Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#165398 - 04/27/12 05:09 PM Golite Ultralite 800 quilt—fleeting 1st impression
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
"Victimized" by another "everything-half-price!" Golite sale, I ordered an Ultralite 800 quilt that arrived yesterday. It's very nicely made, very lofty, very light and the long is really darn long--I can completely disappear in the thing and could certainly have used the medium instead (same price, spec is 3 oz difference).

Design is simple--a generous footbox below the bottom opening which, itself is closed to the user's preference by a pair of adjustable straps. The foot and top have extra-repellant fabric panels to fend off excess moisture, including exhalation.

Not much to add, as my fiddling time has been brief. This should be the bee's knees for hammocking and most foreseeable three-season ground-bound sleeping as well. I've little doubt it's properly rated well below freezing because the loft seems generous in the fully baffled chambers. How to keep two blue bags called "Ultralite" in my closet separate is a small chore I now face. Somehow I'll muddle through.

Cheers,

#166116 - 05/23/12 02:09 PM Re: Golite Ultralite 800 quilt—2nd impression [Re: Rick_D]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Some feedback after my first trip with the quilt.

The supplied stuffsack is comically small--I imagine one could force the bag inside with a lot of grunting and a hammer, but I don't think either the bag or the stuffer would benefit from the experience. Simple solution: use a larger sack--a dry sack is best since it's down. Thus bagged it takes about as much pack space as a 30-degree down mummy bag.

For hammocking I found it much easier to get inside a quilt than my typical mummy bag. Pop the feet into the footbox after maneuvering over the two closure straps and pull the quilt up to the chin. That's it.

It's also easier to wrestle a foam pad into position when in a quilt because my arms are still free. Add the pillow and read or go to sleep.

The grosgrain under-straps aren't easy to adjust from inside as they fold over and jam in the buckles. I may experiment with thicker straps that stay flat; hopefully they won't dig into my back.

My "duh" moment came day two when I noticed the top of the quilt has a closure cord and toggle and snaps to enclose the shoulders. Now there's a good idea! Much of the draftiness I felt night one went away when I used the snap closure.

First night was near freezing, second night was in the low 40s and the third night was warm--probably 50+. I was a little cold night 1, a combination of not using the rainfly, not being situated correctly over the pad and not knowing about the quilt's top closure. The next two nights I added the fly, improved the hammock pitch to better handle the pad and used the top closure. I was perfectly comfortable and I even skipped the knit cap night 3.

In sum--for hammocking the quilt is easier than a regular mummy bag and I think is reliably warm to freezing (given some user education). I wouldn't (intentionally) try it down to the rated 20 degrees in a hammock without a serious underquilt, but hammock sleeping is very different from ground sleeping, since you're basically in a reverse convection oven. For what I paid, I think this quilt is a tremendous bargain. I'll try it for ground sleeping this summer.

Cheers,

#166131 - 05/24/12 12:16 AM Re: Golite Ultralite 800 quilt—2nd impression [Re: Rick_D]
Ilivas Offline

I want one, I just wish they would get them back in stock at that price.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum