Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183606 - 03/06/14 08:50 PM Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking?
johnnyyukon Offline

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences on using these for backpacking, around 45lbs pack, 3 day trip?
Merrell Chameleon 4 Stretch. Has vibram sole

We'll be on a pretty tramped down trail in the Arkansas Ozarks. I just bought them and am wearing them around the house with a weighted (40lb) backpack. Comfortable so far, I got a half size bigger to make up for foot swelling.

There's no ankle support, but we're not doing anything hardcore, plus I do barefoot running (minimal shoes) so I feel my ankles are pretty strong.

Here's a link to the description:
Merrell Chameleon 4 Stretch

#183610 - 03/06/14 10:13 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Generally speaking, stout trail runners will be fine for the trip you're describing. "Elastic lock lacing system" sets off my caution alarm with these. I have a pair of trail shoes with elastic laces and lace locks, and they don't "tie" securely enough to prevent my feet from rolling inside the shoes. Definitely not BP-worthy. Are these the same? Don't know but test them for lateral flex before buying.

The good news is there are a gazillion options.

Cheers,

#183611 - 03/06/14 10:44 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: Rick_D]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I use Merrells and really like them. It looks like the stretchy laces can be replaced with regular shoe laces. I find that Merrells fit really well (for me) but do not last very long. We have an outlet store near me, so I justify replacing shoes every year because I can get them half price.

#183612 - 03/06/14 10:46 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
The one thing I'd be concerned about is the combination of those relatively minimal shoes with the weight of your pack. With that much weight, your feet need extra firm support (not necessarily boots but a really stout footbed).

This is a lightweight gear forum and we'd call a 45 lb. pack for 3 days a bit on the heavy side. Unless, of course, you're sherpa-ing for kids and (like my youngest son) packing a heavy wet suit for cold water surfing!

For ideas on lightening up, there are some excellent articles on the home page of this site, left hand column.. You might want to compare the gear lists to yours. Mine is modeled on the 27-lb., 7-day gear list shown there.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/06/14 10:57 PM)

#183615 - 03/07/14 03:56 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: wandering_daisy]
johnnyyukon Offline

Yes, they are the stretchy laces and I was thinking that exact same thing, just replacing them with the regular nylon.

And you're right, there are a gazillion options, a blessing and a curse, haha. I probably would have shopped around more but us fellas are going in less than 2 weeks and I wanted to have time to condition with sandbags in my backpack with these shoes on and these popped up on several best selling lists and it's the 4th model so I figured they'd be good enough (and from what I read, fits my foot type). I tried on about 4 different pairs, different brands, and these were definitely the most comfortable for my more narrow foot and it seemed like I could cinch them accordingly.

I think they'll be fine, but like someone said, they have been known to fall apart and apparently the newer models are worse (planned obsolescence, predetermined life of product. very shady business practice). But I will probably use these for strictly hiking and 2-3 day backpacking.

#183616 - 03/07/14 05:38 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Shoes are highly individual, so take what I say with a grain of salt. You may find you tend to slip going downhill with the relatively smooth tread on the sole. Lean forward a little going downhill so your center of gravity is over your foot and that will help. It will also help if you have trekking poles.

As someone else said, your pack weight is heavy, especially if you haven't added the weight of water. Lightweight backpacking is more about what you leave behind than what you take. See if there are some unnecessary things you can eliminate. Even a few pounds can make a big difference.

Enjoy your trip.

#183619 - 03/07/14 09:34 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: Gershon]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Gershon
Shoes are highly individual, so take what I say with a grain of salt. You may find you tend to slip going downhill with the relatively smooth tread on the sole.

I don't think you understand trail runners. Smooth tread - nope.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183620 - 03/07/14 09:54 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Lori,

I looked at the picture on the website referenced. Those particular trail runners seem to have a tread more like running shoes than hiking shoes. Maybe they look different in real life than they do in the picture.

#183621 - 03/07/14 09:59 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: Gershon]
lori Offline

Most trail running shoes have pretty much the same tread as most light hiking boots. Not going to find the mountaineering boot lugs, but after years of hiking in trail runners, I know that they are plenty grippy.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#183624 - 03/07/14 10:16 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: lori]
Gershon Offline

Thanks for the info Lori.

I tried to buy some trail running shoes 2 or 3 weeks ago, but my feet are too wide.

#183628 - 03/07/14 10:57 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: Gershon]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Those were my very first "real" trail runners. I really liked them. They helped me realize that ankle support is overrated. I have weak ankles and would roll them all the time in my waffle stompers. But when I used those Merrells, never did I roll my ankle...even off trail in loose rocks on a steep slope.
I really liked the soles, thin, but not too thin. When I acted as sherpa, I could feel the big rocks through the soles, but it never caused a problem. There is also plenty of grip, about the same as most any other backpacking shoe or boot. They are great at scrambling on granite as well.
The thing I did not like about them was that dang stretchy thing around the ankle. It made it difficult to put them on, or take them off.
They also didn't fit me perfectly. I have wide feet, so I got a pair that fit my forefoot, but then the heel was loose. However, this was never a problem. I think because they were so light. If they were a heavy boot, that type of fit would have given me bad heel blisters. But, they stuck to my heel because of how light they were.
So, with the bad fit and REALLY annoying stretchy ankle thingy, I haven't bought any more. I love Merrels, but they just don't fit frown . New Balance has so far been the only brand that fit me well, at least in my price range.
So, to make a long post short, if they fit you, they will be fine.

#183666 - 03/08/14 08:14 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: finallyME]
johnnyyukon Offline

Quote:
So, to make a long post short, if they fit you, they will be fine.

Ok great, good review (just fyi, they do make a wide version)

But that's encouraging. I plan on taking them out on a 4 mile trail with a weighted backpack today or tomorrow. I think that will give me a good idea of how they will perform.

The thing about new footwear for backpacking is that it's very difficult to predict how they will perform until you actually go on your full trip (or so it seems to me).

I probably wouldn't have even posted on this forum, but a few years ago I had a really nasty experience on a week long backpacking trip in the Wind River Range in Wyoming. A pair of Vasque boots that I'd worn for 2 years but never backpacked in. I naturally assumed they'd be ok, but after hoofing for the first hour with 55lbs I could already feel blisters starting to form, and big ones on my heel. Not exactly a good sign. Basically they were a size or half a size too small once my foot swelled up and there was nothing to do about it. And we were averaging about 8-9 miles a day. Needless to say, huge blisters on heels, toenails turned black and fell off later. One guy on the trail suggested cutting the leather heel section out, but I opted to take the pain instead, using sticks for makeshift trekking poles, doing anything I could to take the weight off. Ahhhh memories. At least the scenery was epic and part of that 55 lbs was a nice SLR camera and 2 lenses that grabbed some amazing shots (was totally worth the weight). But anyway, I'm pretty cautious (could probably say paranoid) about new footwear now. Plus all my gear is lighter, and I've learned to pack lighter.

This trip will only be 3 days and I made sure that these shoes were 1/2 size bigger, maybe pushing 1, but the heel wasn't slipping and the elasticity of the shoe and lacing system seems like it will cinch up as tight as I need.

But ya, in short, think they will be fine.

Edited by johnnyyukon (03/08/14 08:16 AM)

#183671 - 03/08/14 03:25 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
I think you'll be fine, and you've got a good grasp on what can go wrong. If you've not hiked the Ozarks before I'll offer that ten miles a day here with a 45 lb pack can be a wearing trip, but if you're in good shape you should do okay.

I generally keep my trips here to under ten miles because you have to go slower on these rocky and steep trails we have most place.

What's easy to forget is that trail miles are measures on the flat (as the crow flies so to speak). There are no flat trails here and all that up and down adds distance, and it's far and away the hard part of that distance, but it's not even measured in with it.

So take your time. Don't rush up or down those rocky trails just to make a milage goal. More than any other thing that's what I see that leads to injury here.

BTW, where in the Ozarks are you hiking?

"You want to go where?"

#183683 - 03/09/14 12:21 AM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: billstephenson]
johnnyyukon Offline

I'm not 100% sure yet. Somewhere in the upper buffalo area. We hiked the Old Buffalo Trail last time.

#183686 - 03/09/14 02:06 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
billstephenson Offline

Well that's all good. I've never done the trail but I've hiked a bit of it here and there in the Ponca Wilderness. Granny Henderson's cabin and Hemmed-in-Hollow are certainly worth a diversion if you haven't visited them. So is Rocky Bottom. That requires a river crossing though, so it depends on the water.

If you're going by Kyles landing then Indian Creek is worth a diversion too.

One of these days I'm going to bushwhack Fish Trap hollow. I stopped while on a float there once and peeked into it and have wanted to hike it ever since.

Have fun!!

"You want to go where?"

#183690 - 03/09/14 05:18 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: billstephenson]
johnnyyukon Offline

I haven't been to Fish Trap, but I've done everything else you mentioned (born and raised in Fayetteville). Indian creek is AMAZING. Can't believe it took me so long to discover. It's definitely not known to non-locals.

So many good trails are in Tim Ernst's books with GPS coordinates for all, including off trail bushwacking hikes. HIGHLY recommend really any of the books.

Even though it's a public camping site, Steel Creek has always remained a special area for me. So many hikes to do in the Buffalo Wilderness area. Lost Valley got flushed out a couple of years ago, I think it's still shut down.

FYI, I just did a little 1.5 mile hike with 40lbs through mud, hills, and rocky trail and ZERO problems. Definitely a good sign.

#183697 - 03/09/14 07:22 PM Re: Trail Running shoes for 3 day Backpacking? [Re: johnnyyukon]
billstephenson Offline

Well I ought to be asking you about cool spots! Fayetteville is a great place.

The Buffalo River area has so many great creeks that run into it. All of them are pretty amazing, especially this time of year. That's why I've never done much of the trail there. I just can't resist exploring those creeks.

I've got signed copies of a couple of Tim's books. They're all pretty dog eared now. My favorite has been his Waterfalls book, but they're all great. That book led me to the Leatherwood Wilderness and it's got some amazing spots to explore. I've hiked there a lot since.

I haven't hiked Indian Creek yet. My daughter hiked it a year or two ago and it's been on my list for years. I've been to Kyles Landing more times than I can count, but always either putting in or taking out a canoe. Every single time I've just been torn up because I haven't had the time to hike it.

Maybe I'll get there this year. laugh

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum