Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168963 - 09/03/12 10:23 PM My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I talked with my neighbor who came by today, never does, he was along the section of the PCT in the Bucks Lake Wilderness the same time as I was there yesterday, some how we missed each other. A bear charged him, huffing and such, he yelled at it, waving his hiking poles, it stopped, he turned his back to walk away and it charged again. He yelled again and waved his poles once a gain. Slowly backed away while the bear huffed some more then the bear retreated, he came home I guess, did not say if he completed his hike to Mt. Pleasant. This was just above Granite Gap, one of us had the time wrong as I was there at about the same time. Silver Lake is a short 7 mile drove or so from home, where the trail starts up to Rock, Mud Lakes by Granite Gap.
Duane

#168966 - 09/03/12 11:09 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: hikerduane]
aimless Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
From that description, it seems plain that the bear considered him a threat for some reason. Hence the bluff-charging -- which is the correct terminology, I think, even if it didn't feel much like a bluff to your neighbor, I'm sure.

Too bad we can't ask the bear for more details about what the heck it was thinking.

#168976 - 09/04/12 09:21 AM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: hikerduane]
lori Offline

I wonder if he was too close to the cub, which may have been in a tree nearby....
The bear may have found a meal somewhere close too that it didn't want him to have. Hard to say, but I bet it made sense to the bear....

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168979 - 09/04/12 10:53 AM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: lori]
hikerduane Offline

Of course to both of you. smile It was in a fairly open area though, but the bear was over a slight hill. May have only heard my neighbor before acting.
Duane

#168981 - 09/04/12 11:47 AM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: hikerduane]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
If you all are really interested in this subject, read this:

Responding to Human-Black bear conflicts

This document is subject to change as bears are better understood, but I think most of the information is pretty right on for what it is. The behavior Duane described is a defensive display or dominance behaviour. It would be interesting to know if it was male or female, with cubs or single, ect. But I won't be the one to check wink

#168984 - 09/04/12 12:30 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: hikerduane]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
When I saw the subject line I thought a bear had set up a PCT tollbooth. grin

Giant, clawed rats, the whole lot of 'em.

Cheers,

#168985 - 09/04/12 01:24 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: Rick_D]
hikerduane Offline

About where I had to pick up the trail leading back down Granite Gap, I was passed by a couple cowboys headed nobo, horses loaded with panniers/gear, one had a can of beer. I had a brief thought to ask if he had more, but passed. They asked about Three Lakes, I told them I heard some rednecks firing shots Saturday night, they asked how I knew that, told them well it may have been a cowboy too, joking of course. Very clean looking guys in the late 30's or a tad older. Must of just started that morning.
My neighbor did not see a cub, no way of telling why the bear acted the way it did, may have just been surprised with the poor view of the trail or my neighbor was looking ahead too far and did not see the bear until the bear acted.
Duane

#168987 - 09/04/12 01:52 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: hikerduane]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
From what I've read and heard, it's never advisable to turn around and walk away from a bear charge. I'd always heard to wait till the bear is gone before backing away, but while in Yellowstone recently the ranger instructions were to back away slowly; maybe different protocol for grizzlies vs. black bear? Or maybe different protocol for pre-charge vs. post-charge.

I have luckily never been in that situation myself - glad to hear that your neighbor was fine when all is said and done. At least he has a great story to tell now!

Edited by dkramalc (09/04/12 01:53 PM)

#168991 - 09/04/12 02:26 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: dkramalc]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The way I recall it you're supposed to face down black bears but soil yourself and play dead for griz. Something like that.

I make sure to only have one set of rules to follow by not backpacking anywhere griz live. Keeps things simpler.

Originally Posted By dkramalc
From what I've read and heard, it's never advisable to turn around and walk away from a bear charge. I'd always heard to wait till the bear is gone before backing away, but while in Yellowstone recently the ranger instructions were to back away slowly; maybe different protocol for grizzlies vs. black bear? Or maybe different protocol for pre-charge vs. post-charge.

I have luckily never been in that situation myself - glad to hear that your neighbor was fine when all is said and done. At least he has a great story to tell now!

#168993 - 09/04/12 02:40 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: Rick_D]
Cranman Offline

Loc: Central NC
I think I would soil myself regardless of the type of bear...just sayin'

#168994 - 09/04/12 02:57 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: dkramalc]
skcreidc Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
dkramalc, did the ranger also mention avoiding direct eye contact? Just curious....

With the black bear, it's all about you telling the bear that he doesn't want any piece of you...but of course its all with attitude. Direct eye contact (loose the sun glasses), lots of loud "power" voice sounds, standing up tall, waving the hiking poles ect. Another reason to travel in groups cause its much less of a problem then.

Just to be clear, don't do that stuff with a griz. Animal behavior is pretty interesting stuff. Sometimes you might even have to use that knowledge.

Hikerduane, I'm glad your friend is ok.

Edited by skcreidc (09/04/12 02:57 PM)

#168999 - 09/04/12 06:30 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: skcreidc]
dkramalc Offline

Loc: California
Yes, they did mention no direct eye contact.

Here's been my general understanding based on various readings: with a charging black bear (in the absence of readily available bear spray) you don't move during the charge or shortly afterwards; whether or not you avoid eye contact depends on whether it's a mom defending cubs ("No mom, I'm not a threat, not even looking you in the eye, it's just little old me") or more of an aggressive challenge ("I'm a tough dude, not questioning your authority but you don't want to pick a fight with me regardless, Mr. Bear") or a stalking bear (fight back any way you can).

But of course it depends on the "authority". Doug Peacock, an author who wrote about spending a lot of time around grizzlies and has apparently had bazillions of encounters, wrote about acting more assertively with grizzlies only when it's a young male acting out his testosterone, but otherwise as you say being soft spoken and non-aggressive. I'm not recommending that but it's interesting to note.

The one universal thing seems to be not to turn around and walk or run away after a charge; that signals that you are "prey".

And yeah, I think my reaction to a charge would be soiling my pants, regardless of charging species. So far I've had plenty of black bear encounters but no really close-up ones.

#169013 - 09/04/12 09:27 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: dkramalc]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
With any predator, if it runs, it's dinner! Never run! IMHO that may be the hardest thing to remember when the confrontation happens.

#169018 - 09/04/12 10:30 PM Re: My neighbor was charged by a bear on the PCT [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Unfortunately, something like this you can't gain any experience before hand. My neighbor is retired, goes to South America and Mexico a few months in the winter, his wife to Germany. They have grandkids, so this got him thinking. He has a PLB for his mt bike rides, he'll probably get some pepper spray now to "pack" all the time as he has ridden up on a sow and cub before, with them not knowing he was there. He rides some with another retired gent.
Duane

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum