Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173383 - 12/31/12 10:46 PM New member introduction:
Heath Keim Offline

Loc: Wyoming, United States
I've been poking around on this forum for some time now, and felt that without registering and introducing myself, it may be classified as stalking.

I'm Heath, and have absolutely zero experience in backpacking. I grew up in eastern Nebraska (where no one backpacks), but have recently moved to central Wyoming. I've recently gotten the itch to try out backpacking since I live in a great area for it. The problem is that I'm having trouble finding anyone else in the area that has the same interest. Surely they're out there! Is there anyone out there from central Wyoming? If not, any tips for finding them?

That's all for now, looking forward to learning more every time I come back here.

#173386 - 12/31/12 11:08 PM Re: New member introduction: [Re: Heath Keim]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Welcome. Websites such as MeetUp may help you find someone. See if there is a local chapter of the Sierra Club in your area, it may organize outings such as day hikes or weekend trips. If you have a college or university nearby, see if they have any clubs you might join. Are there any outdoor stores in your area? If so, they may have a bulletin board for group outings or offer classes. REI stores usually offer classes at reasonable cost to learn basics and sometimes offer short evening classes for free to introduce gear that they sell.

Also, while no substitute for actual hiking experience, if you want to learn the basics, you can read books on backpacking. The Complete Walker IV, is a great start. The author of the original TCW, Colin Fletcher (who passed away a while back) is considered one of the foremost authors on backpacking. Read the articles here and on other websites. Forums are good for specific questions, but don't give you an overall picture or a base of knowledge.

Edited by TomD (12/31/12 11:13 PM)

#173387 - 12/31/12 11:27 PM Re: New member introduction: [Re: TomD]
Heath Keim Offline

Thanks Tom. While I have no exprience backpacking, I do have considerable experience in outdoor activities. I'm an avid hunter, and am an Eagle Scout during which time I learned a great deal about camping/outdoor survival, so I'm not completely clueless. I think I mostly need to learn about the packing and carrying process, and I'm slowly sifting through all of the articles that are posted on the home page (there's so much).

I appreciate the ideas for finding backpackers in the area. I'll be sure to do some of those

#173392 - 01/01/13 04:33 PM Re: New member introduction: [Re: Heath Keim]
TomD Offline

Heath, your situation is why I suggested reading a book like TCW. You can waste a lot of money buying gear or clothes unsuited for where you are and what you want to do. You should look at camping gear and clothing as systems. Fletcher (and now Rawlins) breaks down gear into systems such as kitchen and bedroom. The challenge is that there is so much gear out there to choose from, you need to figure out what is appropriate for your needs and that is not easy. Same for clothes and footwear.

One way to start understanding gear and clothes is to look at gear lists. There are several posted here with links from the home page of the site (not the forums, the actual home page). Members have also posted gear lists. I have mine here somewhere, but mine is for snow camping in the Sierra. With my list, you could swap out in some cases, dozens of alternatives for what I own, with a few exceptions, one being my parka.

Camping comes down to tradeoff between between the level of comfort you desire and how much you are willing to carry to accomplish that. Some people, especially on this site, focus on the lightest gear possible, which may not provide the same level of comfort as heavier gear, so keep that in mind when reading gear suggestions.

Edited by TomD (01/01/13 04:34 PM)

#173413 - 01/02/13 11:15 AM Re: New member introduction: [Re: TomD]
Heath Keim Offline

Thanks Tom...I have read through the pack lists on the home page. They seem to be quite helpful so far. I guess the decision that I'm struggling with most right now is what you hit on. How comfortable do I want to be? I'm leaning toward a heavier pack. The reason is that I'm more interested in the whole camping aspect in remote areas as opposed to covering a great deal of ground every day. In my mind, I think I'd enjoy covering 5-8 miles each day with more rest and relaxation when I reach my destination at the end of each day. Is there a forum/web site that places more focus on this style of backpacking?

I did use the meetup site to find an outdoors/backpacking group in Laramie that I'm' excited to become active with though Laramie is still a ways away from where I live. I'm still working on finding like-minded people in the Casper area.

#173424 - 01/02/13 09:12 PM Re: New member introduction: [Re: Heath Keim]
TomD Offline

Even lightweight sites like this one address the basics, regardless of the gear being used. My gear isn't especially lightweight, but I get a lot out of being here anyway as a lot of the knowledge here isn't necessarily about gear, but technique. Gear is only a means, not an ends, unless you are a collector. Having said that, do a Google search and you will find hundreds of backpacking sites, many about specific areas of the country or world, for that matter, plus sites about stoves, tents, skiing, snowshoeing, you name it. Just a matter of looking around.

#173425 - 01/02/13 09:31 PM Re: New member introduction: [Re: Heath Keim]
rockchucker22 Offline

Loc: Eastern Sierras
Originally Posted By Heath Keim
Thanks Tom...I have read through the pack lists on the home page. They seem to be quite helpful so far. I guess the decision that I'm struggling with most right now is what you hit on. How comfortable do I want to be? I'm leaning toward a heavier pack. The reason is that I'm more interested in the whole camping aspect in remote areas as opposed to covering a great deal of ground every day. In my mind, I think I'd enjoy covering 5-8 miles each day with more rest and relaxation when I reach my destination at the end of each day. Is there a forum/web site that places more focus on this style of backpacking?

I did use the meetup site to find an outdoors/backpacking group in Laramie that I'm' excited to become active with though Laramie is still a ways away from where I live. I'm still working on finding like-minded people in the Casper area.
There is no weight or mile requirement, as long as your getting out and camping. This is a great place with a wide variety of campers/ camping styles. Feel free to post any and all camping related questions. Quite a few sages on this site that can help with all.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum