Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#157638 - 11/18/11 05:17 AM Backpacking in new zealand???!!
toast Offline

Hey guys im new to this site and recently i have decided to do some backpacking in new zealand next year.However i have absolutly no idea how to go about this,dont know how to plan doing this.Ive visited some websites etc to gain some knowledge but still in the dark.Im also thinking about travelling by myself as all my mates are tied down with permanent jobs at the moment.Please could you help me as i woul really like to do this but feel abit overwhelmed on "how" thanks guys!!!

#157639 - 11/18/11 07:25 AM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: toast]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Logically, the first step would be to travel to New Zealand. Where in the world are you?

#157642 - 11/18/11 11:30 AM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: toast]
BZH Offline

Loc: Madison, AL
There are two main ways of going about this. You could organize your own trip or join a guided tour.

If you organize your own trip, it would involve research where you want to go and how to get their. Plus you would have to assemble all of your own gear. With a guided tour all of that could be done for you. So... what are you looking for?

#157643 - 11/18/11 12:20 PM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: toast]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Are you interested in trekking (which is what this site is about) or in budget travel? If it's trekking, we can help with gear (see the home page of this site) and I'm sure at least a few here can help with information. Googling "trekking New Zealand" turns up quite a few sites. A guidebook will also help.

If your interest is in "backpacking" as budget travel/staying in hostels (the non-American definition), then the Lonely Planet website is a more appropriate place for you. Although a number of us have traveled widely, this site is about backpacking as wilderness trekking, the American definition of the term.

EDIT, LATER: Just found this information re NZ trekking on a local Pacific NW hiking forum.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/18/11 12:46 PM)

#157664 - 11/19/11 12:46 PM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge

#157836 - 11/26/11 09:16 AM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: OregonMouse]
MPCWatkins Offline

Loc: Middle Georgia
I actually stopped into this thread to see if any has posted about the new NZ trail.

That looks like an incredible trail. Since it's new it's open to some record setting...
I've caught myself thinking about it since the day I heard of it. I'm getting my self more and more interested.

As far as the OP's request goes, I would agree. Can't quite give advice until we know exactly what kind of "backpacking" you would like to do. I'm a member of both this and Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum and they are both great for their respective specialization. If it's non-American backpacking you want. Head over to Lonely Planet. There's TONS of info for that type of stuff over there.

#157853 - 11/26/11 06:38 PM Re: Backpacking in new zealand???!! [Re: MPCWatkins]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Here is their website.

http://www.teararoa.org.nz/index.cfm

btw, if you haven't spent any time there, you have no idea how bad the weather can be pretty much any time of the year. I've been rained on heavily from Keri Keri on the North Island to Lake Manapouri on the South Island. Anyone planning on this trip should be prepared with good gear for all conditions, including snow and ice at Arthur's Pass, depending on when you are there.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum