Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#168519 - 08/16/12 12:04 PM Backpacking Tents...Need Advice
Rebar Danjello Offline

Hello all,

I'm looking into purchasing my first backpacking tent. I've used tents that belong to others, but I've decided it's time to get my own. I'm looking for a 2P tent with a primarily mesh construction, full coverage rainfly, and plenty of vestibule space in the $150 - $250 range and 5-ish lb weight range.

I'm currently considering three different tents: (1) Marmot Astral 2P, (2) Marmot Aura 2P and (3) Kelty Trail Ridge 2. (To avoid confusion, I have Pro Deals, so the costs of the Marmots is brought down to the $200 range). What have been other peoples' experiences with any of these tents? I'm particularly interested in what people think of the Astral 2P because it's hard to find reviews online since it's a new tent.

I'm really interested in buying one of the Marmot tents, but I'm afraid that the nylon bottom doesn't extend high enough vertically to combat any rain or sand that gets blown under the fly. Is this a valid concern? This is why I'm considering the Kelty...I like the fact that the nylon extends higher along the sides of the tent.

Finally (because I'm new to this and a little gear clueless) what is the difference in quality between a tent that's normally $300 - $350, like the Marmots, and something like the Kelty that's normally in the $150 range?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Rebecca

Edited by Rebar Danjello (08/16/12 12:06 PM)

#168520 - 08/16/12 12:55 PM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: Rebar Danjello]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
Different tents are useful in different conditions, so if you want some advice on tents you should first describe the conditions that you will use it under.

That being said, 5lbs seems kind of heavy for a 2 person backpacking tent.

On the differences between Marmot and Kelty. I tend to think their are small differences where Marmot is in general a little better quality. They use a little better materials and have a little tighter quality control. I think Kelty is trying to use a mass produced technique and as a result is able to offer there tents at a great price. All else being equal, I would choose a Marmot over Kelty, but at typical prices you can get these tents for I would probably choose the Kelty. Indeed I own a Kelty tent.

I terms of the higher side walls of the Kelty. It would probably help with blown sand (I doubt rain would be an issue), but it could also reduce ventilation.

#168522 - 08/16/12 01:54 PM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: BZH]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN

#168524 - 08/16/12 02:16 PM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: BZH]
Rebar Danjello Offline

Truth....I'm looking for something that'll hold up decently in typical New England spring/summer/fall weather, so at the very worst heavy rain with a solid wind. I'm not really looking to keep snow out/off, but I'd like to be prepared for the occasional freak October snow storm? Maybe?

Re: weight: I've dealt with some dinosaur age Eureka clunkers strapped to my pack, so 5 lbs is my maximum weight. I probably should have clarified that...I'm not dying for a 5 lb tent, BUT I'm okay with trading in an extra pound or two for some extra room. I'm a fan of the vertical/near vertical side walls.

Cheers!

Edited by Rebar Danjello (08/16/12 02:32 PM)

#168526 - 08/16/12 02:38 PM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: Rebar Danjello]
ETSU Pride Offline

Loc: Knoxville, TN
Originally Posted By Rebar Danjello
Hello all,

Finally (because I'm new to this and a little gear clueless) what is the difference in quality between a tent that's normally $300 - $350, like the Marmots, and something like the Kelty that's normally in the $150 range?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Rebecca

After I posted those links, I started thinking about this since a subject about costs always interest me. (I have an accounting degree.) I always think about things like this a lot, but in my experience in buying gears, I've noticed a lot of expensive products (use tents and sleeping bag in this example) generally tend to be lighter. My theory is, product cost is one thing and at the retail level you can buy the same fabrics used in those products from $3-$10 a yard. At wholesale or directly from supplier? I have no clue about price variance. (that kind of information isn't laying around in the opening, ya know?) I think it could be anywhere from 20-50% lower than retail. I believe, the administrative costs and research/ development costs are a lot higher than the product costs. It takes a lot of practicing in developing these lightweight products. Experimenting with different fabrics, sewing patterns, creating baffles, etc all while trying to keep the weights and volumes at a minimal for the ultra light enthusiasts, if you will. While the lower end products (keep in mind we are talking about tents and sleeping bag) there is less work in trying to develop lightweight products and experimenting with fabrics, etc. And it is simply just mass produced for the common folks who don't demand ultra light gears.

Of course it all a theory and I'm sure someone else might prove me wrong, and say they are just prideful of their products and believe they can stick a price on it and someone will buy. cool

Edited by ETSU Pride (08/16/12 02:40 PM)

#169025 - 09/05/12 04:22 AM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: Rebar Danjello]
Dcsouthgw Offline

Easy answer, REI half dome or quarter dome. Half dome is bombproof and the quarter a bit skimpier, but lighter. If you carry treking poles, you could try Nemos 2p a frame tent. It is hybrid single double wall, not free standing, and will have less head room, but is pretty light. If you want to think outside the box and go way light, check out six moons designs. Some of their shelters are actually dual purposed ponchos, so you could save some serious weight.

#169027 - 09/05/12 04:32 AM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: Dcsouthgw]
frediver Offline

Be aware that most two person tents aren't 2 person unless you are Very Friendly, that is how they currently achieve there lower weights, imo they cheat

#169037 - 09/05/12 09:22 AM Re: Backpacking Tents...Need Advice [Re: Rebar Danjello]
rjones Offline

I just bought a MSR Hubba Hubba from EMS for 263.00, kinda hard to beat the price for what you get. Not the super lightest but not heavy AND it's a good size 2 person, in my opinion. EMS has others on sale if you haven't looked already.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 167 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum