Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#154451 - 09/08/11 09:44 AM Get rid of the pack
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
Excluding the pack, my weight for a 4 day trip is 21.5 pounds including food and water.

I'm seriously considering going to a web belt canteen to transfer some of the water load to my waist.

At less then 20 pounds, there is no need for a fancy pack suspension. In the past, I've used a knapsack made from a waterproof bag, a little bit of web belt and some 550 line. That's still an option as I have all those things already in the pack for other uses.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of a blanket roll as used in the civil war. The items I need during the day would be in a sausage link at the end. I like this idea because if one shoulder gets tired unlike a pack, I can just put it on the other shoulder.

Here is a good link on how to make and pack both of them.

I like the blanket roll better as it would be completely unique. I'll just have to see if the tarp for my hammock is really waterproof. Another option is to have two smaller ones and cross them. One for camp and one for during the day.

I'm also working on a design that would be able to fit under my rain jacket and serve as an extra inner layer.

Edited by Gershon (09/08/11 10:06 AM)

#154457 - 09/08/11 04:54 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
You might consider adopting the other part of the Civil War packing system: the haversack. They would wear the blanket roll over one shoulder (putting a shelter half or rubberized blanket on the outside, for weatherproofing, if they had one), and would hang the haversack from the other shoulder. They'd keep the little stuff (your sausage link) and some marching rations in it, as I recall.

#154461 - 09/08/11 06:19 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Now it starts to get fun. When you discover that there are many ways to get things done that gives you the opportunity to be creative, or retro if that is your thing.

Now get out there and hike that kit.

#154462 - 09/08/11 06:21 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Glenn]
Gershon Offline

Glenn, that is a great suggestion and I may have a small one. .

Today, I wrapped everything in a tarp. It reached from my feet to my knees and was the width and thickness of my legs.

Then I randomly picked up a pair of pants and threw them over my shoulders with the top in back.

I could sew the top shut and access the stuff I need during the day through my zipper. I'd sew the legs shut at crotch level so things don't migrate up or down.

I'd pack the legs with things I'll only need in camp and tie the ends with a piece of cord for now. If it works, I can sew the ends of the legs shut and have zippers sewn in the outside seams of the legs.

I think it's time to sacrifice an old pair of jeans to see what happens. But this weekend, I'm just going to pack the pack, go car camping and play with the hammock.

Gram Cracker

#154464 - 09/08/11 07:17 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: ringtail]
Gershon Offline

Originally Posted By ringtail
Now it starts to get fun. When you discover that there are many ways to get things done that gives you the opportunity to be creative, or retro if that is your thing.

Now get out there and hike that kit.

That's the real test, isn't it? Thanks for the challenge.

This weekend we are going car camping and taking someone who has never been camping before, so no long hikes.

But I will be using the hammock setup and packing just for myself and not using anything else to see if there are any flaws. For now, I'll just use my old pack. I haven't tested the jean pack yet.

#154470 - 09/08/11 10:47 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Gershon Offline

I just packed my pants. It's nice having the fleece at the bottom of one leg and the rain gear at the bottom of the other for quick access.

It will be necessary to sew the waist shut and put everything in the zipper. There will need to be a divider between the top and bottom so things don't migrate. I'm thinking I'll just sew something in the space.

I'll probably sew a couple water bottle pockets on the front and keep the third one in the top in the back.

It feels like giving a 20 pound kid a piggy back ride, except it doesn't try to scratch your eyes out. It took about 30 seconds to get used to the legs in front. I'll tie them loosely together so they don't interfere with the trekking poles.

It's pretty comical when I sit it on my couch and put a pair of shoes below the feet. I can imagine the reaction if I sit it on a rock on the trail and someone comes by.

For now, the rain cover will just be a cheap rainsuit bottom.

There is plenty of room for everything. This weekend, I'll try to have a prototype made from old jeans.

It will be worth it just for the fun factor.

#154474 - 09/09/11 01:30 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
FredMT Offline

Post pictures of these great ideas while using them on our planet or it didn't happen............

#154476 - 09/09/11 08:58 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
I have a reel mower. One of those one pushes to make the reel of blades spin. It works OK for small lawns with flat blade grass and no debris. When I bought it, that's what I had. Then I moved to a larger place with twigs and pine cones on the lawn. When a reel mower hits a pine cone, one comes to a sudden and bone jarring stop. I eventually upgraded to a gas powered mower, and now own a commercial walk-behind with a 36 inch cut. Pricey but really knocks the job out.

So my point is, there is a reason backpacks are used and bedroll packs are not.

That said, I'm all for trying different things if for no other reason than to just try them. But I'm also open to seeing when to go to what works. Find what works for you, even if its the same thing that works for everyone else, and even if it isn't.

smile

#154477 - 09/09/11 09:41 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: PerryMK]
Gershon Offline

When I set the pants pack on the couch it sits remarkably well and if I put some shoes under the legs, it looks pretty realistic. But it's missing something, the top half.

I admit I'm having a little fun with this now and it would only work wih a light pack (small lawn.) But I played with a jacket. As it turns out, I can put a zipper in the bottom, pack the sleeves and tie the ends. There is now a convenient zipper to access things in the back. And in the evening, it's a perfectly good jacket.

At night, the two can be attached together and used for an interesting bear bag.

It would be fun to see "Top Half" and "Bottom Half" walking down the trail.

Edited by Gershon (09/09/11 09:43 AM)

#154515 - 09/10/11 12:43 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I have a pack made from 6 plaastic grocery bags that hangs over my shoulders and divides the weight front and rear - weight? about 1 ounce.
Jim

#154519 - 09/10/11 05:19 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
I really like the idea of making a knapsack that can double as a ground cloth.
Thanks for the pdf.
I've used a 6x8 tarp as a blanket role with a small waist pack on my second solo overnighter . Worked well with light load and minimalist gear. Packed it three times to get it to carry nicely.
If I remember correctly it packed weighd 9# could be off as I Hung it from old fishing scale . I hiked 13miles to camp and besides a few adjustments no real complaints.

I do beleave I'm going to Google some DIY knapsack plans and try to make myself a ul day/overnight knapsack.

Thanks for rekindling the minimalist fire inside me! Samoset

Edited by Samoset (09/10/11 10:09 PM)

#154524 - 09/10/11 10:36 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Perren Offline

Loc: Blue Ridge, GA
Really?

Edited by Perren (09/10/11 10:39 PM)

#154525 - 09/10/11 10:37 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: PerryMK]
Perren Offline

Loc: Blue Ridge, GA
Tooo funny!!!

#154527 - 09/11/11 10:41 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
DIY atempts like this can lead to some good innovations. I have a gearskin that weigh 23 oz. and it carries well with up to 45 pounds. I hardly ever use it because it is finicky to pack. It must be packed in a specific order that just does not suit my style. Great piece of equipment, just not for me.

#154703 - 09/15/11 08:27 PM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
Outcasthiker Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Soldiers use backpacks now.

#154716 - 09/16/11 12:48 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Outcasthiker]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
Soliders may ware backpacks now but what do you imagine they evolved from?

I like the idea of gear skin but seems a bit heavy and I tend to use infltable pad.
I'm going to try and make a1/10 scale model of my ground sheet and fold it up diff ways Try and make like a sandwich bag/ envelope type pack.

Wow its amazing what a little bordom will do to a guy. I need a long hike in my meet future.

#154722 - 09/16/11 05:37 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Samoset]
Gershon Offline

The one problem with getting rid of the pack and using your tarp is you lose some convenience. You also have to consider what happens if you have to set up or break camp camp in the rain.

I've found as the pack gets smaller it becomes increasingly difficult to make the straps stay on as it's too narrow.

But the process did help me learn to pack my existing pack better.

#154723 - 09/16/11 06:20 AM Re: Get rid of the pack [Re: Gershon]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Keep the pack. Go lighter if you want with a no-frills pack. I have a large volume frameless pack which is only 9 oz. Just a nylon bag with straps and a couple of mesh side pockets. A pad makes the "frame". I have thought about redesigning it to also be able to "unfold" into a full (or partial) bivy sack. Since I use a hammock year round I never got beyond the sketch-design stage.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum