Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#169337 - 09/12/12 01:00 PM Random Thought
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
I was thinking about alternatives to use for summer or warmer months. This came to mind. Normally I wouldn't care much for space blanket or anything similar since they generally don't breath and/or you have to replace them after every use. This one, however, is advertised as breathable and doesn't say anything about replacing after each use. You think this be a could be a decent alternative use for early fall, late spring and summer use or any time you would use a 50F bag?

#169369 - 09/13/12 10:26 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: ETSU Pride]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
That's certainly interesting. $50 seems a bit steep, it does have a zipper and drawstring and that adds value, but a fleece bag is only $20 or less, so I'd have to consider that too, and you can toss a SOL blanket over it and probably be even warmer.

I'm a big fan of that SOL material though, so I'm sure tempted to try it.

"You want to go where?"

#169373 - 09/13/12 11:06 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: billstephenson]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
This is $34 but doesn't have a zipper nor do I think it's as breathable as the $50 one. I'm pick one up next spring and use next summer. The cold months are coming for me to use the Mountain Hardwear Sleeping bag. smile

#169375 - 09/13/12 12:12 PM Re: Random Thought [Re: ETSU Pride]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
This doesn't seem so random! If you try it, I'd like to know how many uses you got out of it.

#169426 - 09/15/12 09:30 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: ETSU Pride]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
YMMV, but when I tried carrying an Adventure Medical breathable/reusable emergency blanket instead of a sleeping bag, I regretted the choice. This blanket is no longer on the market. It had a "silver" side and a cottony/paper side. The plan was to sleep in my hooded fleece jacket and pants, adding the blanket on cooler nights. I found that when the reflective blanket is the outer later, moisture condenses on the inside. In my experience, these blankets work better with another layer outside them. Used between my sleeping bag and me, the blanket added a lot of warmth.

Again, YMMV.

CamperMom_

#169428 - 09/15/12 10:13 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: CamperMom]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I think the SOL emergency bivy in the original post could work well especially in the summer. It could also be paired with something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/797113/sea-to-summit-reactor-plus-thermolite-compact-liner

Between the two of these you'd have spent just about $110 with a total weight of 17oz. You'd also have some degree of flexibility in use and also in packing.

On the flip side I have ordered a EE 30F quilt that is supossed to be right at 21oz and was $195 incl shipping.

#169429 - 09/15/12 10:36 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: ETSU Pride]
lori Offline

Olefin = tyvek.

I suspect they bonded some reflective surface to tyvek. Not going to be waterproof and not going to be warm.

I'd take extra clothes and a very large contractor's bag to make a tent with.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#169430 - 09/15/12 11:07 AM Re: Random Thought [Re: CamperMom]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
YMMV

That's true. I think there is a learning curve with using these products, and it's not been explained well by the companies that produce them.

For these to work you need some dead air space between you and the blanket. The reflective material heats that air, and that's whats keeps you warm. If your skin, or even thin clothing, is touching the blanket then it sucks the heat out of you, or does practically nothing to retain it. So it's about heating air. Air that's moving takes the heat with it.

This is why a layer of thick fleece works good under the blanket, the material has dead air trapped in it. It's why bubble foil insulation works great under your bag when you're in a hammock or on the ground. It's why a campfire tent made with this material works so good.

I spent several cold nights out last winter using a the standard SOL e-blanket over my down bag and there was a very thin layer of frost on the inside of the blanket and the top of my bag when I woke in the morning, but whenever that blanket slipped off my bag during the night I felt the cold instantly. My bag never got wet, the frost didn't thaw, and I shook most of it off and let it set in the sun a bit before packing it.

It could be that condensation issues with these have a lot to do with the dew point. If this new material can solve that problem to a reasonable degree without reducing the effectiveness of heat retention or adding much weight, that's significant.

I think putting my bag inside that breathable bivy might work great, and I'll probably figure out a way to get one before this next season is over.

The biggest drawback I've noticed with the standard SOL brand blanket is the shiny stuff comes off with use. This will obviously effect its efficiency, but I also worry a bit about what toxins that shiny stuff may contain.

It's what they don't tell you about that you have to look out for. crazy

"You want to go where?"

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum