Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#170798 - 10/22/12 11:44 AM Solo Tent
T-Rex Offline

Hi!

Thank you for letting me join this forum. I'm Simon from The Netherlands. I don't hike a lot, but I'm planning to go hiking again. No specific destination in mind, yet. But I already know I want to change one gear item.

I've hiked using a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer tent before, it was what I could afford. Not super lightweight, but in terms of weight, acceptable for me. However, I couldn't sit upright in the tent, which sort of annoyed me at times, especially when it rained days on end :p

So I'm looking for a tent or camp setup with the following requirements:

- Solo
- Being able to sit upright
- Weigh less than 1.5kg total (that's 3 US pounds or so), but preferably under 1 kg.
- Bug free, snake free, other creepy crawlies free
- Quite versatile (withstand long rains and some different climates, but doesn't need to go to the north pole either)
- Can be shipped to Europe (which can be a problem sometimes, sadly)
- Not being a hammock

I do have a Golite poncho tarp, which I could use somehow in the setup, but I don't think going full tarping is the best plan for me. For one thing I don't see how one could easily set it up to be both windproof and high enough to sit under. Perhaps I could make it adjustable or so. Anybody any tips?

But perhaps buying a tent is better. So far I was looking at the Golite Shangri-LA-1 but I can't find a reseller in Europe. And I was looking at the Six Moon Design Skyscapers, but surely there is a lot more out there. Also I have MLD solomid in mind; any similar alternatives?

Thanks a lot for any help you can provide. I'm not really into all of this as much as some others, so I hoped you could help. When I made my first hiking pack 2 years ago the online community has been very helpful and my bag was perhaps twice as light and useful as it would be if I did it on my own. So any suggestions on tents/systems would be great.

T-Rex

Edited by T-Rex (10/22/12 11:46 AM)

#170801 - 10/22/12 12:52 PM Re: Solo Tent [Re: T-Rex]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Based on your (thanks, detailed!) comments, my guess is that adding an inner net tent to your Golite poncho tarp wouldn't satisfy you. I have a Golite poncho, and indeed, my inclination in terms of using this as my shelter is to take it only on trips where I don't expect extended bouts of bad (wet) weather. It can work, but it's tight, site selection is important, and contrary winds/weather can cause issues anyway. A net tent that would work with it would not likely allow you to sit upright comfortably.

A single-walled tent is a common solution to the weight issue, but it's not clear from what you wrote whether you would find that acceptable. The usual places to look for such a shelter are tarptent.com, sixmoondesigns.com and likely others.

You might consider lightheartgear.com, I've been very happy with their solo tent. sixmoondesigns.com now sells one of very similar design to theirs; I've seen it, but have no experience with it. I think that this sort of hybrid single/double wall tent design is really excellent for those that use two trekking poles.

#170809 - 10/22/12 01:37 PM Re: Solo Tent [Re: BrianLe]
T-Rex Offline

Hi Brian,

Thank you for your reply! I also guess a tarp setup will not really satisfy. I've tried setting it up, but it's either leaving one side quite (as in very) vulnerable to horizontal rain or it's impossible to have any room to move.

Perhaps though, I could make an extention peace to the tarponcho. This is another option, perhaps something to try out for cheap. I'll carry this poncho anyway for I liked it as raingear, so may as well find a second use.

But for now, I'll focus on a tent system. I have no experience with single walled tents, so I wonder how bad these condensation issues would be. I guess it depends on climate also.

I never extensively used trekking poles before, so I can't say if it's something for me, but to carry two light poles wouldn't be a worry if the tent is good!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look into them. I'm currently making a spreadsheat with some alternatives which I'll probably put up here for future reference by others. Nothing too fancy, but anyway.

Peace out!
T-Rex

(by the way I forgot to add I posted this question elsewhere on another site, but can't reply there anymore, so apologies if anybody reads it twice)

Edited by T-Rex (10/22/12 01:40 PM)

#170814 - 10/22/12 03:46 PM Re: Solo Tent [Re: T-Rex]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Yes, some of us are on both sites. Welcome! We hope to escape the horrendous spam attacks that have forced closure of that other site to nonpaying members, but we are watching vigilantly.

A few months ago, John Abela compiled a list of solo tents that weigh less than 20 ounces (537 grams). These are all fully-enclosed shelters and the weights include stakes, guylines, but not the poles in the case of shelters that use trekking poles. Here is the link to his website. He also gives the weight in grams, so you don't have to convert. He lists a number of tarp/inner net tent combinations and a few that are slightly over his minimum weight. Nearly all these are made with cuben fiber and are therefore rather expensive, but they should give you some ideas.

I suggest checking the websites for these firms:
Tarptent
Six Moon Designs
Mountain Laurel Designs
Lightheart Gear
Hyperlite Mountain Gear
Bearpaw Wilderness Designs
Zpacks
Gossamer Gear

Some of these companies sell the fly (tarp) and enclosed inner net separately. However, put together the tarp and inner net make a fully enclosed tent.

You might particularly want to check the Tarptent Notch. It's a double-wall solo tent that weighs 740 g (26 oz.) This weight includes stakes and guylines but not poles. You can choose between a net or partly solid inner tent. Tarptent will sell you poles separately (on their ordering page) if you don't use trekking poles, but they aren't as strong as trekking poles. Two more to check are the Lightheart Gear tent Brian suggested and SMD's Skyscape. These two are a hybrid between single and double wall--they are single-wall only at the very top. If you decide on a single wall tent, the Tarptent Contrail is 700 g and $200.

There are a number of things you can do to manage the condensation issue, which can be as bad in a double-wall tent as in a single wall, except that in a double-wall tent you can't reach the condensation to wipe it off. Managing condensation (go down the page a ways).

If you don't use trekking poles, you may want to check Ruta Locura for sturdy carbon fiber tent poles. They are slightly heavier and more expensive than the poles that manufacturers sell to substitute for trekking poles, but they also appear to be stronger.

A few side notes: GoLite has gone to internet sales only (except for their own stores) and evidently won't ship to Europe. I've read that their SL-1 and SL-2 tents have been discontinued. Gossamer Gear is discontinuing "The One" because spinnaker fabric suitable for tents is no longer available. They are exploring other fabrics (some new) and will probably redesign the tent. (This per a conversation I had with Grant Sible of GG a few weeks ago).

I believe that most of the firms I've listed above will ship to Europe, but shipping costs vary considerably among firms. All of them welcome email inquiries and are usually quite prompt about replying.

I know there are also lightweight tents made in Europe and the UK, but I don't know much about them. I'm sure you will want to research those.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/22/12 04:11 PM)

#170817 - 10/22/12 04:17 PM Re: Solo Tent [Re: OregonMouse]
T-Rex Offline

Thank you very much for this eleborate reply!

I will come back with a reply as soon as I've done some more research.

#170836 - 10/23/12 11:23 AM Re: Solo Tent [Re: OregonMouse]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Over the years I have recorded a number of thoughts on my recommended shelters page which might be a useful supplement to John Abela's list.

#170884 - 10/24/12 12:27 AM Re: Solo Tent [Re: T-Rex]
FlashPacker Offline

I purchased a LightHeartGear Wedge solo tent this past summer and absolutely love it. I think it meets all of your requirements. It's under 2 lbs, stays dry, and has plenty of room. I can sit up fine with no problem. The tent is large enough inside that I can bring my pack in with me if I want. It in not free standing. I use my trekking poles for set-up, however, you can buy carbon fiber poles for it. The rain fly is attached to the netting however, you can open it up for an almost entirely unobstructed sky view. I was also very impressed with the build quality. The Wedge part of the tent extents the vestibule so that the vestibule can remain open even in inclement weather. By doing so, I can enter my tent in the rain without getting my tent interior wet. I hope this all makes sense and helps you.

#170885 - 10/24/12 02:08 AM Re: Solo Tent [Re: FlashPacker]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I would look at Terra Nova, made in the UK. Kind of pricey, but should be available where you are-
http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/ultralight-lightweight-tents/

#171012 - 10/28/12 10:27 AM Re: Solo Tent [Re: T-Rex]
T-Rex Offline

Thank you all for your replies. Amazing! After some consideration I think I will go with a pyramid tarp tent. They seem very versatile to me. I have a bit of time to come up with a specific brand & type.

In May I plan to walk the AT, so that's what it's first heavy task will be.

Edited by T-Rex (10/28/12 10:29 AM)

#174650 - 02/04/13 06:56 AM Re: Solo Tent [Re: T-Rex]
JMB Offline

Did you ever settle on one?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum