Backcountry Gear Clearance

Stay Healthy--Eat Well

MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182381 - 01/30/14 05:16 PM What diameter poles for A-frames?
4evrplan Online   content

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX, USA
I've almost finished building my A-frame tarp/tent. I decided not to use the cane walking sticks I made for the poles. I'm testing it out with four sections from my car camping tent, but eventually I'll order some Easton poles and put the car camping tent poles back together. What diameter is typically used for this sort of thing?

Edited by 4evrplan (01/30/14 05:17 PM)

#182385 - 01/30/14 06:57 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: 4evrplan]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
You could get these polls http://www.rutalocura.com/Tent_Poles.html I'm sure the .450 diameter is plenty. The Rutalocura stuff is very nice.

#182386 - 01/30/14 08:01 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: rockchucker22]

YIKES! $50 for four sections! I was thinking more like Easton's cheapest aluminum.

#182389 - 01/30/14 11:20 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Originally Posted By 4evrplan
YIKES! $50 for four sections! I was thinking more like Easton's cheapest aluminum.

Yeah, but they can do Mach II and withstand the G forces of barrel rolls and stuff grin

I'd really like to see a photo of your tent. It sounds like it's going to be pretty nice.

"You want to go where?"

#182394 - 01/31/14 09:28 AM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: billstephenson]

I decided not to mess with taping up a catenary curve, so it's not as nice as it otherwise might have been. And, it's still a work in progress, but here's a sneak peak.

It still needs mosquito netting and a floor, and the poles and stakes are all borrowed from my other tent. I'm going to bring down the height a bit. It's tall, as in I can sit under the droopiest part and have about a foot of clearance. I'm hoping the triangular protrusions at the ends will keep everything dry in the rain, but if not, I'll have to change the design to cover up the ends.

#182467 - 02/03/14 07:03 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: 4evrplan]

I've had it set up for four windy days in the backyard, and my cheap fiberglass poles seem to be plenty strong for the job, so I think the .340 in. poles will be sufficient.

However, there's a couple other issues that I want to run past you guys. I've got very short tape loops at the edge of the tarp that a second loop goes through, and then the stakes go through that (see the picture below). I was going to use some elastic for the secondary loops, but the elastic I had was very stiff, and I couldn't get it tied off, so I used string instead. I think it's drop line for fishing. the stakes held just fine in the wind, and the tarp didn't seem to stretch or tear, but the string loops unraveled.

I've also used the same drop line for my guy lines, and I guess they stretched, because my ridge line was no longer taut.

How would you deal with these issues - guy lines stretching and stake loops unraveling?

#182607 - 02/08/14 08:19 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

That looks great! Have you measured the weight of it yet? It must be very light.

I sewed 3/4" nylon webbing loops on the SOL tent I made.

On a visqueen tarp I made I used two layers of the "bonded Outdoor Restore" sticky vinyl patch on the corners and put a small metal grommet in it, and put a cord loop through that.

Both of those have worked very good. My wife has confiscated my phone after losing hers, but when I get it back I'll take a couple photos and post them.

"You want to go where?"

#182612 - 02/08/14 08:59 PM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: billstephenson]

Thanks Bill! I think it's between 1.75 and 2.25 pounds. Since I posted this, I just about figured everything out, either by googling or by trial and error. There's more information about it in my gear log thread.

Nylon webbing sounds like a great option. If the cord loops don't hold, I'll probably go that route. If I had thought of it before I attached the tape, I might have put hard plastic loops there. I've got an empty chapstick container begging to be cut into cross sections for that purpose.

I look forward to seeing what you've made. I've got the bug make more tarps/tents. I want to try that polyolefin (window film) at some point, but I may just mock up something with a couple of the 10x10 super thing plastic drop cloths I just bought next.

#182697 - 02/10/14 08:33 AM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: 4evrplan]
billstephenson Offline

My wife still has my phone and she's taking off with a friend all day so I'm still without a camera but you can see some photos of my tent here:

Hot Box Tent

I made an old fashion "Baker's Tent" / "Super Shelter" that warms up inside when you have a campfire in front of it.

"You want to go where?"

#182701 - 02/10/14 11:07 AM Re: What diameter poles for A-frames? [Re: billstephenson]

Very nicely done. I bet it gets really warm with a fire going too. How many SOL blankets did you use?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Butane Stove
by Jim M
Yesterday at 08:05 PM
Knife, Fire Starter, Ignition Source
by Jim M
12/11/17 07:34 PM
Bivvy bag with wired peak
by Petro1234
12/10/17 01:06 PM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Greetings - and a question
by valongi
12/11/17 11:35 AM
Just found out about UCO candles
by toddfw2003
11/30/17 08:41 AM
Hitting the eagle rock loop, Ark in 3 days
by toddfw2003
11/19/17 11:31 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Plant based insulation...
by billstephenson
11/18/17 02:58 PM
lightest grommets to use
by toddfw2003
10/22/17 06:13 PM
avalibility of thin ti rod
by the-gr8t-waldo
01/26/17 04:45 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
valongi, Atkinson J, Dcarpenter, Woodland, ultralight
12469 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com