Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179670 - 09/12/13 11:52 AM GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
Okay, my background. I've been camping in trailers, I can start a fire from flint, and love the outdoors and hiking. So at 34 I'm going on my first backpacking trip this October, it seems to be a natural progression.

I'm looking at not just a starter backpack, but a pack that will last me a few years and I'll be able to do several nights with, but in a budget. smirk

So, I've been looking around, and I know 50/55L is on the larger side, but I think I'll be okay with that.

I'm comparing these two:
GoLite Jam 50L Pack

and
High Sierra Classic Series Explorer 55 Internal Frame Pack

The GoLite, is about 1/3 the weight, a little smaller, but $20 more.

The GoLite seems like a solid investment, but I'm leaning toward the High Sierra for price.

I'm looking for any thoughts or experiences on use, wear-ability, pockets, etc. I'm a shorter, yet husky guy. What do you folks think?

#179671 - 09/12/13 12:59 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: MKenyon2]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Forget the price difference, $20 is insignificant. The Golite Jam has a 30 pound weight capacity. I have a Golite Quest (much beefier suspension system) and I think they over-rate the weight limit. If you plan to carry more than 30 pounds then the Jam is not suitable. I would guess that the Jam would get a bit uncomfortable above 25 pounds. I could not find the specifications for weight that is comfortably carried on the other pack. But it does look like it would have a higher weight capacity. I would buy both, pack them with your intended gear, and see which works the best, walk around the house for several hours with the packs on, and then return the one you do not want. It may cost a little to ship/return the second, but I think it is worth the effort. If both are locally accessible from stores, there would not be shipping return costs. Fit is a very important factor in any pack. The advantage of buying from a store (not mail-order) is that the staff will fit the pack to your back (they have experience at this).

#179688 - 09/13/13 04:27 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: MKenyon2]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am not a High Sierra fan. It is not that they make bad products, but I can usually find a cheaper, lighter and more proven brand. Kelty is the first that comes to mind.

#179690 - 09/13/13 08:45 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: MKenyon2]
lori Offline

Forget the brand. Forget the dollars. Find the pack that 1) fits and 2) carries your gear comfortably without throwing you off balance, killing your back or hips, or requiring you to hang junk on the outside of it.

And it needs to FIT. That requires measuring and proper sizing.

If the gear you are starting with weighs collectively in the neighborhood of 30-40 lbs before you add water and food, get something with a frame, internal or external. GoLite has a "barely there" frame and to comfortably pack a large amount of gear in one takes skill in packing and balancing the load.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#179691 - 09/13/13 10:36 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: MKenyon2]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Kind of like comparing apples to chainsaws. As noted the Jam is a fine pack for low, fast-packing loads and must be packed and fitted perfectly. The HS model is an attempt at a do-everything-for-everyone pack that probably does nothing particularly well.

As always with pack selection, determine your total gear and supply load first so you know the weight and volume, and only then start pack shopping. Otherwise you're guaranteed to be buying at least two packs in the process.

Cheers,

#179759 - 09/18/13 02:32 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: Rick_D]
PEARL DRUMS Offline

Loc: Central Michigan
I have a High Sierra 35 and adore it. It fits my frame nicely and has several handy outside pockets here and there that I didn't see on some other brands. I find it to pack more than it seems it should. The zippers and stitching seem to be of good quality and the pack carry's like a dream on my frame.

#180015 - 10/02/13 01:09 PM Re: GoLite Jam 50 verses High Sierra 55, your thoughts [Re: MKenyon2]
MKenyon2 Offline

Loc: Cleona, PA, USA
I ended up getting the Mountainsmith Haze 50 . I think I like it. Going to go out this weekend with it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum