Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#177836 - 06/17/13 03:18 AM montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke
Gregp Offline

Loc: tacoma
i thought it was interesting that the alpine light down parka from montbell did not received as much attention as the frost smoke down parka. the alpine light has more down and only cost like $10 more. maybe im bias because i own a alpine light down parka. has any body owned a frost smoke?

#177839 - 06/17/13 06:17 AM Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke [Re: Gregp]
Robotmoose Offline

What truly matters is how it works for you. General consensus is a fantastic tool if you're curious about a certain item or method, but eventually you simply must use something because it's what works best for you, regardless of the mass opinion.

My favorite example is the world of "ultralight" backpacks. I bought one because I had this noble agenda about changing tracks from expedition weight to light/ultralight weight gear.
It was supposed to be the greatest pack of its type by that given manufacturer, and it doesn't fit me at all, no matter how I loaded it or adjusted the straps.
It so happens that the majority of light and ultralight internal frame packs simply aren't built for people of my body structure. They're generally too narrow, too short and accommodate deep torsos poorly: they're just not intended for people who are built like bears. In the end, I've kept my trusty expedition weight pack because it works for me, even if it flies in the face of the general consensus on weight.

That, above all else, is what makes this hobby great and truly American. We have the right to make our own choices about what we carry into the wilderness, we can therefore tailor our own experiences to suit our needs regardless of what the next man carries. If the Alpine Light Parka is the coat you've got in your pack; then by all means I hope it does what you want it to do, where and when you need it to, and I look forward to your opinions on its performance.

#177851 - 06/17/13 12:46 PM Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke [Re: Gregp]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I own several pieces of Montbell clothing, including an ultralight down sweater (sorry, the name of the style eludes me), and all of it is of high quality. The nylon shell on the down sweater is amazingly thin and you need to be aware of anything sharp or jagged to avoid punctures, but it is also high thread count and downproof so it doesn't leak down. I'm happy with it. I can't speak to the frost smoke.

#177858 - 06/17/13 07:27 PM Re: montbell parkas, alpine light Vs frost smoke [Re: aimless]
Gregp Offline

Loc: tacoma
the parka is very well made i have had a few (mostly from the north face) and the craftsmanship is the best so far.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum