Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#163454 - 03/07/12 08:08 PM Short trip to Big Bend
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Well, we are sort of planning a trip to Big Bend National Park (TX) during the four-day weekend I get for "spring break" next weekend. Some friends of my boyfriend's had planned to go, so I think we will be joining them (though the latest is that they were thinking of backing out, so it may just be us). It is a 10 hour drive, so hopefully we will be able to leave wednesday night and get most of the way, maybe stay in a motel, then arrive early thurs. Still waiting on the word from the others involved to see if they were planning on car camping or doing any backpacking. I am pretty excited, I have heard it is an amazing place! I know we will have to carry lots of water. I think we are going to have to kind of play it by ear based on what sites are available when we get there - I imagine spring break is a busy time. Has anyone else been to Big Bend and have any experience to share?

Edited by palameto (03/07/12 08:09 PM)

#163466 - 03/07/12 11:09 PM Re: Short trip to Big Bend [Re: palameto]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Yup, been there over 40 times since 1974. It will be crowded for Spring Break. My suggestion would be to drive all afternoon, get there after midnight, sleep in the car at Persimmon Gap or Panther Junction, and secure your car camping sites when the ranger station opens up. Candilla, Nugent Mountain are both good sites, secluded, but close to a main road. The Basin is where the nicest, and most popular, hikes will be and you can get there early as well. The South Rim Loop Trail is a good first overnighter. Yes, bring lots of water.
You'll want to visit the hot springs area, especially in the evening. Santa Elena Canyon is nice too. They may have the border opened back up by now, so you might be able to head over to Boquillas for some fun. It's a huge place and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Edited by Dryer (03/08/12 09:08 AM)

#163754 - 03/12/12 08:45 AM Re: Short trip to Big Bend [Re: Dryer]
palameto Offline

Loc: East Texas
Thanks, Dryer. We are going during spring break so we're afraid all the sites will be full, and are preparing to have to do zone camping. Should be interesting! We are planning to drive most of the night and perhaps stay at a motel a few hours away, then get up early to arrive at the ranger station when it opens. Most people will already be in the park for spring break though by the time we arrive on thursday... or perhaps some of them will be leaving by then?

I'm just bummed that I wont be able to use my hammock (unless we get lucky and get a spot in the Chisos)! Back to the hard ground.. wink

#163759 - 03/12/12 09:30 AM Re: Short trip to Big Bend [Re: palameto]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
You might get lucky on a Thursday if you get there early enough i.e, station opening time. The closest hotel to the park on your side of it is the Gage Hotel, a bit pricey but very nice, in Marathon. There is a ton of camping at the Stillwell campgrounds just outside the Persimmon Gap park entrance. It's big, inexpensive, dusty, but still useful. Rio Grande Village (in the park) has plenty of camping too. It's busy there because of the store and showers but it's also a large campsite area.
We ALWAYS, Spring Break, holidays, or not, try and get there at station opening time to secure our favorite remote camp sites. Bring your hammock, it's also likely you'll get a site on Thursday up on the SR Loop, but you must check in at the Basin ranger station. Sometimes, if you get the right person, other stations will call the basin and secure a site but don't count on it, ask anyway. Watch out for ranger "Bill" (middle aged, beard) at the Rio Grande station. He'll ask you if you have 4WD on your car. If you say no, he'll make up all sorts of "rules" and not issue you a back country camping pass. We were there in November and heard all sorts of "bill" stories, including our own. The park has no 4WD rules, only recommendations. Know your car's limits.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 105 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum