Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#188326 - 01/01/15 02:55 PM How's this gear list?
4evrplan Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
Man, I've been on this forum so long, and reading blogs and articles and posts from other forums so long, I don't feel like a beginner, but I still am. I thought it'd be a good idea to post my gear list and make sure I'm not making any critical mistakes. This is for my up-coming two night - two day trip in Arkansas.

1. Ancient frame pack my dad gave me.
2. Detailed map from ouachitamaps.com
3. Compass
4. Small headlamp & extra batteries
5. Food (1.5 lbs/day dehydrated), hanging bag, 50ft line, small carabineer
6. Long johns, long sleeve polyester shirt, wool socks, warm puffy coat, rain coat, rain pants, knit hat, gloves (and mittens depending on forecast), warm poly workout pants, a pair of bread bags for my feet, spare pair of bread bags, pair of super thin dress socks to cover bread bags, hiking shoes (trail runners - already tested for fit over thick stuff)
7. baseball cap (to keep rain out of eyes)
8. First Aid Kit (sandwich bag with a few of each: Band-Aids, AAA ointment, gauze, gorilla tape, alcohol wipes, Benadryl, and Tylenol)
9. Tool kit with needle, thread, tweezers, half pencil, paper, and gorilla tape
10. Multitool
11. Bic mini lighter, and another as a backup stashed in a separate bag or pocket
12. Fire straws (homemade tinder)
13. Sawyer Mini water filter and at least two 20oz water bottles (the disposable kind)
14. Bandana for prefiltering water and wiping down gear
15. Two gallon jugs of water, paper itinerary - these items stay in the car
16. Tiny dropper bottle of bleach in case of filter failure
17. Whistle
18. Shelter (tent with Coghlan's Y stakes - OEM stakes too weak) OR (hammock and plastic tarp, also with Y stakes, if the lows are 40F or above)
18. Bedding (CCF sleeping pad, two cheap sleeping bags doubled up for warmth [this setup tested down to 38F in my hammock, and it works])
19. Wallet essentials in a bag – DL, insurance card, credit card, $20 bill
20. Cat hole digging tool (or use tent stake - haven't tested yet)
21. Tiny microfiber towel
22. Hand sanitizer
23. Reynold’s turkey roasting bag for pack liner
24. Trash bag
25. Small toothbrush, biodegradable toothpaste, and biodegradable soap - repackaged into tiny bottles

I've already got all of these items except for the food, warm puffy coat, tiny bottles to repackage things into, and the $20 bill. I'll buy and prepare these last few things as soon as I get paid. I also bought Barkeater's NeoAir. I may use it instead of the foam pad if it gets here in time and seems like it'll be warm enough. I'm also thinking about making a Reflectix or car window shade underquilt for the hammock. Hopefully that would make it warm enough to take down to 20F if I'm wearing all my clothes, but if the forecast is that low, I'll definitely test first or put off the trip (yet again frown). I'd prefer to take the hammock because it's both lighter and more comfortable than the tent, if I can overcome the temperature issue.

Thoughts?

#188328 - 01/01/15 03:32 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
I didn't see a pot (or large mug, if all you're doing is boiling water for the food), spoon, and stove and fuel (unless you're planning to cook on a fire AND know how to start one with wet wood.)

#188329 - 01/01/15 03:43 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
4evrplan Offline

In the interest of making this as easy as possible, I'm going totally no-cook. The lighters and tinder are for emergencies only. It would be nice to have some hot tea in the evening and coffee in the morning, but I don't think I'll carry the cook set just for that. I could be convinced otherwise if you think it's worth it? I do have a cook set based around a super cat alcohol stove.

#188330 - 01/01/15 04:51 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
I personally do not find multi-tools to be worth their weight, but if you have a specific use in mind, then it would make sense to take one. If it is just to provide a vague sense of preparedness, I'd leave it home.

I'm assuming the pack, shelter and sleeping bag situation are limited by a shortage of available funds. Other than that, it seems like a very competent list in general. The refinements you'll eventually make to it will be guided more by your personal style than by fixing any glaring errors of judgment.

#188332 - 01/01/15 06:02 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Glenn Roberts Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
It's completely your call. If your comfortable without hot food this time of year, then definitely go for it. (The colder temps eliminate the issues of food spoilage due to heat, for sure.) I didn't think of the no-cook option, since it's not something I'd consider (personal preference, not objective reasons - I like a hot evening meal, and maybe tea with my morning granola. Lunch is cold, though.)

#188333 - 01/01/15 08:08 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Glenn Roberts]
Mr. Jowee Offline

What kind of long johns?

#188336 - 01/01/15 10:59 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: aimless]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By aimless
I personally do not find multi-tools to be worth their weight, but if you have a specific use in mind, then it would make sense to take one. If it is just to provide a vague sense of preparedness, I'd leave it home.

I vacillated a lot on what tool(s) to bring. I had decided to bring one good but light fixed blade knife, a Mora Companion, and one of those tiny key chain multitools. I wanted the multitool mostly for the pliers, to use as a pot lifter, and for the scissors to use for first aid and repair purposes. Of course that was before I'd decided to bring no-cook foods. The Mora with sheath was about four ounces, and the keychain tool was two. It lived in my first aid kit, but then I lost my original FAK, so my full size multitool takes the place of the other two tools but weighs two ounces more. However, I may bring the Mora and one of those tiny $1 knives that also has scissors. I hopefully won't need pliers for anything, and that combination should weight about five ounces total.

Originally Posted By aimless
I'm assuming the pack, shelter and sleeping bag situation are limited by a shortage of available funds. Other than that, it seems like a very competent list in general. The refinements you'll eventually make to it will be guided more by your personal style than by fixing any glaring errors of judgment.

Yes, you're correct, funds are tight in my case. That's part of why it's taking me so long to take my first overnight trip. I'm making the best compromises with gear that I feel will be safe. My setup will be heavy, but if it gets me out into the woods, that's a win. Thank you for your vote of confidence, aimless.

#188337 - 01/01/15 11:01 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Mr. Jowee]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By Mr. Jowee
What kind of long johns?

They're Hanes brand with a blend of 65% cotton and 35% polyester. I know that's not ideal, but it's what I've got, and they've served me pretty well on many cold weather walks and bike rides.

#188351 - 01/02/15 06:36 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
Originally Posted By Mr. Jowee
What kind of long johns?

They're Hanes brand with a blend of 65% cotton and 35% polyester. I know that's not ideal, but it's what I've got, and they've served me pretty well on many cold weather walks and bike rides.

Keep your eyes peeled in discount stores such as Big Lots. I found 100% poly long underwear for like $3. The brand is "Arctic Trail", so they've got to be good for backpacking, right? grin

#188418 - 01/07/15 08:54 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Sadmoto Offline

Sorta silly and I figure you have this covered but never listed it but I always bring a little bit of toilet paper with me in lunch baggie just in case. smile

#188426 - 01/08/15 10:55 AM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'd ditch that mostly cotton underwear. If it gets wet you'll be in big trouble, specficially hypothermia, because cotton absorbs a lot of moisture and is slow to dry. Just getting sweaty could cause a problem. There are lots of inexpensive sources of breathable synthetics. Look in the athletic departments of big box stores for starters. Thrift stores are another source. Just check those fabric tags to eliminate cotton.

I love to wear cotton at home, but I leave it there when heading out!

#188427 - 01/08/15 11:01 AM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Sadmoto]
4evrplan Offline

Originally Posted By Sadmoto
Sorta silly and I figure you have this covered but never listed it but I always bring a little bit of toilet paper with me in lunch baggie just in case. smile

I didn't list it because I'm opting to use the 'little bit of water' and a good dose of hand sanitizer method. Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but we we've all gotta take care of business.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/08/15 11:02 AM)

#188470 - 01/11/15 05:36 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: OregonMouse]
4evrplan Offline

I just bought new long john pants this morning, 86/14% poly and spandex, respectively. I also got a warm coat for next to nothing on clearance in the boys section at Walmart. That's one advantage of having a slight build. It's 100% poly. The shell is a super thin poly fabric that feels almos like nylon or silk. The liner is fleece, and I'm sure the insulation is that puffy stuff you can buy in bags. About the only thing left is to finish making my mylar under-hammock (emergency blankets) to block wind, add a few degrees and hold my sleeping pad a little better.

Almost there!

#188485 - 01/12/15 11:49 AM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Sadmoto Offline

Everyone has their own methods they like. I prefer to have a little toilet paper just because it weighs nothing it can be a decent tinder too especially if its cold and everythings wet but you need a fire.

You can also use the sanitizer to start a fire too if you ever had to. cool

I've always joked that X end of the world scenario would happen my #1 objective would be to steal an air craft carrier, years worth of toilet paper for thousands of people= a lifetime supply for me and the few with me. I'm not wiping mybutt with unknown leaves haha.

#188499 - 01/12/15 03:18 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Sadmoto]
AdventureMyk Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By Sadmoto

I've always joked that X end of the world scenario would happen my #1 objective would be to steal an air craft carrier, years worth of toilet paper for thousands of people= a lifetime supply for me and the few with me. I'm not wiping mybutt with unknown leaves haha.

Not to mention food, armory, power, toys... (okay, some of the military hardware would be like a playground for me). I like it! When do we snag one?

#188511 - 01/12/15 06:01 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Mr. Jowee Offline

Originally Posted By 4evrplan
I just bought new long john pants this morning, 86/14% poly and spandex, respectively.

Thinking back, I don't remember these being widely available where I live just a few years ago. It seems like all you could find in big box stores where the cotton style.

#188519 - 01/12/15 10:46 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
robojoel Offline

Only problem with the list is you're missing a small flask of glenfiddich. For the inevetible celebration or defeat. http://www.backpacking.net/forum/images/icons/default/crazy.gif

#188520 - 01/12/15 10:47 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: robojoel]
robojoel Offline

maybe I need to learn to use emoticons properly before I post..
goodjob

#188529 - 01/13/15 12:05 AM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: robojoel]
4evrplan Offline

Robojoel wins the thread! I actually don't drink much at all, but it made me laugh.

#188539 - 01/13/15 02:47 PM I'm Bringing a Camera [Re: 4evrplan]
4evrplan Offline

I've decided to bring my standalone camera. I'd lost the charger for it, so I didn't think I'd be able to bring it, but I figured out how to charge it with my RC hobby charger (I didn't even know it had a Lithium Ion setting). I'll have my phone, but it'll probably stay turned off in my pack the whole time. It's way heavier than the phone, but hopefully it'll be worth it for the better pictures. Not to mention, the battery life on the phone is atrocious.

ETA: By the way, the list of things I need to sleep with to keep them from getting too cold keeps growing. My phone and camera batteries, water bottle, filter.

Edited by 4evrplan (01/13/15 02:49 PM)

#188542 - 01/13/15 03:41 PM Re: I'm Bringing a Camera [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Offline

I know! You almost need a large bulb-shaped foot for the sleeping bag! And just think of all the clanking and clattering when you turn over.

Another reason I don't winter camp.
lol

#188869 - 02/02/15 07:12 AM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
Mama Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I would avoid any clothes with cotton content. Once they get wet (it doesn't have to rain, even sweat) they will make you cold and they dry insanely slow. I know wool is pretty pricey but these days you can find inexpensive synthetic clothes especially polyester at a lot of discount/low cost stores. Don't forget your camera to take pics to share on the forum and have a fun trip!

#188872 - 02/02/15 01:30 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: Mama]
4evrplan Offline

The trip's already done. I'm just trying to psych myself up to write a trip report.

ETA: I did end up replacing my last stitch of cotton before I went.

Edited by 4evrplan (02/02/15 01:30 PM)

#188880 - 02/02/15 06:23 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
OregonMouse Offline

Would love to see a trip report!

#190351 - 04/24/15 03:47 PM Re: How's this gear list? [Re: 4evrplan]
SurvivalDad Offline

Looks complete to me.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
MSR Recall
by balzaccom
02/24/24 11:13 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum