 911 dispatcher.

#188464 - 01/11/15 09:57 AM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: ETSU Pride]
bluefish Offline

For regular denizens of social media, it makes eminent sense to file a trip plan on FB. I use it occasionally, but you'd definitely miss the regular users if they failed to post immediately on return, if not sooner. It was quick thinking and a job well done. Having carried several injured people out- one girl that broke her ankle on a trail in the Sierra, another that had fractured a leg, falling on an ice patch on the AT in Pennsylvania, I won't rush to judgement that the father was doing something foolish. Accidents happen in the outdoors, not always caused by foolish behavior. I've slipped on lots of loose rocks and scree. Some of the loose gravel over rock that's common on trails in the Grand Canyon could send you to your death quite quickly. My wife slipped on one and had the presence of mind to sit down and not try to windmill or run it out. I'm very glad to hear of a good ending for that family.

#188465 - 01/11/15 01:10 PM Re: Here's one way to file a hiking plan... [Re: bluefish]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By bluefish
I won't rush to judgement that the father was doing something foolish. Accidents happen in the outdoors, not always caused by foolish behavior.

Indeed, that's certainly true. I didn't judge though, I shared some observations based on my own experiences.

It's also certainly true that accidents happen often as a result of foolishness and ignorance. I think I've heard of about three of these "Falling off a cliff" accidents in the past month. One was a guy down in Mexico, that was only about a week or so ago.

Now, ignorance is what I was mostly referring to, and I mean it literally, as in a lack of knowledge or information. If you do not know about something, you do not worry about it.

Consider what aimless said: "this knowledge is being lost because it is not being used often enough to retain it". That's really the point.

The other side of this point is information has never been more accessible so ignorance as an excuse has never been so thin.

For grins I googled "people falling in the grand canyon". That led me too this page. Here's a quote:

Quote:
Q: What are common risk factors for death at the Canyon?

A: "Men, we have a problem," Ghiglieri said to an audience at NAU's Cline Library this winter, displaying a graphic with a skull and crossbones.

Being male, and young, is a tremendous risk factor, he and Myers found.

Of 55 who have accidentally fallen from the rim of the canyon, 39 were male. Eight of those guys were hopping from one rock to another or posing for pictures, including a 38-year-old father from Texas pretending to fall to scare his daughter, who then really did fall 400 feet to his death.

So is taking unknown shortcuts, which sometimes lead to cliffs.

Going solo is a risk factor in deaths from falls, climbing (anticipated or unplanned) and hiking.

Arrogance, impatience or ignorance also sometimes play a part.

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum