Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155538 - 10/07/11 09:31 PM BD Hilight tent, take it back?
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Ok, I've been in Retail Management over 30 years, so I feel once something is used and there are no defects, keep it. I bought my Hilight over three years ago at REI, who have a very liberal return policy. I would have taken it back after I bought it if I knew it weighted more than stated, but when I did weigh it, I had seam sealed it already. Since, there have been posts related to the fabric on some being less waterproof than others, a quality issue I guess is a concern. Exchange it now for another winter tent? REI has a sale now, so it would be a good time to exchange, I did get this one on sale also. I would have about a $270-$280 credit. I believe these were over $300. I still want a HS Rainbow, maybe have them credit my credit card and have Henry ship a Rainbow to me.:) That does not solve the winter tent issue though. Any Retailers out there?
Duane

#155549 - 10/08/11 09:11 AM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Have you used the tent? Did it fail in some manner?

To me, the ethics of return are: if I ordered it, it arrives with no apparent defects, and it's not what I wanted, I can return it as long as it's in resellable condition with all the tags (not necessarily attached, since you sometimes have to remove them to open a pocket or stuff sack.) If I take it on a trip, and it doesn't fail (leaks, falls apart, etc.), it's mine. If it fails, I can return it. (REI's policy on returns, to me, means that it doesn't have to fail on the first trip, just any time within reasonable life expectancy.)

If I subsequently decide, after using it a while, that I don't like it, I can sell it as used, or give it away.

#155554 - 10/08/11 12:32 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: Glenn]
hikerduane Offline

My understanding is BD had some batches of material that worked and some that allowed too much water thru. I get spritzed in mine when it rains. Fortunately, I use it in the shoulder seasons and winter snow camping, but one Fall I did get rained on in Yosemite, so I got spritzed as I call it. I believe there was a discussion here a few weeks back about BD's quality issues. I have used the tent the last three years, in the Fall mostly and winter trips, snow camping. It doesn't breath too well and if not left pretty opened up, will have frost inside.
Duane

#155558 - 10/08/11 03:05 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If there's a defect in the material batch that is just now coming to light, that's a different story - then a return is warranted.

#155568 - 10/08/11 08:38 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: Glenn]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Discussed many times but often hard to tell the difference between mist through the fly and mist from the fly.
I have experienced both inside another BD (as I have with the TT) so I know that is possible either way but often by wiping down the wet interior stops the mist at least till the fabric is wet (from internal condensation) again.
This morning I spotted a comment at Outdoor Magic about the inside of a certain double wall tent being wet in the morning, however the guy also mentioned that the two other tents there had the same problem, so sometimes it has to do with the particular time and location not just the shelter.
http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/31PNJTJwdGg
This is a short video clip I shot last week.
Because it was raining hard, the humidity level was high and we were camping next to a river, an hour or so after getting inside the tent (early evening) I started to get some mist.
After a few , it appeared to come from outside (penetration) but thought of wiping down to see what happened. After the first quick wipe I had finer mist so wiped again and the mist stopped. The rain remained around the same , that is changing in intensity but even during the louder moments I was still dry.
I wiped down again a couple of times during the night to coincide with my mate's pee break (his light woke me up) and then later my own.
It rained the next day and night and my sleeping bag remained dry apart from some dampness all over from the humid air but not from mist.

Franco

#155569 - 10/08/11 09:54 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: Franco]
hikerduane Offline

Franco, I just got in my tent as it had started to rain, I beat the storm to my site and had dinner before it started in, so there was no time for condensation from my breathing. I had it vented good. The Hilight is a single wall tent also. I had been rained on in my floorless Squall after a sleet/snow pellet storm about the same time of year in Yosemite. Heavy condensation, then the rain/sleet knocked the condensation off the shelter, just like rain inside, all my clothes that were laid out got wet. I went home then as I did not know if I could get my stuff dry, but I had been out for three nights already and it looked like the snow could continue.
Duane

#155581 - 10/09/11 04:46 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I would talk to someone at REI in management (not just floor sales) about the problem and see what they say. You might also talk to someone at BD and see if they have had problems with that batch. They should be able to figure out when it was made by when you bought it and where it was sold.

#155585 - 10/09/11 07:43 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: TomD]
Franco Offline

My comment was as a tent fan but thinking about it probably sounded like I wanted to put you off buying a TT..
TomD does make a very good point that you have a good (genuine) case to talk to REI about it, after all that is what their return policy is all about not the perpetual new boots every time the others are worn out out as some seem to use it for...
Franco

#155589 - 10/09/11 08:48 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: Franco]
hikerduane Offline

Tom, I'll send an email to BD.

Franco, what you speak of I know some take advantage of it. That is why I ask.

At the stovies meet up in Oregon a month ago, they gave me a TNF Rock 22 that was found after one of the meetups in AZ or CA. It has bad zippers on the tent and fly. The fly has at least half a dozen cuts that I have seen so far, I want to contact TNF to see if it can be repaired and how much.

Duane

#155590 - 10/09/11 09:01 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
Franco Offline

I have only repaired Epic ( it isn't a good idea to but a HOT stove close to the fabric...) and silnylon.
I don't remember how I did Epic (possibly from a McNett kit...) but with silnylon I just cut a patch , round off the corners and apply with undiluted silicone.
(to keep the other side in place I use painters masking tape. I peel that off as soon as the silicone starts to take)
BTW, 100% silicone is a glue, the stuff for bathrooms usually is not...
With polyester or nylon I would probably try Tenacious tape
( i would not attempt the zippers because I am hopeless at sewing...)
Franco

#155630 - 10/10/11 08:12 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I would contact Penny at http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com

She was a moderator here for a long time (PennyS). Penny is an authorized TNF out of warranty repair shop.

Edited by TomD (10/10/11 08:40 PM)

#155631 - 10/10/11 09:01 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: TomD]
hikerduane Offline

Cool Tom. I forgot about her. Would she do the zippers or do you know? I still need to contact TNF. I guess I would qualify for out of warranty, since this was just a found item. Thanks for the reminder, I did send BD a email an hour ago.
Duane

Side note Tom, I see Winter Trekking has been down for quite a while. I did get a couple MSR stoves from one new member last Spring.

Edited by hikerduane (10/10/11 09:02 PM)

#156323 - 10/25/11 10:17 PM Re: BD Hilight tent, take it back? [Re: hikerduane]
hikerduane Offline

I have yet to hear from BD, I'll have to send them another email.
Duane

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum