Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
BackcountryGear.com
backcountry gear

---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store
 ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves, Cookware
Ultralight Down Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Slings & Webbing
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial
Ice & Snow
Helmets
Climbing Shoes
Climbing Accessories

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Shovels
Tele-Accessories
Hats, Gloves, Gaiters
Accessories

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Casual
Men's Climbing
Men's Trail
Women's Casual
Women's Climbing
Women's Trail

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens
Womens
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool
all brands

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Award Winners
New Arrivals
Top Rated
Lightweight
Shop Green

SHOP ECONOMICALLY 

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Bargains, Sales

SIBLINGS 

Backpacking Lite Home
Backpacking & Hiking Books
Backpacking Food
Backpacking Recipes

Stay Healthy--Eat Well

MARY JANES FARM ORGANIC MEALS

Mary Janes Farm Organic Backcountry Meals

NATURAL HIGH GOURMET MEALS

Natural High

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155485 - 10/06/11 09:54 PM Planning a trip. Gear List Help
Nick K. Offline

so ive been planning on taking a back country hiking/camping trip it will be 3 days long (Fri, Sat, Most of Sun) in washington state, so temps wont be too crazy just lots of rain always laugh

http://amzn.com/w/ALJYNLQ3LEMW

any tips? am i spending too much on somthing? do i have most of everything? some small stuff and food stuffs will be purchased locally. ive camped before but never anything of this length without packing it all into a car.. lol

weight shouldnt be that much of an issue as im trying to keep it as light as possible tho I am a pretty big guy and do physical labor all day for work.

ANNNNND. boots will be some form of danner waterproof goretex with vibram sole. thinking 5" or 6" boot.

Cheers,
NK

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:21 PM)

#155486 - 10/06/11 10:02 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
It really depends on where you are going, and when. If I were you, I would try to rent or borrow as much equipment as I could---so that I could see which stuff I really liked, and which stuff made me grumpy.

And I wouldn't take a folding shovel on very many trips...

You can see our list on our website. You might want to compare and see how yours stacks up. Bear in mind that weight is at LEAST as important as price. Lighter is definitely the way to go!

check out our website and blog: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/home

#155487 - 10/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: balzaccom]
Nick K. Offline

money is a big thing. but as my family goes camping all the time i wouldnt mind having a nice set of gear for campground camping lol.. and the trip isnt gona be for a few months so I will have time to spread the money for it out.

also what would the rules be for going in the woods? shovel was cuz i thought i would have to bury my #2. lolalso shovel for assist in making firepit for nights?

and I dont think I ever do anything minimally heh.

im guessing that the trip will not be during the month or two of warm weather we get here. and appart from a few brutally cold nights here and there the weather kinda stays the same for most of the year lol. 50-70 degrees with constant rain.

ALSO @ THE GUY BELOW
ive looked at alot of those lists. was just wanting some feedback if anything looked bad or was a shotty company. or wutnot.

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:23 PM)

#155488 - 10/06/11 10:16 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Several good gear lists on the home page of this site, plus lots of tips on gear selection and many other aspects of backpacking.

#155491 - 10/06/11 10:48 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Most of what you've picked out looks pretty good.

I don't think you need two battery chargers.

That's a really big Ka-bar knife, I doubt you'll need two knives.

Probably don't need a zippo lighter. A small Bic would likely do fine.

The folding shovel wouldn't make it into my pack.

Neither would the light sticks.

Check out the Gear List and other info linked on the left side of the page here. That will give you some good ideas. Read the article on "Lightening the Load" too.

Since this is your first multi-day trip, I suggest you take whatever you want. What ever makes you comfortable. When you get back go over your gear again and take a second look at what you didn't use, and of those items look for what you didn't need. Then consider leaving what you didn't use and don't need at home next time.

For example, I have a Two-Way Radio and I carried it a few times after I got it, but I don't carry it anymore. Except for the NOAA weather channels, I never used it. I carry my cell phone instead now. It has good weather apps, and I have a better chance of contacting someone if I need to, and vice/versa.

"You want to go where?"

#155492 - 10/06/11 10:52 PM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: billstephenson]
Nick K. Offline

hmmm.. there must be somthing wrong with the list.

the knife is big but not retardedly big.(5" blade isnt that big?) there is only one on the list.

only one bruton batterypack and misc batteries for rest. no chargers.

i like zippo. its for my ciggies

shovel is gone.

annnd 2way radio is cuz my first trip will be with 2 or so other people.

Edited by Nick K. (10/06/11 10:57 PM)

#155499 - 10/07/11 07:38 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
lori Offline

You did ask for feedback - this is where many of us started, getting the idea that what we were planning maybe wasn't as ideal as we thought. I no longer have the first set of gear I started with, for example.

5" is a huge knife, compared to what I carry. I cannot think of a single chore that I would need a 5" blade to do. I also take no batterypack, no zippo, and none of the other gear you have on the list. Does not mean your list is bad, just heavy and not to my personal liking. But I can tell you exactly why I don't carry those things and let you think on that.

Selecting gear from Amazon means you can't try on the things that need to fit - the pack needs to work for you, and the gear you want to take all needs to fit inside and carry well with it. Can't stress how important that fit is.

If this is your first trip with a backpack I will suggest renting, not buying, the major gear. Don't waste money until you know A) you want to keep backpacking and B) you know what you want. (You don't know what you don't know right now. I know this, because before my first adult, self planned outing, I knew less than you.)

I would not buy Alps Mountaineering sleeping bags, either, based on experience, sleeping bags that are cheap are also very heavy and not real warm.

Rent the sleeping bag, pad (something you are missing and will need), stove, pack, and maybe some trekking poles. Pack some synthetic or wool layered clothing. Pack some food. See how it goes.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#155501 - 10/07/11 10:01 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for breaking the ice, Lori; I was trying to figure out a polite way of saying, "You really aren't going to equip yourself from Amazon, are you?!"

In the original post, you don't say where you live; but since it's only 2-3 nights you're planning, I'll assume you live near where you're going, which puts you somewhere in the Northwest. That means there's a good chance there's an outdoor shop near you (perhaps REI, or maybe a local outfitter.) Buy your stuff there. You have to really try hard to buy lesser-quality outdoor gear nowadays, but if you're dead set on getting the heaviest, least useful gear you can find, Amazon would be a good place to start. (Dick's, Gander Mountain, Pro Bass, and WalMart are also places to easily go wrong.) Don't get me wrong; these places also have some good gear, but they have a lot of marginal and unsuitable gear for backpacking.

The outdoor store will carry a better range of gear. Yes, their sleeping bags and packs will cost more than the stuff on Amazon - there's a reason for that: quality. The outdoor store will also have a knowledgeable staff that can quickly tell you what you do and don't need, and how the pieces come together to form a good kit. They'll be able to fit your pack to you, which, as Lori said, is vitally important; they'll also be able to help you pick the proper capacity pack. You'll pay a bit more, but you'll be way ahead in the long run, because you won't be replacing the bag, pad, etc. right away and because good advise from people who know their inventory is worth a little extra money.

One specific comment: while the Katadyn filter is a good one, it's probably overkill for anything you'll be doing. Take a look at the MSR Miniworks. It's cheaper, simpler to use, reliable, reasonably light (but not ultralight) and consistently gets high marks (well, maybe not from SkateboardJoe on Amazon, but definitely from people who've spent some time actually using it in the backcountry.)

Do some research on gear lists here, then print one out and head to a reputable backpacking & camping store.

Edited by Glenn (10/07/11 11:39 AM)
Edit Reason: Refining a thought

#155502 - 10/07/11 11:18 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Nick K.]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Looks like the list has changed since yesterday. I must have misread the description of the rechargeable batteries, but I could swear I saw a charger on the list yesterday too.

Here are the two knives I mentioned:

Victorinox Swiss Army Soldier Knife Standard Issue

Ka-Bar Becker BK2 Campanion Fixed Blade Knife

Zippo's are great lighters. I used to burn my skin a lot with them when I carried one in my pocket and it leaked on me. Of course, I was only about 12 years old then, and made a habit of filling them with way more lighter fluid than they needed wink

"You want to go where?"

#155503 - 10/07/11 11:36 AM Re: Planning a trip. Gear List Help [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Weight really does matter no matter how big you are. You may be able to carry a bag of cement from the truck easier than a small person, but it's a whole new game when you are carrying it the equivalent of up and down the Empire State Building. Then your own body weight becomes a disadvantage.

There are 7 or 8 people on the site who drug my choices through the mud all through the summer. Now my pack is under 26 pounds for a 3 night/4 day trip. Down from 43 pounds at the beginning of the summer. It could be a couple pounds lighter, but I decided to keep some things. (Like the pack.)

The best advice was getting a postage scale to weigh everything. The second best thing I did was make a spreadsheet of what I carried and the weights. Mine is below. There are some things I don't bring others consider essential. A knife, compass, toilet paper, sleeping pad. There are other things I could replace with lighter or better choices, but I'm not ready to spend the money yet. A new sleeping bag is likely what I'll buy next, but I'm still debating which one.

Cost is also a factor. $62 seems excessive for a compass unless you are orienteering.

Look at the websites people have in their signature's. Lori's is real good. And so is balzaccom's.

Here is my list. None of it is especially expensive or top of the line. I'd suggest making one for yourself so it gives some direction to your purchases. BTW, I have Danner boots with an 8" top and I love them. It's one place I go completely against the crowd.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Need help to find a backpack I saw once
by Antwankl
10/30/14 04:06 AM
sawyer mini inline freeze prevention
by coolerwill
10/28/14 12:30 PM
TENTS - Laser Competition 1 or Telemark Nordisk 1
by AJTG
10/27/14 08:02 AM
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
It Officially Backpacking Season in the Ozarks!
by billstephenson
10/20/14 02:41 AM
Flare Pans
by billstephenson
10/13/14 11:23 PM
Backpack for Petite Girl??
by Porleander
10/12/14 07:02 PM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Wearable sleeping bag sort of like Nunatak Raku
by Endless
10/29/14 10:27 PM
Made my first 3x3m Tarp
by Tacblades
10/26/14 05:19 AM
Online Fabric Retailers
by 4evrplan
06/11/14 01:08 PM
Featured Photos
Breakneck Ridge, New York
May 2012 Eclipse, Lassen Park
New Years Eve 2011
Trip Report with Photos
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Welcome to the Trip Report with Photos Forum
Who's Online
1 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Towerhouse, muncybob, Antwankl, Endless, Gus Hyde
11233 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
HOME
Backpacking.net
Family Hiking
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Outdoor Gear Daily Deals
Outlets, Sales, Bargains

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum.com