Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168830 - 08/28/12 11:42 PM Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question
mdilthey Offline

Hi!

I have a sleeping bag question. Since there's probably a million of these, I'm going to assume the responders are expert advice-givers and make this as clear and simple as possible.

NEEDS: I am stretching a 25L Backpack with an expanding top, along with a super-large lumbar pack, for 2-5 day adventures by using 1 pair of clothes, an ultralight henessey hammock, and ultralight packing principles/sacrifices. I need a sleeping bag that compresses very small for the bag, but I want to go winter camping and climb local mountains in midwinter in the northeastern US, often at moderate elevations like Mt Greylock and Mt Moosilauke. I will not be climbing in temperatures lower than 10º.

Sleeping Pad: I have a full-length rectangular Thermarest NeoAir with a high warmth rating. In the hammock, it covers everything except my feet.

Temperature: I sleep cold. I want to use this sleeping bag in the winter, but I also want something packable in as few liters as possible. I have a Sea to Summit Reactor liner that adds 10 or so degrees, and I sleep in midweight merino wool and Under Armour with extra thick wool socks. I have a pretty awesome ski jacket from L.L. Bean that I lay over my sleeping bag while I sleep.

What's my best bag under $400?

Since I have the hammock, I don't need to worry about moisture on the ground- down or synthetic doesn't matter to me. Weight isn't even that critical since I'm young and strong, just compressibility.

Best choice I have found so far: EMS Mountain Light: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4434443&cp=3677338.11326791.3705267

Thank you for taking the time to address another Sleeping Bag question- I really appreciate it!

Edited by mdilthey (08/28/12 11:44 PM)

#168831 - 08/28/12 11:46 PM Re: Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question [Re: mdilthey]
lori Offline

You'll have to look at quilts. Best bang for the buck and there are lots to choose from now.

Enlightened gear quilts, Jacks R Better quilts, Hammock Gear, Warbonnet, all just a google away and less than $400. All quality gear. All compress smaller than any sleeping bag because they have less material - nothing underneath you. Less bulk to fight with in the hammock - many hammockers use the sleeping bag like a quilt but find that gives them an overabundance of material to bunch up around them.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#168832 - 08/29/12 12:04 AM Re: Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question [Re: lori]
mdilthey Offline

I'm not so sure about quilts... For starters, I often feel like the material underneath me creates that "seal" around me that keeps me warm. I'm sure these are tested and refined, but I can't help but feel like I'm going to slide to the side of the quilt and wake up shivering.

I have mastered the complicated, tantric art of getting into a sleeping bag in the hammock through months of sleeping in it.

Secondly, on some rare occasion, I foresee myself using it outside a hammock. Inside a shelter or cabin, on a porch, in a car, in a treeless tundra (unlikely) or in a 2-person tent with a girl- all semi-realistic possibilities and I want the bag to be ready for them.

#168834 - 08/29/12 12:43 AM Re: Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question [Re: mdilthey]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
If you're counting on a T-rest to keep you warm I hope it's wider than the typical 20 inches. The hammock has a tendency to wrap up your sides and compress the bag, creating cold spots. Recommend finding a 24-inch pad, even if it's a cheap closed-cell foam one.

Confess I liked my trials with a GoLite quilt in my Hennessy this spring--warm and much easier to get in and out of than a traditional sleeping bag.

Happy experimenting,

#168845 - 08/29/12 12:16 PM Re: Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question [Re: mdilthey]
BZH Online   content

Loc: Madison, AL
I still think you should give a quilt a try. Quilts do move with you more than your blanket at home. Plus the sides of the hammock will help keep it aligned. Quilts were made for hammocks.

As far as non-hammock use... well I use a quilt and I don't use a hammock. Check out my review of my Enlightened Equipment quilt from a couple months back. I am very happy with it.

I also concur, you probably need to improve your backside insulation.

#168851 - 08/29/12 12:52 PM Re: Sleeping Bag for a Hammock- Simple Question [Re: BZH]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Marmot has some very nice sleeping bags for the weight and compression. I'm new to hammock and I'm planning to ditch the pad altogether when I get a under quilt to insulate my backside. I'll keep the pad for when I use a tent. I will use the same sleeping bag for either abode.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Bear Facts
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:47 AM
Aramark
by balzaccom
05/10/24 10:46 AM
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 152 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dellagoss, StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky
13242 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum